Police

OBTS

Guest bleeds
What in the world are you talking about? I was defending the officer for stopping for the violation. Are you that eager to argue today that you'll just make something up?

I may have misread. Wouldn't be the first time for sure. But, didn't you say he was out looking for something to get into?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleeds
Wouldn't it be better to be seen driving through alleys looking for burglars, running radar looking for speeders, watching a light for red light runners, cruising through residential neighborhoods just to be visible?

I'd even be OK if he followed us a little ways and ran the plate without a stop--we were in a subdivision--not headed for the highlands.

Even after running the plate on our highly suspicious "99" Camry with the stop--why the written warning--we were one block from the house? Why not a verbal warning?

Like I said earlier--if our PD is stopping people at 6:30 pm for this type of stuff, it doesn't give the citizens a feeling of being protected and served--it gave us a feeling of the fear for lack of complete perfection and being harassed. The tag light has been fixed--but I'd have done that with a verbal warning anyway.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but I disagree. Did you miss the part where I said stops like this sometimes result in other violations being revealed? In some cases, these stops result in dangerous criminals being arrested. See, for the most part, and I would bet Five0 would back me on this, criminals are stupid and lazy. They are too stupid/lazy to make sure mundane details don't cause them to be stopped and subsequently arrested.

Simple maintenance will keep stops like this from happening.

A violation is a violation. Sounds like the officer was doing his job. As a tax payer you can't be upset when you pay someone to do a job and then they go out and do it. That is like some of the idiots in my neighborhood......"patrol, write tickets, make arrests.....just not around here because we don't really hurt or bother anyone."

If I'm stopped by a police officer, I expect my drivers license to be checked for warrants. If warrants are found, I expect them to be served. I expect that any obvious violations the officer can see in the course of his inspection to be noted and possibly fined. Especially if he suspects that I'm intoxicated. In that case, I would expect to be arrested. I won't go into what I don't expect.

If a police officer does anything less, and he's not earning his pay. We all have a job to do, and that job should be done with all due diligence. Particularly when that job is the general safety of the public.

I have to side with 5-0 and the officer. No ticket, no harm no foul. I've been pulled over for a tail light being out. I don't check my blinkers or lights everyday. If they don't give you a ticket, and they let you repair the problem before issuing a ticket. I have to say :thumbsup: .

I may have misread. Wouldn't be the first time for sure. But, didn't you say he was out looking for something to get into?

I apologize for snapping with my reply. And yes, I said he was out looking for something to get into. In cop language that means he's out looking for bad guys. I didn't intend for it to be thought of in a negative way.

Guest bleeds

OBTS, are you suggesting the officer don't do the job you pay him to do?

What if he lets the next "no tag light" go, and it turns out to be someone who has just murdered someone? What if that someone happens to be a loved one of yours? Would you be so quick to say he needs to lighten up a little?

OBTS, are you suggesting the officer don't do the job you pay him to do?

What if he lets the next "no tag light" go, and it turns out to be someone who has just murdered someone? What if that someone happens to be a loved one of yours? Would you be so quick to say he needs to lighten up a little?

I've held off on replying to this post for a variety of reasons...trying to come up with an answer/explanation/justification for the officer stopping a driver who is violating a Texas criminal statute...and one that would satisfy anyone who thinks the officer was not, in fact, doing his job...

I thought I might reply with a football officiating analogy or something similar to that...however, I simply thought I would ask...."what laws would you as a Tax Payer want police officers to enforce?"

Guest bleeds

Okay, since we're asking cop questions, here's one for OBTS.

How much force is enough/too much to subdue?

BTW, yes, I know OBTS is not a cop, but he's the one who seems to want cops to not do the job he pays them to do.

.....I thought I might reply with a football officiating analogy or something similar to that...

You know, false start is such a ticky tack penalty, and so trivial anyway. It's not going to hurt anyone. I mean why wasn't the ref somewhere else looking for a horse collar or a facemask?

You mean something like that, DieHard?

They just crossed the corner.

they were not straight down the middle.

That's right. Refs only calls the "big strikes." The little ones won't amount to much anyway. The batter might complain about him if the ref did what he was paid to do.

I've held off on replying to this post for a variety of reasons...trying to come up with an answer/explanation/justification for the officer stopping a driver who is violating a Texas criminal statute...and one that would satisfy anyone who thinks the officer was not, in fact, doing his job...

