Private School Coaches

CT88

I heard something the other day and then i was approached about it.

My question is: Can you coach at a private school without a degree.

I talked to a coach at a local private school and he was telling me that anyone could coach at a private school. I would like to explore this option maybe in the summer but i did not want to get my hopes up about it. Can anyone share some info.

P.S. I apologize if i posted this in the wrong topic.

I talked to a coach at a local private school and he was telling me that anyone could coach at a private school. I would like to explore this option maybe in the summer but i did not want to get my hopes up about it. Can anyone share some info.

yes, you can. Coaching will most likely be the only thing you can do. You will more than likely get the stipend if they have it to give to you but the time and hours you put in will have to be because you love the sport you are coaching.

I'm not sure about the degree thing, but I know you don't have to be certified.

I'm not sure about the degree thing, but I know you don't have to be certified.

I dont have anything but my high school diploma. I went to TJC for a year and a half. That coach also said they can hire you for part-time. All you do is come in and coach during pratice and during the games and you are not there the rest of the time ------ I think that is what he said...i thought he was pulling my leg so i did not worry about all the details

Most private schools I have been around require teachers to have the certifications now. But the question was about coaching. You can coach without either.... you may just have to do it for free though. depends on how bad the school needs a coach.

Most private schools I have been around require teachers to have the certifications now. But the question was about coaching. You can coach without either.... you may just have to do it for free though. depends on how bad the school needs a coach.

Thanks for the info guys. I would love to be a coach, actually i would do it for free....My dad is a coach and so i grew up on the football field, and the basketball court. LMBO that was my baby sitter when i was young. I sure miss those days. I wish there was a way i could finish school and get my degree and coach but i dont have the time or the cash so i guess i was looking for a short-cut. Thanks again guy, i guess i need to stop day dreaming and get back to work. :censored:

You can coach in a public school without a degree. You must be a full time employee though of that school district. You could work in maintenance, be an aide, or whatever as long as you are a full time employee and then you would be able to coach. Unless something has changed that is they way it has been for a long time.

You can coach in a public school without a degree. You must be a full time employee though of that school district. You could work in maintenance, be an aide, or whatever as long as you are a full time employee and then you would be able to coach. Unless something has changed that is they way it has been for a long time.

I have never thought of that. Like i said my dad as been a coach for 24-26 years so i will run that by him and see what he says.

I actually have a friend of mine that was coaching at a local private school in tyler. He finished college but his degree had nothing to do with teaching/coaching.

that's true. in order to coach at a public school, you just need to be a full time employee.

apparently, even being a full time substitute teacher counts. UIL had to pass a rule that allowed baseball coaches who were full time substitute teachers to have the ability to continue coaching in the playoffs after the school year ended.

don't know how many days you'd have to sub a week/month in order for that to work, but its apparently possible.

that's true. in order to coach at a public school, you just need to be a full time employee.

apparently, even being a full time substitute teacher counts. UIL had to pass a rule that allowed baseball coaches who were full time substitute teachers to have the ability to continue coaching in the playoffs after the school year ended.

don't know how many days you'd have to sub a week/month in order for that to work, but its apparently possible.

Thanks. That sounds nice but i guess you would have to get a full-time job with the school and then slide into a coaching position. IMO it would look really bad saying i want to be a coach but i didnt finish college, give me a job as a sub or mowing the football field and i will coach on the side.

Thanks. That sounds nice but i guess you would have to get a full-time job with the school and then slide into a coaching position. IMO it would look really bad saying i want to be a coach but i didnt finish college, give me a job as a sub or mowing the football field and i will coach on the side.

not as much as you think in the smaller schools.

with the state going to 4x4, the smaller schools are having to load up on math/science teachers who can teach a lot of sections. these teachers may not be able to have slots in their schedules for jh and hs athletics (1a/2a level). quite a few of the smaller schools are hurting for people to fill coaching openings due to $ and position availibility. I bet that that there are opportunities out there were non-traditional teaching role coaching, depending on where you're willing to go and what you're willing to coach.

Some schools even pay your tuition towards your 4-yr degree if you are an aide in a classroom. If there is a will, there is a way. But if you work as an aide, coach, and have a family--you are going to have to want it bad to include night classes in there too! Wish ya luck CT...good seeing you the other night!

Guest OLDREDRAIDERCOACH
Some schools even pay your tuition towards your 4-yr degree if you are an aide in a classroom. If there is a will, there is a way. But if you work as an aide, coach, and have a family--you are going to have to want it bad to include night classes in there too! Wish ya luck CT...good seeing you the other night!

Or better yet....do what I did and volunteer at the college. You will gain invaluable experience, plus make a lot of great connections so when you DO get that degree, you will have no problem getting that full-time coaching job.