VOLLEYBALL STRUCTURED TO GROW

Guest bleeds

Can any of the schools that currently have volleyball tell me how long they have had the program and how long it took from inception for it to really take off? For example, many people say that when a school hires a new coach for football, it sometimes takes 2-5 years to turn around a program. Would like to know how long it takes before volleyball really picks up in a school that has never had it. I am assuming that coaching experience, community buy-in, etc. all would come in to play... so let's say you have a knowledgeable coach and everyone is on board with starting the volleyball program.

First of all, I am glad that volleyball is growing in popularity. I really think that it is a great sport. Many new fans come about after coming to some good, competitive games.

I know that Henderson a 4A school has only had volleyball for 9 years. In those 9 years they have had 4-5 different coaches. 2008 was the first year they made it to the play-offs. There is a lot of interest there and a lot of the girls play other sports (basketball, soccer, softball). Let's just hope that volleyball continues to grow in popularity.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no expert on this subject so I just offer opinions, but I believe there are a couple of factors that would determine how long it would take. First would be the size of your school, how many athletes do you have to choose from. Larger schools typically have volleyball players and that is all they do, whereas smaller schools the girls play all sports because an athlete is an athlete and they are needed. Second, would be what do you put you emphasis on? Seems like you have to pick something to work extra at. An example would be my daughter. She plays volleyball, basketball, and does track. But she focuses on basketball, meaning in her off time (summer) that is the sport she is playing. So if you have a good group of girls who work extra on volleyball then it might not take that long to be successful, but if you play the sport just to play it then you might not ever get there. Just my thoughts on it.

I agree. If you start a program from scratch with the kids never playing at all then it will take you a good long while. (A lot of skill involved in volleyball) If it has been introduced in P.E. classes and kids learn a little along the way then it might not take as long. I believe that Carthage started volleyball back around 95 or so. I may be wrong on the exact year. Anyway, I scheduled them thinking that it would be a good win for a 1A over a 4A at the time. What I didn't know was that these girls had been playing club or whatever or taking lessons or something because they were already pretty good. We had it handed to us.

There are exceptions to the rule but most of the time one or the other program suffers.

Here are the facts to getting a program started:

1. balls

2. uniforms

3. coaches at junior high and high school level

4. REMODEL the Gym

5> Utilities for the gym

6. workers at the games

7. offiicials

8. net and poles

Just to name a few things.

BRF, at the risk of inciting you further... I did not ask you. You have made it abundantly clear that your school does not have Volleyball and have no intentions of starting the program. My 10 year old could come up with the list that you provided. I specifically asked posters that already have a volleyball program at their school and was truly looking for some experienced insight. But thanks for responding anyway.

BRF, at the risk of inciting you further... I did not ask you. You have made it abundantly clear that your school does not have Volleyball and have no intentions of starting the program. My 10 year old could come up with the list that you provided. I specifically asked posters that already have a volleyball program at their school and was truly looking for some experienced insight. But thanks for responding anyway.

And besides that, the cost of the things on the list is actually pretty low. As for the "REMODEL" of the gym, let me see, that's some tape or paint, and two holes. Not sure what utilities would be needed other than what is currently in a gym.

I agree. If you start a program from scratch with the kids never playing at all then it will take you a good long while. (A lot of skill involved in volleyball) If it has been introduced in P.E. classes and kids learn a little along the way then it might not take as long. I believe that Carthage started volleyball back around 95 or so. I may be wrong on the exact year. Anyway, I scheduled them thinking that it would be a good win for a 1A over a 4A at the time. What I didn't know was that these girls had been playing club or whatever or taking lessons or something because they were already pretty good. We had it handed to us.

I thought it might take a while. Basketball and softball are the girls prime sports around here. We are a small school, less than 290 in enrollment. I know in speaking with the girls, they would love to try it. Just as most of our male athletes work to play every sport. I'm not sure the coaches are as excited about it as they believe it pulls from the other programs as well. Yet, I see small schools around doing it all the time with many of the same athletes playing both basketball and volleyball. They seem to be very successful in both sports. Is it difficult for a small school to field an appropriate knowledgeable coaching staff so that other programs do not suffer?