I thought I might reply with a football officiating analogy or something similar to that...however, I simply thought I would ask...."what laws would you as a Tax Payer want police officers to enforce?"

Why not a basketball one ?

CharlesBarkley.jpg

I swear...a person can't hardly have a civil conversation in here anymore without people just losing it. Are we all that angry?

The law is the law and I do have a better understanding of it. But my opinion that a tag light should not be a primary reason for a contact remains in tact. I hate getting that "oh ####" feeling everytime a cop is behind me at a red light in my community. I don't hate cops! But initiating a stop for the "criminal act" of a non-luminating tag light on a 10 yr old family sedan is a bit much in my opinion. It's not exactly a highly coveted vehicle like a 63 Vette that a thief might actually make some $ on!

I don't know anyone who inspects their tail and tag lights before they get in their car. If you say you do, you are a liar. I get an inspection once per year and I expect that to be suffice. The inspection sticker on this car goes out next month. I replaced TWO tag lights in less than 10 minutes for the grand sum of $2.50.

And yes DHCF, I have passed on a holding call on the back side of a play before because it didn't make any difference in the ultimate result. I've also driven 57mph in a 55mph zone and met an officer that didn't initiate a stop on me. Why is 2mph not a good reason to initiate a stop but a tag light is? It can't be justified--admit it was a ticky-tack stop and move on.

I'm done here...so pile on if you must!

Whoa friend. I'm not mad at you. I was having fun with you.

About your holding call, the holding had no affect. That's fine, but that scenario does not compare to this. For it to be an accurate comparison it would need to be like this:

"I saw a lineman holding in the middle of the line. It may or may not have affected the play, but the player looks like such a good kid and he does not deserve to be penalized."

So you don't throw the flag. However, after a few plays you notice that this fine young kid that you saw holding is actually a habitual holder but he is just very good at hiding it.

Wouldn't it have been worth letting him know the first time, even if it was just a warning, so that he would correct his actions and continue through thte game in a rule following manner?

I swear...a person can't hardly have a civil conversation in here anymore without people just losing it. Are we all that angry?

The law is the law and I do have a better understanding of it. But my opinion that a tag light should not be a primary reason for a contact remains in tact. I hate getting that "oh ####" feeling everytime a cop is behind me at a red light in my community. I don't hate cops! But initiating a stop for the "criminal act" of a non-luminating tag light on a 10 yr old family sedan is a bit much in my opinion. It's not exactly a highly coveted vehicle like a 63 Vette that a thief might actually make some $ on!

I don't know anyone who inspects their tail and tag lights before they get in their car. If you say you do, you are a liar. I get an inspection once per year and I expect that to be suffice. The inspection sticker on this car goes out next month. I replaced TWO tag lights in less than 10 minutes for the grand sum of $2.50.

And yes DHCF, I have passed on a holding call on the back side of a play before because it didn't make any difference in the ultimate result. I've also driven 57mph in a 55mph zone and met an officer that didn't initiate a stop on me. Why is 2mph not a good reason to initiate a stop but a tag light is? It can't be justified--admit it was a ticky-tack stop and move on.

We don't stop people for going 2 miles over the speed limit because that would be considered a tacky citation. However, I do tend to give 12 miles over the limit, that way when I make a traffic stop, there can be no arguing the reason for the stop. Now then, the license plate light being out IS an appropriate reason to make a traffic stop. I don't want to have to get on a vehicles back bumper to read a plate at 55 miles per hour on the road.

Are we saying that you're guilty of something just because your tag light is out? no

But if the tag light is out, we will make a stop to make sure that your license isn't expired / suspended, or that the vehicle isn't stolen etc, etc, etc.

I hope that this clears everything up.

Okay. You win. I'm moving on. I'll just need a list of non ticky tack laws that you will allow me to enforce.

Good Lord!!

So much disdain for law enforcement lately... :rolleyes:

Spend some time overseas and deal with "LosFederales" or "a Policia Militar", then come back and tell me how you fancied their "fair" dealings.

Good Lord!!

So much disdain for law enforcement lately... :rolleyes:

Spend some time overseas and deal with "LosFederales" or "a Policia Militar", then come back and tell me how you fancied their "fair" dealings.

Weee don' neeed no steeenking warrant!

