No Refusal DWI Laws

Fivehead

Breathe in. Exhale. Breathe in. Exhale. Repeat as needed.

Okay Pepper Anderson, try to keep up. You took it upon yourself to answer for Five0, thus the comment.

BTW, I'm impressed. Not only are you a rough-tough, get it done when the lead starts flyin' (I laugh every time I read that), stern-faced cop, but now, you are a mind reader. How else could you have known what I was thinking when I posted my comment to Five0.

As far as being civil, I honestly can't recall the last post in which you were.

There you go boy. Fetch. Go get the stick. Fetch boy!

Good boy, and you brought it back too. Now can you roll over as well?

Ahh, but I was right...

Wasn't I?

Nice back track there bleeds. Again, trying to make everyone think that you can do no wrong. LOL.

Oh wait, I know what it is now. You're the type that has to have the last word, just like the little kid who whines when he doesn't get his way. I'm sorry, I didn't get it until now.

I tell you what, you go ahead and throw in that last little insult and I'll "let" you have the last word. That way we can finally get back on topic. So go ahead and be little child and throw in that final word that you're so desperately trying to get. Then we'll get back on topic...

Okay?

okay.

Come on now bleeds, think long and hard. Get that last word in like the good little boy that you are.

Come on

come on

you know you "HAVE" to do it. :thumbsup:

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good boy, and you brought it back too. Now can you roll over as well?

Ahh, but I was right...

Wasn't I?

Nice back track there bleeds. Again, trying to make everyone think that you can do no wrong. LOL.

Oh wait, I know what it is now. You're the type that has to have the last word, just like the little kid who whines when he doesn't get his way. I'm sorry, I didn't get it until now.

I tell you what, you go ahead and throw in that last little insult and I'll "let" you have the last word. That way we can finally get back on topic. So go ahead and be little child and throw in that final word that you're so desperately trying to get. Then we'll get back on topic...

Okay?

okay.

Come on now bleeds, think long and hard. Get that last word in like the good little boy that you are.

Come on

come on

you know you "HAVE" to do it. :thumbsup:

Bart, convinced eagerness translated into high levels of customer service, waited daily by the mailbox.

Exactly. That's why I don't play the "I'm better tahn a fire fighter" game. I have some basic knowledge of their trucks and can help them retrieve things and I will lay ;ines when requested, but I leave the heavy duty stuff up to the professionals.

As far as the accident scene fires, it was some fluids under the hood that lit up. Both times I happened to be standing there when the flames showed themselves and I was able to knock them out without any problems. I put out a porch fire once with the same equipment (I guess 2.5 lb, you'd know better than I). It took 2 of them though. Mine and another officer's. That one got a little dicey. Thankfully the FD was there in short order.

Be careful with those 2.5 lb extinguishers. They'll discharge/empty in 10 seconds, which could leave you in a dangerous position. A few things to remember when using portable fire extinguishers... If you have the slightest doubt about whether you can contain the fire, don't even try. Fire will double in size every 30 seconds. Therefore, if you don't get to it within two minutes, it's generally too late for using a portable extinguisher. If you chose to fight the fire and you have the proper type and size extinguisher, ensure you have a way out and can fight with your back to the exit. Obviously, the best thing to do is allow the fire department to arrive and do their job.

Stay safe out there. :thumbsup:

I've never been in a building fighting a fire. I've been in a house fire trying to rescue a girl, but I had no fire fighting equipment with me. That would be the only reason I would enter a structure fire, though.

PS - Girl didn't make it. We were able to get her out before the flames got to her, but the smoke had already taken its toll.

Autopsies indicate that in the case in many "fire deaths", which, if there is a silver lining in the death, that is it. Being overcome by smoke is obviously a more merciful way to die than by burning.

That's why smoke alarms are so important, and while they don't prevent all loss of lives due to fires, statistically, they do assist in the saving of lives.

Although nearly 96 percent of U.S. households have smoke alarms, fatalities can (and do) occur when a smoke alarm operates. Operable smoke alarms have been credited with saving many, many lives.As in any emergency situation, it is critical to have a well-rehearsed escape plan and know more than one way out of any room or building. Knowing these options may save a life. Limiting risky behaviors (e.g.,smoking, drinking) are well-documented components that reduce the risk of fatality.

Current building codes in many cities require wired-in detectors with battery backup in new construction. In rental properties, the owner must provide a detector. It is up to the occupant to make sure the batteries are kept up to date.

For battery operated detectors (or even wired in detectors with battery back up), a useful rule of thumb is to change the batteries when you change your clocks to and from daylight savings time.

I've never been in a building fighting a fire. I've been in a house fire trying to rescue a girl, but I had no fire fighting equipment with me. That would be the only reason I would enter a structure fire, though.

PS - Girl didn't make it. We were able to get her out before the flames got to her, but the smoke had already taken its toll.

You drastically increase the probability of complicating firefighters' work when entering a structure fire. You have neither the equipment nor the training to do so. I liken it to a firefighter entering a house and subduing someone 2 minutes before police execute a raid at the house. The last thing we need is for a structure fire with one trapped inside to turn into a structure fire with one trapped inside and cop missing inside with his polyester uniform melted to his skin. If you want to help and FD hasn't arrived, while keeping family and/or neighbors a safe distance from the fire, interview them to get an exact count of the missing and last place they were seen in the structure. Report everything you can to the first arriving FD unit.