There are exceptions to the rule but most of the time one or the other program suffers.

Here are the facts to getting a program started:

1. balls

2. uniforms

3. coaches at junior high and high school level

4. REMODEL the Gym

5> Utilities for the gym

6. workers at the games

7. offiicials

8. net and poles

Just to name a few things.

Volleyball is one of the least expensive team sports in High Schools. Initially it will cost a little more especially if you have to have a net system put in but it is not that expensive. The uniforms are not as much since you don't have to have a home and away jersey. But if a school is stressing out over the cost of starting up volleyball then you probably can't afford it anyway.

Guest bearbacker
Is Buddyball similar to tetherball?

See.... I'm going out of my way to see if you guys, besides PP, say ANYTHING clever whatsoever. ^ THIS, my friends, is funny!

I thought it might take a while. Basketball and softball are the girls prime sports around here. We are a small school, less than 290 in enrollment. I know in speaking with the girls, they would love to try it. Just as most of our male athletes work to play every sport. I'm not sure the coaches are as excited about it as they believe it pulls from the other programs as well. Yet, I see small schools around doing it all the time with many of the same athletes playing both basketball and volleyball. They seem to be very successful in both sports. Is it difficult for a small school to field an appropriate knowledgeable coaching staff so that other programs do not suffer?

I would think with your school size that if you had your primary athletes playing volleyball you could be successful at it. Our school (which emphasizes basketball and softball also) plays volleyball but we are not as successful at it because most in our district are larger schools that have volleyball only players and spend there off season playing volleyball. The lack of success doesn't keep the girls from trying, they all still play because they like the change of pace of volleyball. It is just something different.

The way we handle practicing both sports is to split the athletic period days up. Two days for volleyball and two for basketball. Then they practice volleyball after school in vball season then switch to bball just before the season starts. It puts us a little behind for basketball season at the start but we catch up. You do need a good coach though, that knows something about basketball, we are fortunate to have one.

I would think with your school size that if you had your primary athletes playing volleyball you could be successful at it. Our school (which emphasizes basketball and softball also) plays volleyball but we are not as successful at it because most in our district are larger schools that have volleyball only players and spend there off season playing volleyball. The lack of success doesn't keep the girls from trying, they all still play because they like the change of pace of volleyball. It is just something different.

The way we handle practicing both sports is to split the athletic period days up. Two days for volleyball and two for basketball. Then they practice volleyball after school in vball season then switch to bball just before the season starts. It puts us a little behind for basketball season at the start but we catch up. You do need a good coach though, that knows something about basketball, we are fortunate to have one.

I don't think it is fair to the volleyball program if you are practicing basketball during the athletic period during volleyball season. If a girl does not play volleyball then she should be practicing basketball during the period but don't have your volleyball/basketball girl doing basketball during volleyball season. Play volleyball during volleyball season and basketball during basketball season.

I don't think it is fair to the volleyball program if you are practicing basketball during the athletic period during volleyball season. If a girl does not play volleyball then she should be practicing basketball during the period but don't have your volleyball/basketball girl doing basketball during volleyball season. Play volleyball during volleyball season and basketball during basketball season.

Hmmm. Mt. Vernon not practicing basketball until basketball season starts? Not going to happen.

That's why Mt. Vernon and Pitt are at the bottom of the district in volleyball.

And why Mt. Vernon is at the top of district in basketball? I would say it has more to do with the size of our school compared to others in our district, and the number of girls we have that consider volleyball their number one sport. Zero.

Like I said they all still do play and represent their school the best they can. I don't think it is killing the volleyball program to give up two hours a week for basketball. If it is then they could easily make that up after school.

And why Mt. Vernon is at the top of district in basketball? I would say it has more to do with the size of our school compared to others in our district, and the number of girls we have that consider volleyball their number one sport. Zero.