Guest bleeds

It would seem you are the only one getting mad about this. And that is not unexpected with you . Past "debates" have taught us when we don't agree with you, and give sound evidence for same, you get upset and accuse everyone else of being obstinate.

You have had a police officer and others tell you why tag light stops are important. You disagree. That's fine. That's what these boards are for, the voicing of different opinions. The reasons given you are legitimate. No one has been disrespectful to you. But since you disagree, you throw a little tantrum and blame everyone else. Nice.

As for the inspection and replacement of the two tag lights. If you'd done that before the wreck, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. But don't blame us for answering a question you posed, even if it was answered contrary to how you wanted it answered.

BTW, your attitude toward law enforcement is very immature.

It would seem you are the only one getting mad about this. And that is not unexpected with you . Past "debates" have taught us when we don't agree with you, and give sound evidence for same, you get upset and accuse everyone else of being obstinate.

You have had a police officer and others tell you why tag light stops are important. You disagree. That's fine. That's what these boards are for, the voicing of different opinions. The reasons given you are legitimate. No one has been disrespectful to you. But since you disagree, you throw a little tantrum and blame everyone else. Nice.

As for the inspection and replacement of the two tag lights. If you'd done that before the wreck, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. But don't blame us for answering a question you posed, even if it was answered contrary to how you wanted it answered.

BTW, your attitude toward law enforcement is very immature.

^

^

^

Piling on! Namecalling (immature)! Exactly what I was talking about--no civility--only trying to dominate and bully. Typical of you as well Jerk!

You know, false start is such a ticky tack penalty, and so trivial anyway. It's not going to hurt anyone. I mean why wasn't the ref somewhere else looking for a horse collar or a facemask?

You mean something like that, DieHard?

EXACTLY!! :clap:

Guest bleeds
^

^

^

Piling on! Namecalling (immature)! Exactly what I was talking about--no civility--only trying to dominate and bully. Typical of you as well Jerk!

Nice.

First, you invited the name-calling. But I did not call you a name. I said your attidude was immature. You have reinforced that with the above, most assinine post.

OBTS, you have proven time and time again, you have little respect for the law, whether it be concealed carry laws, or traffic laws. You believe you shouldn't have to abide, or be subject to them. Guess what? That doesn't change anything. You are still under the law.

If you don't want to get stopped because your tag light is out, make sure your light is out. It has been explained to you ad nauseum that these stops serve as platforms to go after what MAY BE bad guys, something you said the cop needed to be doing instead of picking on your daughter. But don't blame the cop for doing what you pay him to do, because you're too lazy to maintain your car.

If we had all agreed with you, would you have gotten so mad? And if not, then can we assume the only reason you're mad right now is because, once again, things didn't go as you has hoped?

BTW, care to point out where I was less than civil with you? Don't get the parts where I was pointing out actual fact confused with incivility, as you have a tendancy to do.

Grow up.

Nice.

First, you invited the name-calling. But I did not call you a name. I said your attidude was immature. You have reinforced that with the above, most assinine post.

OBTS, you have proven time and time again, you have little respect for the law, whether it be concealed carry laws, or traffic laws. You believe you shouldn't have to abide, or be subject to them. Guess what? That doesn't change anything. You are still under the law.

If you don't want to get stopped because your tag light is out, make sure your light is out. It has been explained to you ad nauseum that these stops serve as platforms to go after what MAY BE bad guys, something you said the cop needed to be doing instead of picking on your daughter. But don't blame the cop for doing what you pay him to do, because you're too lazy to maintain your car.

If we had all agreed with you, would you have gotten so mad? And if not, then can we assume the only reason you're mad right now is because, once again, things didn't go as you has hoped?

BTW, care to point out where I was less than civil with you? Don't get the parts where I was pointing out actual fact confused with incivility, as you have a tendancy to do.

Grow up.

More of the same! Little man syndrome--gotta have the last and final word on everything!

Guest bleeds
More of the same! Little man syndrome--gotta have the last and final word on everything!

Actually, I'm pretty big guy. 6'5", about 285.

And it is you who seems to need to have the last word, if only to taunt.

When you decide to resume this discussion in a mature manner, please rejoin the fray and make your point. If you continue with these childish retorts, you will only confirm what we all have already assumed.

BTW, it struck me as interesting that you would find such humor in the fact you refused to properly maintain your daughter's car. And since you didn't, it could be assumed you in fact caused your daughter to be ticketed.

Have you apologized to her for that?