VOLLEYBALL STRUCTURED TO GROW

Guest bleeds

OK, whistlme - I will have our BB girls yell "Yeah!!!!!!" at the top of their lungs every time we score a basket. Or maybe we can perform a ritualistic and choreographed dance after every made free throw.

It's taunting no matter what spin you put on it.

Not talking basketball.......... talking about volleyball.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, exactly - it is taunting when a kid spikes the ball for a point then yells "Yeah!!!" through the net. It is taunting when a kid serves an average ball over the net, the opponent botches the return, and the serving team does a choreographed dance with a loud "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ACE!!!" at the end.

My point was that kids in other sports can't do that. It should be outlawed for volleyball. High five each other, then line up to play.

Volleyball - taunting.

OK, whistlme - I will have our BB girls yell "Yeah!!!!!!" at the top of their lungs every time we score a basket. Or maybe we can perform a ritualistic and choreographed dance after every made free throw.

It's taunting no matter what spin you put on it.

I've coached volleyball for a while and I have never liked the cheering that goes on between serves. It is just part of the game I guess so I have to live with it. Sometimes my girls are more concerned with what cheer to do instead of playing the game.lol My kids are not as fanatically about it as some teams though. Most cheers are done for motivation but there are some that I would classify as taunting. If it makes my girls happy to do these "non taunting" cheers then I am all for it.

• 2 months later...
Yes, exactly - it is taunting when a kid spikes the ball for a point then yells "Yeah!!!" through the net. It is taunting when a kid serves an average ball over the net, the opponent botches the return, and the serving team does a choreographed dance with a loud "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ACE!!!" at the end.

My point was that kids in other sports can't do that. It should be outlawed for volleyball. High five each other, then line up to play.

Volleyball - taunting.

First, I believe you are confusing taunting with celebrating. Or perhaps you are watching the wrong teams. I have seen plenty of celebrating this season, but no taunting. Taunting is directing something negative towards the opposition; celebrating is shared with teammates. In your example of an ace serve, I see players turn to each other in the center of their court and celebrate the point. Obviously this display is not meant to uplift the opposing team, but it is not directed at them and it is not taunting.

You have to realize the unique aspects of volleyball. A point is scored EVERY time the ball is put in play and there is a stoppage of play after EVERY point. That provides dozens of opportunities to celebrate and encourage during a match.

If you think about it logically, it seems a little odd that UIL would only allow taunting in volleyball. If you don't see taunting (as you define it) in other sports, you are just not watching:

Football - Def. lineman dances near fallen QB he has just sacked.

Football - End zone celebrations in the midst of the beaten defense after TD.

Football - LB stands over and stares at RB he has just stopped cold.

Basketball - players step across their opponents to hand slap the FT shooter after EVERY shot.

Basketball - player stares down an opposing player he has knocked down with a hard foul.

Basketball - staring and jawing after one player has scored over an opposing player.

Baseball - celebration at home plate following a home run.

Soccer - racing through a beaten defense with hands raised after scoring a goal.

And yes, many of these are also ritualistic and choreographed.

Volleyball is a fine sport. One thing I enjoy about it is the constant celebration and encouragement. The players are always "up". It is often difficult to tell from their behavior whether they are winning or losing.