Like I said they all still do play and represent their school the best they can. I don't think it is killing the volleyball program to give up two hours a week for basketball. If it is then they could easily make that up after school.

no message

I think one of the problems that I had when having to deal with the basketball during volleyball is taking the focus off of volleyball. Volleyball like many other sports is so mental. If the kids like it the way it is then there is not much you can say about it. I had some awesome basketball kids playing volleyball and believe it or not volleyball is what they wanted to focus on during volleyball season even though basketball probably was their better sport.

I think one of the problems that I had when having to deal with the basketball during volleyball is taking the focus off of volleyball. Volleyball like many other sports is so mental. If the kids like it the way it is then there is not much you can say about it. I had some awesome basketball kids playing volleyball and believe it or not volleyball is what they wanted to focus on during volleyball season even though basketball probably was their better sport.

Good point, but I don't set the rules just have my daughter follow them.

That all being said, Mt. Vernon might actually compete for a playoff spot in the upcoming years. The current freshmen are really good at volleyball, only losing a couple games their entire junior high seasons. Plus we have some that are starting to go to camps to get better. So we shall see.

Good point, but I don't set the rules just have my daughter follow them.

That all being said, Mt. Vernon might actually compete for a playoff spot in the upcoming years. The current freshmen are really good at volleyball, only losing a couple games their entire junior high seasons. Plus we have some that are starting to go to camps to get better. So we shall see.

Camps are important. It would be great to see them succeed in both sports. It can be done!!

Here is a message for Bleeds,

I have never been a volleyball fan until I recently went to a playoff volleyball game. The atmosphere was great!!!! I don't really understand all the rules or points but I did understand the fact that the crowd and players were pumped and the game gets pretty intense when the score is 23-23 in the 3rd game!!!

I am a learning fan of this sport, nice thread.

The only reason that any of you want Winnsboro to have volleyball is that you know then that you could compete with Winnsboro in basketball. Buddy has seen it hurt too many towns. With an enrollment of 375 there are not enough girls for another sport. These girls are already cheerleaders, in the drill team,cross country,band, and other activities. It is not feasible also with just one gym. There are 6 basketball teams that have to share the gym.

Oh wise ones, tell us how we could work in another 3 volleyball teams into that schedule.

Drop it once and for all, Winnsboro does not want or need the white fungus, ie. volleyball.

It may be for some schools but not Winnsboro.

Wow, I find these posts remarkably amusing, all the pitiful excuses BRF can make up. Alright, first of all your main point I have noticed is that your school does not have the funds to make a "new gym & facilities" correct? Btw, the excuse that an enrollment of 375 people you dont have enough players is LUDACRIS, when a school enrollment of 200 in your district has 3 volleyball teams and was 1 match away from the playoffs. Also, the same school, Alba-Golden, is obviously not as big as Winnsboro or Winnsboro's community but yet we just got in new facilities 2 years ago. Winnsboro has had that same gym/facilities for how many years? 15-20? How can a school that big (used to be a 3A and was for a good while if I remember correctly) not come up with the funds in 15-20 years for another gym, HECK not just for volleyball but for its most prized sport, basketball. Once again, AG has been able to do this and plan on building them a new gym in in the next 2 years. If you want me to state somewhere besides good ole alba-golden, I can also point out that Grand Saline just built a whole new school (3 gym floors) and everything back in 2005. Who's to say that with the girl athletes that Winnsboro has that they couldnt be #1 in Volleyball also? I imagine that alot of the girls that dont play basketball would love volleyball, considering that to most schools, Volleyball is like Boys Football for girls.

Just my 2 cents so dont get so offended BRF.

^

I would have to agree with the enrollment not being a factor, Prairiland has a great volleyball program and are a small 2A school. I went to a large 5-A school and if you didn't play football but were on the basketball team, you were required to play men's volleyball, the toughest competition they faced were from some of the smaller enrollment schools.

