OU minus Murry for BCS Championship.

ESPN.com news services

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma Sooners running back DeMarco Murray will have surgery to repair a partial rupture of his left hamstring tendon and will not play in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game against the Florida Gators on Jan. 8.

Murray, the Sooners' second-leading rusher, was injured on the opening kickoff of the Big 12 championship game on Dec. 6. The Sooners initially believed Murray had suffered a bruise, but an MRI exam revealed the injury to be more serious. Surgery has been scheduled for Dec. 22, the university said.

The school said that according to head trainer Scott Anderson, it will be about five months before Murray is cleared to resume training.

Murray gained 1,002 yards rushing this season, just eight fewer than team rushing leader Chris Brown. He led the Sooners in all-purpose yards with 2,171, with 395 receiving yards and another 774 yards in kickoff returns, scoring 18 touchdowns.

"Obviously we're very disappointed for DeMarco," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "He has been an important part of our success this year and we will miss his contributions. DeMarco has had an incredible year. "

"With Chris Brown and Mossis Madu, we still have two very fine backs. Our team has a lot of confidence in their abilities."

ESPN.com news services

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma Sooners running back DeMarco Murray will have surgery to repair a partial rupture of his left hamstring tendon and will not play in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game against the Florida Gators on Jan. 8.

Murray, the Sooners' second-leading rusher, was injured on the opening kickoff of the Big 12 championship game on Dec. 6. The Sooners initially believed Murray had suffered a bruise, but an MRI exam revealed the injury to be more serious. Surgery has been scheduled for Dec. 22, the university said.

The school said that according to head trainer Scott Anderson, it will be about five months before Murray is cleared to resume training.

Murray gained 1,002 yards rushing this season, just eight fewer than team rushing leader Chris Brown. He led the Sooners in all-purpose yards with 2,171, with 395 receiving yards and another 774 yards in kickoff returns, scoring 18 touchdowns.

"Obviously we're very disappointed for DeMarco," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "He has been an important part of our success this year and we will miss his contributions. DeMarco has had an incredible year. "

"With Chris Brown and Mossis Madu, we still have two very fine backs. Our team has a lot of confidence in their abilities."

darn too bad florida will win either way

Guest CNOrtega

Well, losing a 1,000 yard rusher really hurts. Hard to replace.

OH WAIT!!!

Oklahoma has TWO 1,000 yard rushers. Chris Brown will suffice nicely, and Madu runs like a man possessed. Oklahoma will be just fine. Oklahoma will win.

Guest CNOrtega
How many times have you said that during BCS bowl games the last 5 years?

What bowl is A&M playing at this year? Oh, sorry.

2003: LSU had a fantastic defense

2004: USC was head and shoulders better than anybody that year in the NCAA

2006: Nobody outside of Idaho thought Boise had a snowball's chance, they came out of nowhere and shocked everyone. Don't act like you saw it coming, because you didn't.

2007: Pat White took it to another level in that game, OU didn't have an answer for him

2006: Nobody outside of Idaho thought Boise had a snowball's chance, they came out of nowhere and shocked everyone. Don't act like you saw it coming, because you didn't.

2007: Pat White took it to another level in that game, OU didn't have an answer for him

So you've given me a reason why ou has lost it's last bcs bowl games, why do you think they have an answer for Tebow/Harvin? And don't say the offense because Florida's defense will get more stops than OU's offense has seen all year.

Guest CNOrtega

Oklahoma's defense will be just good enough to slow Tebow down. Oklahoma will have little trouble scoring on Florida's defense. They'll simply set a pace that Florida won't be able to keep up with.

^OU fans are good at making excuses aren't they.... The one thing you aren't factoring in this year's game is how much better Urban Meyer is than Bob Stoops. Go look at Meyer's career and most importantly how his teams (utah and florida) have played in big games - you know the ones with some sort of trophy presentation at the end... Then go look at stoops' record in said games...

2003: LSU was better all around

2004: That same USC squad got beat by Texas the next season.

2006: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

2007: West Virginia, hmmm?

So you've given me a reason why ou has lost it's last bcs bowl games, why do you think they have an answer for Tebow/Harvin? And don't say the offense because Florida's defense will get more stops than OU's offense has seen all year.

You forgot about OU playing Texas in the Cotton Bowl. I thought when the title game was officially announced that OU wouldn't have too many problems scoring on Florida, but now I'm thinking they may with the loss of Murray.

Yes, you have Brown, but Brown is no game breaker and all OU fans know it. Madu is more of a game breaker than Brown. Brown is a good running back and a dependable running back, but he's no Adrian Peterson.

Florida just got a little more confidence, but, but, but, what just a minute............

Florida may not have Mullen calling plays in the title game either.

Who knows what's going to happen. I can see OU getting whipped, and I can see OU winning be a touchdown. I just haven't decided yet.

QUIT WHINING !!!

QUIT WHINING !!!

now that is funny...a horn telling someone else to quit whining :lol:

What i'm excited about is OU beating Florida without Murry...What will everyone say then???? Absolutely nothing!!!!! Silence the masses and watch in awe of the Oklahoma Sooner...National Champions! :notworthy:

What i'm excited about is OU beating Florida without Murry...What will everyone say then???? Absolutely nothing!!!

You show your youth there, friend... for there is always something to say. UT fans will keep harping on "45-35" until the results of next year's RRS, and then (irrespective of the outcome) it will be something else. Even now there's ignorant and half-witted references to "UT-Norman" and "NCs followed by sanctions" by message board heroes and intarweb tough-guys.

I think you would be best served to simply ignore all the nonsense and only respond to the posts of content by the precious few individuals here that actually have something worthwhile to say. The rest is mere cheerleading and small-man urination contests.

I think you would be best served to simply ignore all the nonsense and only respond to the posts of content by the precious few individuals here that actually have something worthwhile to say. The rest is mere cheerleading and small-man urination contests.

:notworthy: you are 100% correct my man...thank you!