VOLLEYBALL STRUCTURED TO GROW

Guest bleeds

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason that any of you want Winnsboro to have volleyball is that you know then that you could compete with Winnsboro in basketball. Buddy has seen it hurt too many towns. With an enrollment of 375 there are not enough girls for another sport. These girls are already cheerleaders, in the drill team,cross country,band, and other activities. It is not feasible also with just one gym. There are 6 basketball teams that have to share the gym.

Oh wise ones, tell us how we could work in another 3 volleyball teams into that schedule.

Drop it once and for all, Winnsboro does not want or need the white fungus, ie. volleyball.

It may be for some schools but not Winnsboro.

Most all of AA and all of A schools having 375 or less students play volleyball. I know very little about Winnsboro and why they don't play volleyball and could care less. But don't EVER get on her and say , with a straight face that there is not enough students. when I've see many, many school girls competing to represent there school in every sport and activity where the HS population is 200 or less and be successful :thumbdown:

Volleyball season does very little wrap-over into basketball unless you make the playoffs and would not interfere with basketball unless your offseason is 9 months long.

Most schools have a middle school gym that is utilized.

If you think I'm crazy, fine, but this is the way most athletic programs work and use their facilities.

Do I seem to be annoyed, I am. I have developed a healthy annoyance with this whole Winnsboro soap opera and do not want it to ruin a good message board.

The bottom line is, if there is interest and the kids want to play a sport and the school can afford it then it should be offered regardless of what the basketball coach or any other coach says. I'm sure there are some kids at Winnsboro that would want to play volleyball. As far as hurting basketball? Look at some of the schools that have been at the state tournament in both sports, such as Poth in 2A or Windthorst in 1A and I'm sure there are many more.

The bottom line is, if there is interest and the kids want to play a sport and the school can afford it then it should be offered regardless of what the basketball coach or any other coach says. I'm sure there are some kids at Winnsboro that would want to play volleyball. As far as hurting basketball? Look at some of the schools that have been at the state tournament in both sports, such as Poth in 2A or Windthorst in 1A and I'm sure there are many more.

I have a suggestion and here it is: GO TO WINNSBORO AND WALK THE HALLS IN THE JUNIOR HIGH AND HIGH SCHOOL AND ASK THE GIRLS IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO PLAY VOLLEYBALL. See what the results would be. IF THEIR IS 15 GIRLS TOTAL THAT WANT IT THEN GOOD. If not, then it is a dead issue.

Fyi: Most of the girls probably do not even know what volleyball is.

Is is not the Buddy does not want it, it is the fact there is no interest.

It should also be of no interest to this board. Pay more attention to your schools and leave Winnsboro out of it.

I do not hate volleyball, Winnsboro does not hate it either. There is No interest plain and simple.

One would think if the discussion has been going on for seven years, it's time for the board to address it and not let THAT TYRANT BUDDY RUN THE SHOW!

As for the facilities, best I can figure, it's some tape/paint and two holes. Problem solved.

As for people who live in Winnsboro and pay taxes, YOU DON'T! If you're going to gauge who can comment on this by who pays taxes and lives in Winnsboro, then you have excluded yourself. So, until that changes, and until you move to Winnsboro and start paying WISD taxes, then ANYONE who wants to post their opinion on this can do so.

It is my opinion that volleyball has been excluded from WHS sports because your buddy Buddy doesn't want to lose his girls to the program. It is also my opinion that you put too much stock in what your buddy Buddy says.

As for you school board buddies who had the colorful words for the likes of me and others curious as to why they have been so obstinate in their refusal to allow all the girls who want to play volleyball at WHS to do so, if you would like, they are more than welcome to contact me and tell me personally what they think of my opinions on the subject. Have them sign on and PM me.

BTW, the general consensus is whoever believes their floor is too nice for volleyball is under a false sense of assuredness as to exactly how nice their floor is.

The times they are a-changin'.