Wow, I find these posts remarkably amusing, all the pitiful excuses BRF can make up. Alright, first of all your main point I have noticed is that your school does not have the funds to make a "new gym & facilities" correct? Btw, the excuse that an enrollment of 375 people you dont have enough players is LUDACRIS, when a school enrollment of 200 in your district has 3 volleyball teams and was 1 match away from the playoffs. Also, the same school, Alba-Golden, is obviously not as big as Winnsboro or Winnsboro's community but yet we just got in new facilities 2 years ago. Winnsboro has had that same gym/facilities for how many years? 15-20? How can a school that big (used to be a 3A and was for a good while if I remember correctly) not come up with the funds in 15-20 years for another gym, HECK not just for volleyball but for its most prized sport, basketball. Once again, AG has been able to do this and plan on building them a new gym in in the next 2 years. If you want me to state somewhere besides good ole alba-golden, I can also point out that Grand Saline just built a whole new school (3 gym floors) and everything back in 2005. Who's to say that with the girl athletes that Winnsboro has that they couldnt be #1 in Volleyball also? I imagine that alot of the girls that dont play basketball would love volleyball, considering that to most schools, Volleyball is like Boys Football for girls.

Just my 2 cents so dont get so offended BRF.

One last comment and I am going to drop it on the advice of counsel. The gym is 35 years old. The reason that we, Winnsboro I mean, can not have new facilities is that the older people who are being brain washed by a certain citizen base, do not think that they need it. They believe that their taxes will go up. Little do they know if they have been like my mother, her taxes have been frozen for the last 25 years, their taxes would be frozen also. There are more older people than young couples. The young couples would be the ones to be footing the bill for the new school. It is has also been put on hold indefintely because of the economical crunch right now. The kids are suffering at the expense of the older people who do not have any kids or grandchildren.

They have brought two plots of land and it will probably be 2015 or later before Winnsboro will get new facilities. Price will have tripled in that length of time. What at one time would have cost 10-15 millions will cost upwards of 30-40 million for the same exact building when they decide to pass a bond election and build.

One last comment and I am going to drop it on the advice of counsel. The gym is 35 years old. The reason that we, Winnsboro I mean, can not have new facilities is that the older people who are being brain washed by a certain citizen base, do not think that they need it. They believe that their taxes will go up. Little do they know if they have been like my mother, her taxes have been frozen for the last 25 years, their taxes would be frozen also. There are more older people than young couples. The young couples would be the ones to be footing the bill for the new school. It is has also been put on hold indefintely because of the economical crunch right now. The kids are suffering at the expense of the older people who do not have any kids or grandchildren.

They have brought two plots of land and it will probably be 2015 or later before Winnsboro will get new facilities. Price will have tripled in that length of time. What at one time would have cost 10-15 millions will cost upwards of 30-40 million for the same exact building when they decide to pass a bond election and build.

Well then theres really nothing they can do, I can understand how it would be hard if you only have one gym floor (do yall not have an elementary gym or anything?). Our scheduling is very hard also, most of the time the jv/varsitys have the gym in the afternoon and the JH teams have the morning practice. All I can say is that the Winnsboro community seems pretty cheap to me, and if they cant see what you just mentioned, that the price keeps going up the more they wait, then they should not be on the School Board. Just my opinion, and heck this is not just about volleyball,basketball anything like that. Their Football field definitely could use some work as well as their softball/baseball fields and definetly their football facilities, omg their the worst in the district, no offense. Theres not much more I can say on this subject, but BRF just stop being so touchy on the subject, its not in your hands you cant control it or anything, unless your one of those on the board which I truly doubt considering from what I've gathered you live in/near Tyler. Good luck to Winnsboro in getting these issues resolved, hopefully the board members will start paying attention to what the kids need instead of whats in their wallets. :thumbdown:

Winnsboro at one time was a pretty well off school district. They have lost industry after industry over the past 20 years. The tax base continues to dwindle. Winnsboro will never get a new football field in my lifetime. I was told this by a board member when I mentioned it to them.

I know that Winnsboro facilities are the worst in the district. I would love to move back to Winnsboro but it is not feasible right now.

I have traveled the highways and byways following sports and Winnsboro is no where near, some of the schools that I have seen.

Now I am probably going to make the people mad who I have been defending. I think that the majority of the people know that the facilities need work.