Billy Simms apologizes...

Immortal13

....for his behavior at the Heisman ceremony. Though he claimed he didn't mean to, I thought he made a fool of himself and embarassed Bradford after the winner was announced. A true hack if ever there was one.

Billy Sims apologizes for cheering stunt at Heisman ceremony

NEW YORK — Former Oklahoma running back Billy Sims, winner of the 1978 Heisman Trophy, apologized Monday night if he "crossed a boundary” during Saturday’s Heisman Trophy presentation.

But that doesn’t mean he plans to stop saying "Boomer.”

Sims has come under fire since shouting "Boomer” 11 times from the stage of the Nokia Theater after it was announced OU quarterback Sam Bradford was this year’s Heisman winner.

"I hear I’ve been getting some bad press, that I say ‘Boomer Sooner’ too much,” Sims said during Monday’s black-tie Heisman award ceremony at the New York Hilton before leading the event’s public benefit auction. "In no way did I mean to upstage Sam’s night. I love Oklahoma so much, and I try to be a spokesman for the university. I will never, ever stop saying ‘Boomer.’

"But I apologize to the Bradford family and the Heisman Trust if I crossed a boundary. Sam’s dad, Kent, was a teammate of mine and was part of my Heisman season. That’s why I was so happy for Sam.”

Later, Heisman Trust member Sanford Wurmfeld, who presented the Heisman Trophy to Bradford on Saturday, came to Sims’ defense.

"If someone told Billy that the Heisman Trust was unhappy with him, that is far from the case,” Wurmfeld said.

link

Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2008

For Tebow, snub is personal

Tim Tebow used his third-place Heisman Trophy finish to add a little fuel for the BCS national championship game on Jan. 8 in Miami. Make that a little jet fuel.

The Florida Gators’ dynamic quarterback came up short in his bid to be the second two-time Heisman Trophy winner, in large part because he was left off of 154 ballots. Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford made away with the hardware, but Tebow was quick to remind anyone who would listen that they’ll soon be going head-to-head.

With a bigger prize at stake.

“You lose, you lose,” Tebow said with a shrug. “We still get to play in January and decide something a little bigger.”

I listened to the Heisman live announcement on the Radio, when Bradford's name was announced I kept hearing someone bellowing loud over and over and would not stop. I had no idea who it was but it was annoying and was distracting from the event. Also, I really could not make out what the "Yale Man" was shouting.

I wonder who paid Sims' way to New York? Switzer again? The guy is a total loser (even if he is from Hooks), but the Oklahoma people have "taken care of him" for years, which I guess is part of being a former star. Not a knock on OU, just stating the obvious. It's not surprising that he'd act a fool at something like the Heisman ceremony. Even I (an OU hater) felt embarrassed for Bradford, Owens and the other past OU winners who are linked to this guy as alumni.

I listened to the Heisman live announcement on the Radio, when Bradford's name was announced I kept hearing someone bellowing loud over and over and would not stop. I had no idea who it was but it was annoying and was distracting from the event. Also, I really could not make out what the "Yale Man" was shouting.

I didn't know what he was yelling either but he did sound like an idiot.

Yes it was loud, yes it was exessive, could it have taken away form Bradfords moment...maybe for a second. If you know anything about Simms then it should have been expected. After all he was yelling "Boomer" when Jason White won it. What did White do...yelled "Sooner" right back at him. Simms is a nut but means well. He has done much for the University of Oklahoma and continues to be apart of the football scene. He enjoys the attention and people like listening to him and getting autographs. I think he is deserving of that even if he can be loud and annoying at time...its his nature.

Yes it was loud, yes it was exessive, could it have taken away form Bradfords moment...maybe for a second. If you know anything about Simms then it should have been expected. After all he was yelling "Boomer" when Jason White won it. What did White do...yelled "Sooner" right back at him. Simms is a nut but means well. He has done much for the University of Oklahoma and continues to be apart of the football scene. He enjoys the attention and people like listening to him and getting autographs. I think he is deserving of that even if he can be loud and annoying at time...its his nature.

what has he done for the university???

Anyone with eyes and ears could see that it detracted from Bradford's moment. I wanted McCoy to win of course, but I truly felt bad for Bradford when Sims was acting like a drunken fool. Even after Bradford meekly replied "boomer", Sims kept on shouting. Even after Bradford took the podium, Sims made some retarded remard about "Booma Soona gonna getcha". And even while Bradford was giving his speach, Billy leans across a guy to talk to someone two or three persons down from him. Unbelievable classlessness.

what has he done for the university???

1978 HEISMAN

2-time ALL-AMERICAN

Walter Camp Trophy

Helms & Citizens Savings Athletics Foundation Poy

National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame

2-time ALL CONFERENCE

2nd Most Rushing Yards in a Season-1,896 (Behind Adrian Peterson)

Most Career Rushing Yards-4,118

Most Rushing TD's in a Season-23

2nd Most Career Rushing TD's-53 (Behind Steve Owens)

Most 200 Yard games in a Season and Career

1st pick of the 1st round in the NFL DRAFT to the Detroit Lions

ok...I'm tired

1978 HEISMAN

2-time ALL-AMERICAN

Walter Camp Trophy

2-time ALL CONFERENCE

ok...I'm tired

Does he have a degree from OU - he did get a free education from there right?

1978 HEISMAN

2-time ALL-AMERICAN

Walter Camp Trophy

2-time ALL CONFERENCE

ok...I'm tired

Okay. Impressive. So, what has he done for the university?

1978 HEISMAN

2-time ALL-AMERICAN

Walter Camp Trophy

2-time ALL CONFERENCE

ok...I'm tired

Okay. Impressive. So, what has he done for the university?

dang bleeds you beat me to it!

Those are definitely personal achievements.

Another great football player with no class on a national stage....While watching the anouncement, I was wondering who the intoxicated dude was at the ceremony until I noticed that it was good ole Billy on stage. He just did not stop!

Can't wait until Ricky Williams shows up to a ceremony high! :sorcerer:

dang bleeds you beat me to it!

Those are definitely personal achievements.

I don't think he had simms on the side of his helmet or on the front of his jersey. That is such a stupid statement...implying that every college athlete does everything for them selves and do not represent nor bring wanted attention to their school. what tha???? oh...let me guess this applys to him only....oops forgot OJ.

If you want to mention JC Watts, or Leroy Selmon or Steve Owens or Keith Jackson as men who do a lot for OU, then I have no problem with that. Those men all are excellent ambassadors for OU. Billy Sims is not. He's about as comfortable to be around as a #### in Sunday church. In addition to being a deadbeat parent who can't/won't pay child support, the guy is just classless.

If you want to mention JC Watts, or Leroy Selmon or Steve Owens or Keith Jackson as men who do a lot for OU, then I have no problem with that. Those men all are excellent ambassadors for OU. Billy Sims is not. He's about as comfortable to be around as ripping one in Sunday church. In addition to being a deadbeat parent who can't/won't pay child support, the guy is just classless.