One last time: IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Move to Winnsboro and then and only then would it be your business. Drop it!! You are so thick with one of the mods that you can get away with any and every thing on here.

I'm calling bravo sierra. :thumbdown:

BTW, NL plays girls' basketball and volleyball. They consistantly make the playoffs, year in/year out. Go to a volleyball game and then to a basketball game and you see pretty much the same faces, obviously with some exceptions.

One last time: IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Move to Winnsboro and then and only then would it be your business. Drop it!! You are so thick with one of the mods that you can get away with any and every thing on here.

A couple of things.

1) You made this thread about Winnsboro, not me. You asked for it.

2) Tell you what, why don't YOU move to Winnsboro, then and only then would it be your business.

Does this apply to you?

Obviously people from Winnsboro don't "harp all the time about other schools not having a certain program" because other schools have "certain" programs. If the people you talked to have such colorful words, tell them to grow a set and post 'em.

HERE GOES A BAN FOR 2 WEEKS OR LONGER: Here are their words not mine: The people on here are knowitalls when really that do not have a clue. REPHRASED to save being banned.

Spend more time with NL problelms and Paris problems than trying to tell Winnsboro what to do.

I do have an interest in Winnsboro. Until this semester, I had a great nephew in the school system and also friends children in the system.If I did not have interest then I could care less.

I have a suggestion and here it is: GO TO WINNSBORO AND WALK THE HALLS IN THE JUNIOR HIGH AND HIGH SCHOOL AND ASK THE GIRLS IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO PLAY VOLLEYBALL. See what the results would be. IF THEIR IS 15 GIRLS TOTAL THAT WANT IT THEN GOOD. If not, then it is a dead issue.

I have a suggestion and here IT is...

capslock.jpg

HERE GOES A BAN FOR 2 WEEKS OR LONGER: Here are their words not mine: The people on here are knowitalls when really that do not have a clue. REPHRASED to save being banned.

Spend more time with NL problelms and Paris problems than trying to tell Winnsboro what to do.

I do have an interest in Winnsboro. Until this semester, I had a great nephew in the school system and also friends children in the system.If I did not have interest then I could care less.

That's not what you said. You said:

Move to Winnsboro and then and only then would it be your business.

So, regardless of who you know or are related to in Winnsboro, until you move there, we're in the same boat. Both non-residents. So, why is my opinion any less valid than any other non-resident's?

BTW, it would seem to me Paris and NL are doing fine. I have thought about running for school board though. But thanks for your concern.

Cap lock is for emphasis: plain and simple. It is not breaking one single rule. Pictures on the other hand.

9. Disruptive Posting

Posts that disrupt the message boards for other users, intentional or not, are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited, to:

* Message posts or topic titles that force browsers to scroll horizontally. This includes too many quote boxes - trim your quote boxes! Only quote what you need to.

* Large blank or content-free posts

* "Bumping" in any form - this means "ttt", "bump", etc....

* Posting multiple identical or near-identical messages or topics, including "fad" topics

* Intentionally hard-to-read topic titles (AlTeRnAtE cApS, no spaces, no or excessive punctuation, 1337 speak, et cetera)

* Posting in ALL CAPS! This is especially irritating. Don't post in CAPS or your post will be deleted.* Posting multiple hard-to-read or nonsensical messages in a single or multiple topics

* Post counting (i.e. "First", "100th Post")

* Unsupported smilies, multiple smilies with no text.

Don't see anything about posting pics.

9. Disruptive Posting

Posts that disrupt the message boards for other users, intentional or not, are prohibited. This includes, but is not limited, to:

* Message posts or topic titles that force browsers to scroll horizontally. This includes too many quote boxes - trim your quote boxes! Only quote what you need to.

* Large blank or content-free posts

* "Bumping" in any form - this means "ttt", "bump", etc....

