DAINGERFIELD WINS CLASS 2-A, DIVISION II STATE CHAMPIONSHIP...

Hardball

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JAKEBRAKE

How good is Daingerfield's defense? Well, it held four teams to zero points this year. Teams like Blanco, West Rusk, Atlanta, and Omaha Paul Pewitt didn't fare much better. None of them scored more than 7 points in losses to Daingerfield. And then there's Celina, a team Daingerfield beat 28-20. Two reminders: Celina is playing for a 3A title tonight, and in the playoffs, Celina is averaging more than 50 points per game (but there's no truth to any rumors that OU coaches are scouting Celina's practices to get some tips on offense).

But those results notwithstanding, I realized today why the Daingerfield defense is so good -- it has made its offensive players nearly anonymous. Think about. When you talk football, you always start talking about a team's quarterback or running back or a powerful offensive line. Defense usually takes a backseat in the conversation, and the offense always rides shotgun. But Daingerfield has been an exception, and two linebackers probably are the biggest reasons why. Senior Carl Moore, named the 2A Defensive Player of the Year, and Julius Hurndon have combined for 215 tackles, including 40 for losses. They're both strong against the run, but they can efficiently defend the pass, too (when they're not blitzing, that is -- they have a combined seven sacks).

As good as Daingerfield's defense is, we can't overlook Daingerfield's offensive standouts. QB Tyler Boyd crossed the 2,000-yard mark passing in the playoffs, upping his season stats to 2,198 yards and 22 TDs. He has rushed for an additional 768 yards and 14 scores, but Daingerfield's primary running threat is KoKo Smith (1,392 yards, 22 TDs).

When it comes to Cisco, offense and defense must be mentioned in the same breath, because Cisco's top player stands out on both sides. QB Josh Bridges is an all-state caliber player at both quarterback (where he has 2,268 total yards and 18 TDs this year) and defensive back (where he was second-team all-state last season).

Though Cisco opened the year No. 1, it doesn't seem like the favorite. Part of the explanation is Cisco's 20-6 loss to Clyde in the regular season, a defeat that knocked Cisco out of the top spot. But the main reason is the team lining up across from Cisco. Daingerfield is finally starting to experience the success many people predicted when Daingerfield dropped down from 3A.

This is more s skilled team with an unusual amount of speed. As good as Cisco is, I don't think it can match Daingerfield in that area.

Padilla Poll says: Cisco by 2

Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Daingerfield by 7

TexasFootball.com says: Daingerfield 40, Cisco 28

This came off Dave Campbells website. I bet all 32 dollars I have in the bank that the offense won't be so anonymous next year. They will be the most explosive offense in all of 2A.

You are a loser! What a classless attempt at humor. Don't worry though, I am sure your time on Smoaky is done.

Was not attempting humor, just responding to the name calling started by the other poster. I have attempted to be respectful in all my posts up until the last one.

Lobo, here'S my 2 Cents On youR littlE Banter pOst. Do the BuffAlo Bills Ring your little Ding dong. SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOSER SON! As the great philanthroper Nelly once said "We Are....Number 1" Nobody remembers second place! Ya'll were good, just not Tiger good!

I responded to name calling. My post had nothing to do with the game. If you check my previous posts I have praised your team and congratulated the Tigers and Tiger Nation on their State Title. The post was not aimed at anyone other than the original poster who started the name calling. Just because one of your fans has called me a name doesn't mean I have lost respect for your team nor consider the entire Tiger Nation as name callers. So why do you take what was clearly meant for one poster as an affront to you or your team?

I responded to name calling. My post had nothing to do with the game. If you check my previous posts I have praised your team and congratulated the Tigers and Tiger Nation on their State Title. The post was not aimed at anyone other than the original poster who started the name calling. Just because one of your fans has called me a name doesn't mean I have lost respect for your team nor consider the entire Tiger Nation as name callers. So why do you take what was clearly meant for one poster as an affront to you or your team?

You attack one member of the Nation and you attack us all!

TIGER GIVES SHOUT OUT TO TIGER NATION:

From the Longview News Journal:

Jacob Hall, a senior center for this year's Tigers, said watching video footage of those past teams fueled the desire to start a new tradition in Morris County. Having the bleachers packed with community supporters who were either part of those teams or remember Daingerfield's glory years adds more than just warm bodies to the stands.

"When we have packed stands and the other side doesn't have as many, it's intimidation," Hall said. "It makes you want to play harder."

TIGER NATION - LOUD AND PROUD!

Dave Campbell's Texas Football announced on Monday that the Sulphur Springs Wildcats , Carthage Bulldogs and Daingerfield Tigers have all been named the Army Strong Team of the Week for their class.

The Wildcats defeated Dayton, 69-49 for the 4A Division II title. The Bulldogs defeated Celina, 49-37 to capture the 3A Division II title and the Tigers defeated Cisco, 26-8 to win the 2A Division II title.The awards will presented to all of the school's at a later date.

Ha!Ha!, thanks for proving my point buddy. You are as classless as i thought, and like the other guys said we put the smackdown on you on the field, and if you want to run your mouth, we can do the same thang on this website. Now that is a bad week, your team gets drummed in the state game, now you got The Nation breathing down your back. Good job fella, way to rep Cisco. Thanks for the support guys.

Ha!Ha!, thanks for proving my point buddy. You are as classless as i thought, and like the other guys said we put the smackdown on you on the field, and if you want to run your mouth, we can do the same thang on this website. Now that is a bad week, your team gets drummed in the state game, now you got The Nation breathing down your back. Good job fella, way to rep Cisco. Thanks for the support guys.

i give him an a for iniciative.

Classless? You were the one that used the term "Jabroni" which is a very insulting term in my Italian-American heritage. I haven't run my mouth except in response to your use of a term that is a huge insult. When I posted in response to your insult was not me "reping" Cisco it was me replying to a personal attack. I did not think your classless use of that term was endorsed by the Tiger Nation except for the one or two thatcame to your defense. I think the majority on this forum are decent people that deserve the utmost respect. Too bad that you tarnish the forum and the Tiger Nation with the use of this term. I will leave your forum at this time with the highest praise for the young men who are State Champions and 99.9% of the Tiger Nation. But for you I can only pity.

• 3 years later...