Police

OBTS

I was with my daughter last night (age 16) and she was pulled over by a city cop for no tag light.

I understand that it's the law and all, and I understand that a simple violation like this can give the police a reason to check for other things such as warrants, DUI, etc.

As a taxpaying citizen, I couldn't help but wonder if this officer couldn't have been doing something more productive and more "Dick Tracy-ish" with his time than sitting on the side of the road and checking for tag lights.

Should this be a reason for a primary stop? It's a serious stretch to claim it's a safety issue--tags are very reflective in TX.

This officer was very professional but did take time to write out a warning for the offense. But I think it's an abuse of power, it's taking the officer's time away from "real" crime, and it instills fear in the citizens of this small town. It just seems like he was out to produce revenue instead of stop crime...am I wrong here?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was with my daughter last night (age 16) and she was pulled over by a city cop for no tag light.

I understand that it's the law and all, and I understand that a simple violation like this can give the police a reason to check for other things such as warrants, DUI, etc.

As a taxpaying citizen, I couldn't help but wonder if this officer couldn't have been doing something more productive and more "Dick Tracy-ish" with his time than sitting on the side of the road and checking for tag lights.

Should this be a reason for a primary stop? It's a serious stretch to claim it's a safety issue--tags are very reflective in TX.

This officer was very professional but did take time to write out a warning for the offense. But I think it's an abuse of power, it's taking the officer's time away from "real" crime, and it instills fear in the citizens of this small town. It just seems like he was out to produce revenue instead of stop crime...am I wrong here?

It takes 5 seconds to check and make sure your tag light works!

If that officer had other more important things to do at that particular moment, he probably would have been doing it. At least I would hope so. The fact that he was making that sort of stop shows that he is probably not lazy. He was out looking for something to get into.

PS - Tag lights are intentionally removed by car thieves. Just something to think about.

Guest bleeds

Interesting Five0. A sworn officer of the law telling us another officer shouldn't be enforcing the traffic code.

Is a tag light not important in terms of seeing the tag at night? Don't officers use stops such as this in order to see if there is anything more sinister going on in/with the vehicle?

Timothy McVeigh was stopped for a similar violation.

Just something to think about.

Interesting Five0. A sworn officer of the law telling us another officer shouldn't be enforcing the traffic code.

Is a tag light not important in terms of seeing the tag at night? Don't officers use stops such as this in order to see if there is anything more sinister going on in/with the vehicle?

Timothy McVeigh was stopped for a similar violation.

Just something to think about.

What in the world are you talking about? I was defending the officer for stopping for the violation. Are you that eager to argue today that you'll just make something up?

If that officer had other more important things to do at that particular moment, he probably would have been doing it. At least I would hope so. The fact that he was making that sort of stop shows that he is probably not lazy. He was out looking for something to get into.

PS - Tag lights are intentionally removed by car thieves. Just something to think about.

Wouldn't it be better to be seen driving through alleys looking for burglars, running radar looking for speeders, watching a light for red light runners, cruising through residential neighborhoods just to be visible?

I'd even be OK if he followed us a little ways and ran the plate without a stop--we were in a subdivision--not headed for the highlands.

Even after running the plate on our highly suspicious "99" Camry with the stop--why the written warning--we were one block from the house? Why not a verbal warning?

Like I said earlier--if our PD is stopping people at 6:30 pm for this type of stuff, it doesn't give the citizens a feeling of being protected and served--it gave us a feeling of the fear for lack of complete perfection and being harassed. The tag light has been fixed--but I'd have done that with a verbal warning anyway.

If I'm not mistaken, a written warning is known as a "contact." When the oficer turns in his daily reports, it just shows that he in fact was out working and not napping somewhere. Even a stop at a convience store for a cup of coffee or coke is written up as a contact. It shows he was out in the neighborhood visiting local stores etc. I have several troopers, deputies and city police come by my office to visit. This is encouraged by the various departments. It doesn't sound like any ill will was intended by the officer. He was just making a contact.

1) Wouldn't it be better to be seen driving through alleys looking for burglars, running radar looking for speeders, watching a light for red light runners, cruising through residential neighborhoods just to be visible?