You drastically increase the probability of complicating firefighters' work when entering a structure fire. You have neither the equipment nor the training to do so. I liken it to a firefighter entering a house and subduing someone 2 minutes before police execute a raid at the house. The last thing we need is for a structure fire with one trapped inside to turn into a structure fire with one trapped inside and cop missing inside with his polyester uniform melted to his skin. If you want to help and FD hasn't arrived, while keeping family and/or neighbors a safe distance from the fire, interview them to get an exact count of the missing and last place they were seen in the structure. Report everything you can to the first arriving FD unit.

But what if it was a loved one? -jk

Easy to say, hard....no, impossible....to do when the girl is your friend's granddaughter and you can look through her bedroom window and see her lying there. She wasn't missing somewhere inside. She was right there in front of me. The other two residents of the house were already accounted for. I wasn't going to wait for the FD to roll out of bed. I understand what you're saying, and in most instances I would agree with you, but I would do the same thing if it happened again tonight. If I lose out next time, so be it. Can't live forever.

One more thing, I don't think your analogy compares. A more comparable one would be if you saw a strange man plunge a knife into the chest of your friend's 12 year old son. I'm willing to bet that you would step in and act even though it was a police matter and no one was on fire.

I think the analogy is dead on. In both instances, you have nontrained, nonequipped personnel entering a house to do a job that is not their own.

Your desire to help is admirable. But if you roll the dice and lose, you have now become a part of the problem, instead of allowing those trained and equipped to carry out that job do so.

If I go into that house with no vest, gun, or training, I will probably either be shot, or taken hostage. Now, instead of a no-knock warrant being served, you have a hostage situation.

Dead on Blue.

Easy to say, hard....no, impossible....to do when the girl is your friend's granddaughter and you can look through her bedroom window and see her lying there. She wasn't missing somewhere inside. She was right there in front of me. The other two residents of the house were already accounted for. I wasn't going to wait for the FD to roll out of bed. I understand what you're saying, and in most instances I would agree with you, but I would do the same thing if it happened again tonight. If I lose out next time, so be it. Can't live forever.

One more thing, I don't think your analogy compares. A more comparable one would be if you saw a strange man plunge a knife into the chest of your friend's 12 year old son. I'm willing to bet that you would step in and act even though it was a police matter and no one was on fire.

My analogy is right on the money. Add all the emotion to it you want, 50, but it doesn't change the fact that you put yourself in a situation where you had no business which could have led to firefighters being injured or killed trying to help you. You said you don't play the "I'm better than a firefighter" game. If you were being genuine, do as I asked and keep yourself where all unequipped and untrained people belong... a safe distance from the fire.

BTW, you're right. I would enter the burning house and find the girl, that's what I'm trained and equipped to do.

The difference is, you run into a house because a search warrant was about to be executed. There's no emergency or life threatening situation. You're just trying to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. I ran into the house (climbed through a window more accuately) because a little girl was unconcious in a room full of smoke and the fire department was at least 10 minutes away.

If you say that's an equal and accurate comparison, then you're a liar, because I KNOW you don't think that way.

Answer my scenario above.

A man stabs your friend's 12 year old child in the chest and continues to stand over him stabbing him as you watch. You know for a fact that the nearest police officer is in bed asleep 5 miles away. What do you do?

Just wondering, how did you know the FD is five miles away still in bed? How do did you know they had not already been called? What FD will tolerate 10 minute response times (unless it's a volunteer department of course)?

Five0, there is a reason we wear the gear we wear. It's because if we don't, we could, and in most cases will, die.

I'm interested to know if you saw the girl, why you didn't come out with her?

BTW, you know diddly about what I think.

The difference is, you run into a house because a search warrant was about to be executed. There's no emergency or life threatening situation. You're just trying to stick your nose where it doesn't belong. I ran into the house (climbed through a window more accuately) because a little girl was unconcious in a room full of smoke and the fire department was at least 10 minutes away.

If you say that's an equal and accurate comparison, then you're a liar, because I KNOW you don't think that way.

Answer my scenario above.

A man stabs your friend's 12 year old child in the chest and continues to stand over him stabbing him as you watch. You know for a fact that the nearest police officer is in bed asleep 5 miles away. What do you do?

Lose the attitude, Cagney. You placed yourself in extreme danger for a body recovery. Are you playing "I'm better than a firefighter" or not? Sure looks like you are...

Again, you're neither equipped nor trained to enter a structure fire.

Just wondering, how did you know the FD is five miles away still in bed? How do did you know they had not already been called? What FD will tolerate 10 minute response times (unless it's a volunteer department of course)?

Five0, there is a reason we wear the gear we wear. It's because if we don't, we could, and in most cases will, die.

I'm interested to know if you saw the girl, why you didn't come out with her?

BTW, you know diddly about what I think.

I think he said they did come out with her, but she had already died of smoke inhalation.

I think he said they did come out with her, but she had already died of smoke inhalation.

That's right. Disregard my question about coming out with her.

But that does help to reinforce the point he shouldn't have been inside. If smoke could overcome and kill her, it most assuredly could do the same to him.

People watch too much tv and think they can last longer than they actually can in a smokey environment. In many cases, all it takes is one breath of smoke laden air to cause you to pass out. After that, you die.

FWIW, if I were a cop, and I'm not, and I was in the same situation fiveO described, I would have done the same thing. Nothing to do with thinking I am better than the FD.

That's cool... neighbors sometimes do things we don't want them doing. Cops, on the other hand, should know better and do their job (crowd control) when they arrive onscene rather than freelance as 50 did.

I just googled "re-entering a burning house". I got story after story of people who had died going into a burning house to save a dog/loved-one/friend.

Statistically, those who re-enter a burning house, or enter to try and save someone/something without the proper gear and training tend to not survive.