SHOTS FIRED!

Guest bleeds

Guest bleeds
Your opinion and my opinion of "adamantly" is far afield, apparently. Personally, I like the word "explanation", rather than "instructed" or "corrected." Wouldn't you agree?

No harm, no foul... :thumbsup:

Whatever you choose.

BTW, it is important you understand, lest I be accused of being close-minded, I have no problem with your opinion on the scenario, although I disagree with it. My issue was with your description of "CHL" holders, knowing nothing about them.

By the way, the correct license abbreviation is CHL (concealed handgun license), not CCL.

And parent, I agree with Bleeds. You're starting to sound like Lhorn.

Sorry Morty. I got into the habit abbreviating Concealed Carry License a long time ago. Old habits are hard to break.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you choose.

BTW, it is important you understand, lest I be accused of being close-minded, I have no problem with your opinion on the scenario, although I disagree with it. My issue was with your description of "CHL" holders, knowing nothing about them.

Now, why would I ever accuse you of that.... :thumbsup:

To my knowledge, there have not been any CHL holders who have "nutted" out at a school or mall and gone Rambo on everybody.

The best example of why CHL's are good is the downtown square shooting in Tyler. Mark Wilson, CHL holder, though unsuccessful at stopping the gunman was very likely the reason for him fleeing the scene. He also averted the gunman's attention so that more innocent people were able to escape. Without his act of heroism, the tragedy most certainly would have been worse.

Shots fired at a local mall where you happen to be shopping.

The gunman is literally merely feet away.

As you watch, he begins to shoot everyone close to you, working his aim toward you until finally, you are in his sights.

As you attempt to gather your loved ones, you reach for your completely legal and licensed weapon.

You raise your weapon in a defensive posture that shelters your kids or wife. You draw down on the gunman and stare him down. You warn him that you will shoot. He does not drop his weapon and in an instant you make your decision and fire.

At the same time, another licensed citizen responding to the shots arrives on the scene and instinctively shoots at the only person that they have seen discharge a weapon. Both gunmen are down. The mall crowd is in a frenzy, as other people realize what is happening. Other licensed citizens arrive on the scene, and are literally unable to decide who is the bad guy. Two people down and another holding a gun. How much time is required to make a good decision here?

Is it possible to make a decision in an instant that reflects what you were taught during your CC training? Should you really have tried to use your weapon to defend the mall or just your family? Was there a chance at all that you could have injured another innocent person?

See, I carry too. If my family or friends are with me in the situation described, I will be a coward and only attempt to protect them without further endangering them. I will only choose to show my weapon under extreme duress. The classical logic says that once two people start shooting, the good guys do not have time to decide who is on their side. At this point you shoot at the one who does not look like you.

Nothing to do with Eastwood, but by shooting you make the ones with you a target. I won't even go along with "Shoot his gun hand". Now a baseball bat or umbrella in close quarters can be effective and less confusing.

Oh and I seldom go to the mall! When I go to a zoo, I want to see furry animals and birds.

As you watch, he begins to shoot everyone close to you, working his aim toward you until finally, you are in his sights.

As you attempt to gather your loved ones, you reach for your completely legal and licensed weapon.

You raise your weapon in a defensive posture that shelters your kids or wife. You draw down on the gunman and stare him down. You warn him that you will shoot. He does not drop his weapon and in an instant you make your decision and fire.

At the same time, another licensed citizen responding to the shots arrives on the scene and instinctively shoots at the only person that they have seen discharge a weapon. Both gunmen are down. The mall crowd is in a frenzy, as other people realize what is happening. Other licensed citizens arrive on the scene, and are literally unable to decide who is the bad guy. Two people down and another holding a gun. How much time is required to make a good decision here?

Is it possible to make a decision in an instant that reflects what you were taught during your CC training? Should you really have tried to use your weapon to defend the mall or just your family? Was there a chance at all that you could have injured another innocent person?

See, I carry too. If my family or friends are with me in the situation described, I will be a coward and only attempt to protect them without further endangering them. I will only choose to show my weapon under extreme duress. The classical logic says that once two people start shooting, the good guys do not have time to decide who is on their side. At this point you shoot at the one who does not look like you.

Nothing to do with Eastwood, but by shooting you make the ones with you a target. I won't even go along with "Shoot his gun hand". Now a baseball bat or umbrella in close quarters can be effective and less confusing.

Oh and I seldom go to the mall! When I go to a zoo, I want to see furry animals and birds.

While Steve stacked pallets he mused, "Why has the cost of living still not affected its popularity?"