* Posting multiple identical or near-identical messages or topics, including "fad" topics

* Intentionally hard-to-read topic titles (AlTeRnAtE cApS, no spaces, no or excessive punctuation, 1337 speak, et cetera)

* Posting in ALL CAPS! This is especially irritating. Don't post in CAPS or your post will be deleted.* Posting multiple hard-to-read or nonsensical messages in a single or multiple topics

* Post counting (i.e. "First", "100th Post")

* Unsupported smilies, multiple smilies with no text.

Don't see anything about posting pics.

\

Bashing is also a rule. It seems to have been done several times on this thread and others where Buddy Hawkins and Winnsboro are concerned.

BRF, I'm not sure, can't make any promises, but I'd bet if you'd stop posting about Winnsboro in a thread about the explosion of popularity in the sport of volleyball, people might go back to talking about how popular volleyball is, and stop talking about the glaring absence of said sport in Winnsboro.

Don't you think?

Is is not the Buddy does not want it, it is the fact there is no interest.

It should also be of no interest to this board. Pay more attention to your schools and leave Winnsboro out of it.

I do not hate volleyball, Winnsboro does not hate it either. There is No interest plain and simple.

So you know for a fact, that there is no interest in volleyball at Winnsboro. But to say that most of the girls do not even know what volleyball is? Wow. So, do you have running water up there?

So you know for a fact, that there is no interest in volleyball at Winnsboro. But to say that most of the girls do not even know what volleyball is? Wow. So, do you have running water up there?

Yes, I know for a fact. The girls in Winnsboro grow up living and breathing basketball. From the 4th grade up there are probably over 150 girls involved in the program. If there had been an interest some of the parents would have already been in contact with the administration or school board. I will make a deal with you. I happen to be friends with the President of the school board who is also an avid basketball and football fan, I will ask him this weekend when I see in Brownsboro about this subject and will get back to this board with a report.

Can any of the schools that currently have volleyball tell me how long they have had the program and how long it took from inception for it to really take off? For example, many people say that when a school hires a new coach for football, it sometimes takes 2-5 years to turn around a program. Would like to know how long it takes before volleyball really picks up in a school that has never had it. I am assuming that coaching experience, community buy-in, etc. all would come in to play... so let's say you have a knowledgeable coach and everyone is on board with starting the volleyball program.

I've got a long time friend that has a child that goes to school in Mattoon, IL I wonder if I could be the spokesman for all the children in their school district, I mean the kids like a nephew to me....hmmmm, do they play volleyball in IL? I've read somewhere it is one of the fastest growing sports in high school.

Can any of the schools that currently have volleyball tell me how long they have had the program and how long it took from inception for it to really take off? For example, many people say that when a school hires a new coach for football, it sometimes takes 2-5 years to turn around a program. Would like to know how long it takes before volleyball really picks up in a school that has never had it. I am assuming that coaching experience, community buy-in, etc. all would come in to play... so let's say you have a knowledgeable coach and everyone is on board with starting the volleyball program.

There are exceptions to the rule but most of the time one or the other program suffers.

Here are the facts to getting a program started:

1. balls

2. uniforms

3. coaches at junior high and high school level

4. REMODEL the Gym

5> Utilities for the gym

6. workers at the games

7. offiicials

8. net and poles

Just to name a few things.

I am no expert on this subject so I just offer opinions, but I believe there are a couple of factors that would determine how long it would take. First would be the size of your school, how many athletes do you have to choose from. Larger schools typically have volleyball players and that is all they do, whereas smaller schools the girls play all sports because an athlete is an athlete and they are needed. Second, would be what do you put you emphasis on? Seems like you have to pick something to work extra at. An example would be my daughter. She plays volleyball, basketball, and does track. But she focuses on basketball, meaning in her off time (summer) that is the sport she is playing. So if you have a good group of girls who work extra on volleyball then it might not take that long to be successful, but if you play the sport just to play it then you might not ever get there. Just my thoughts on it.