Bowl game gifts revealed

BluePirate

December 24, 2008

Thought counts: All bowl gifts aren't equal

David Fox

Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer

Ask any college football player about whether there are too many bowl games and you might get a puzzled look. After all, you haven't seen some of these bowl gift packs.

Go ahead and scoff at the St. Petersburg Bowl between USF and Memphis. The players just ran off with mini camcorders and noise-canceling headphones.

Bowls are permitted to give players $500 worth of bowl gifts. They range from standard-issue bowl souvenirs such as hooded sweatshirts and mini-helmets to nifty electronics such as iPods and Nintendo Wiis.

Here's a list of all the bowl goodie bags this season: http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content....&CID=893028

Let me reiterate, there has only been one team that has recieved the "death penalty". Yes, it is my favorite college team. The paying of players has been going on for a very long time. Do they deserve more than just a scholarship ? I think so. Do they deserve a few trinkets for playing in the bowl game ? Why not. Give them a tee shirt, an I-pod or what not up to $500. It's no big deal.

Crooked bunch of wackos.

You didn't know this Mantle.

I have first hand experience when I attended the Gator Bowl with the Tech team last season.

Spending the holidays in Jacksonville, Florida was a bit different :sorcerer: :thumbsup:

They all get a limit of $500, and some use it better than others.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I just see it as another form of hypocrisy by the NCAA.

We all know the NCAA makes a ton of money off of student athletes. It is also fact that the kids are willing participants who are receiving a full or partial scholarship. Many of those with pro potential are not at any university to get an education, but merely to idiot themselves for a pro career. Besides, anyone with a brain can understand the many reasons why college athletes couldn't and shouldn't be paid for their services.

We all know the NCAA makes a ton of money off of student athletes. It is also fact that the kids are willing participants who are receiving a full or partial scholarship. Many of those with pro potential are not at any university to get an education, but merely to idiot themselves for a pro career. Besides, anyone with a brain can understand the many reasons why college athletes couldn't and shouldn't be paid for their services.

I agree with you there, but the NCAA is still inconsistent and hypocritical about how college players can get gifts, money, etc. It's "not at all" until bowl season.

There's 1 thing that this topic isn't covering...

Mantle have you heard of per diem money, the expenses covered for staying at your school while over a holiday like training camp, bowl season etc....

I managed to get nearly $800 dollars for helping out the football team last year (half was in Lubbock the other half when we arrived in Jacksonville, Florida).

Here's the real kicker everyone should pay attention to: If your bowl game is in state, 9 times out of 10, your per diem check is going to be bigger because they factor in that the players will simply drive down to the bowl site ie factor in gas. LSU I heard prolly had a near $1000 per diemcheck because the title game was in the same state.

I agree with you there, but the NCAA is still inconsistent and hypocritical about how college players can get gifts, money, etc. It's "not at all" until bowl season.

Very hypocritical. It's the flawed reasoning along with the big corporate sponsors as to why we will not see a college playoff anytime soon. The bowl sponsors last year brought in over a billion.