2) I'd even be OK if he followed us a little ways and ran the plate without a stop--we were in a subdivision--not headed for the highlands.

3) Even after running the plate on our highly suspicious "99" Camry with the stop--why the written warning--we were one block from the house? Why not a verbal warning?

4) Like I said earlier--if our PD is stopping people at 6:30 pm for this type of stuff, it doesn't give the citizens a feeling of being protected and served--it gave us a feeling of the fear for lack of complete perfection and being harassed. The tag light has been fixed--but I'd have done that with a verbal warning anyway.

1) Are you more worried about what it looks like, or what is more effective? I've found tons more stolen property and arrested far more burglars during traffic stops than while spotlighting alleys.

2) You were in a subdivision. Meaning you were almost home more than likely. If he runs your plates, you pull into a drive and go inside, and olny then he finds out that your car is stolen, he has just allowed you to escape. Registration returns are quick, but not immediate.

3) I don't know about the agency that your talking about, but at the one I work at we are required to either give written citations or written warnings. Because of racial profiling laws, verbal warnings are pretty much a thing of the past where ever you go.

4) I'm sure you would have fixed the tag light regardless. Many people would not have though. We have take into account that not everyone is as law-abiding as you and your family. When we stop a random person we can't assume they aren't serial killers stalking their next victim. If we could do that, guns and bullet proof vests would not be needed. You have to understand that he is just trying to do his job. He was professional about it, in your own words, and he was obviously not harrassing you because that would require a string of events of him continuously stalking you. Since you didn't say anything about that, I assume that is not the case. It sounds to me like a fine officer doing a fine job. Sometimes feelings will get hurt but we know that already and just have to deal with it. That is why it is difficult for officers to have friends outside of law enforcement because people always take it personally when we do our job.

A person does his/her job and we complain about it? Shame on you!

It's not like that. I'm not trying to hack on OBTS. I really can understand why he feels the way he does. I'm just trying to show him that there are reasons we do what we do and that it doesn't have anything to do with us thinking he is a criminal. But the only way to find criminals is to get out and work. That's what this officer was probably doing.

Even after running the plate on our highly suspicious "99" Camry with the stop--why the written warning--we were one block from the house? Why not a verbal warning?

I think if a police officer pulls you over they are required to give you a written warning if they don't give a ticket.

Wouldn't it be better to be seen driving through alleys looking for burglars, running radar looking for speeders, watching a light for red light runners, cruising through residential neighborhoods just to be visible?

I'd even be OK if he followed us a little ways and ran the plate without a stop--we were in a subdivision--not headed for the highlands.

Looks like he was "cruising through residential neighborhoods" being seen. :thumbsup:

Looks like he was "cruising through residential neighborhoods" being seen. :thumbsup:

He was sitting off to the side of a main road--he followed us for one block at 25 mph and when we signaled, he initiated the stop.

I'm not upset. I was laughing the whole time because it was my daughter's first contact with a police officer and I knew she was innocent--but she was nervous.

I asked for five-o or DHCF to explain to me how this stop was a crime busting activity. It was pesky--and it still seems like a cheezy stop to me. As a taxpayer, I want my cops taking care of the big stuff--not looking for tag lights. But I might be in the minority.

He was sitting off to the side of a main road--he followed us for one block at 25 mph and when we signaled, he initiated the stop.

I'm not upset. I was laughing the whole time because it was my daughter's first contact with a police officer and I knew she was innocent--but she was nervous.

I asked for five-o or DHCF to explain to me how this stop was a crime busting activity. It was pesky--and it still seems like a cheezy stop to me. As a taxpayer, I want my cops taking care of the big stuff--not looking for tag lights. But I might be in the minority.

Did you read my reply in post #13? You can't find the big stuff without looking for the small stuff. Believe it or not, criminals have a tendency to hide big crimes from the sight of police officers. We have to be sneaky sometimes.

You are not in the minority of wanting police to find big criminals, but I believe you may be in the minority in that you don't want them pulling people over and searching for criminals. You want them to just magically spot them out as they hide behind closed doors. Sorry. It doesn't work that way.