The way I see it, they should get rid of the concealed portion. I think if any shooter saw someone with a side arm, they'd think twice before pulling their weapon in the first place. I don't have a problem with going back to the days of the Old West. Even in bars, I wouldn't have a problem. Check your guns at the door, and make sure the bouncer and bartender are armed. If more people carried with an open weapon, less people would be afraid of guns. Guns and bullets don't kill people.

I think 90% of people that do have their CHL's have level heads, and wouldn't pull their gun over stupidity.

Well I am in the process of trying to get everyone that I know to go and get their CCL license. The guy that taught my class is certified to do the fingerprints himself and he also takes you picture for the license also. He even keeps plentt of packet from the state so that he can be a one stop shop to get everything done in one day! he is is Lufkin and teaches a great class. The range is right there at this house so like I said it is truely a one stop shop to get your CCL training and packet taken care of. The link below is for their phone number and locations. It is located in Lufkin for those who are interested.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=...257712699372604

I have made the decision not to get a permit. Do ya'll think I'm crazy?

Guest bleeds
I have made the decision not to get a permit. Do ya'll think I'm crazy?

Personal decision I suppose. But people aren't getting any nicer.

Guest bleeds

Milton, convinced he could in fact brick his house though having never picked up a trowel, realized he'd have to wait until his hands healed to finish.

Guest bleeds
The way I see it, they should get rid of the concealed portion. I think if any shooter saw someone with a side arm, they'd think twice before pulling their weapon in the first place. I don't have a problem with going back to the days of the Old West. Even in bars, I wouldn't have a problem. Check your guns at the door, and make sure the bouncer and bartender are armed. If more people carried with an open weapon, less people would be afraid of guns. Guns and bullets don't kill people.

I think 90% of people that do have their CHL's have level heads, and wouldn't pull their gun over stupidity.

As fate would have it, there is a movement afloat to allow licensed carriers to carry in plain sight. It is already allowed in some states. I'm all for it.

As fate would have it, there is a movement afloat to allow licensed carriers to carry in plain sight. It is already allowed in some states. I'm all for it.

A number of states have both open and concealed carry laws. Kentucky is one example. I don't have a problem with passing an open carry in Texas as long as they don't get rid of the concealed law. Personally, I don't want to have to carry open, as I'd rather no one know I am armed.

No concealed carry would create a very disadvantageous situation for law abiding open carry citizens. They would be the first that a criminal would target. Likewise, they would not know the criminal had a weapon or his intent until it is too late.

No. It didn't go over my head. Just not sure what you think is so funny about carrying without a license.

110103_pick_prv.gif

Totally agree Blue. Carrying concealed without a license is one of the dumbest things you could ever do. Get busted doing that, and you will lose you right to own a firearm completely. :thumbdown:

While Steve stacked pallets he mused, "Why has the cost of living still not affected its popularity?"

As usual, you seem to be unable to accept even a scenario and offer an advised opininion unless the view is identitical to your own narrow interpretation.

I have no problem being the village idiot for you, but you could go ahead and show your friends and neighbors how you have actually thought out what the proper response would be in such a situation. In order to be secure in knowing that other citizens are legally carrying and able to assist in a crisis as described, you ought to be more concerned with making an intelligent response. The truth though, is that a bad situation can get worse when a bunch of people start shooting.

Somebody with a modest portion of intelligence tell me how you can tell who the bad guy is. In a crisis, how do you determine when to show your weapon, and then decide whether to discharge it? This ain't the drugstore checker table where everybody can be a hero. This is when the probability of loss of life and permanent mental scarring are on the table in large portions.

Laugh it off if you will, but even your buddies know that the reality is different. I think that 5-0 gave a very imaginative suggestion as well for a law officer. Even veterans do not function as well when they are faced with a muzzle blast at close range.

Guest bleeds
As usual, you seem to be unable to accept even a scenario and offer an advised opininion unless the view is identitical to your own narrow interpretation.

I have no problem being the village idiot for you, but you could go ahead and show your friends and neighbors how you have actually thought out what the proper response would be in such a situation. In order to be secure in knowing that other citizens are legally carrying and able to assist in a crisis as described, you ought to be more concerned with making an intelligent response. The truth though, is that a bad situation can get worse when a bunch of people start shooting.

Somebody with a modest portion of intelligence tell me how you can tell who the bad guy is. In a crisis, how do you determine when to show your weapon, and then decide whether to discharge it? This ain't the drugstore checker table where everybody can be a hero. This is when the probability of loss of life and permanent mental scarring are on the table in large portions.

Laugh it off if you will, but even your buddies know that the reality is different. I think that 5-0 gave a very imaginative suggestion as well for a law officer. Even veterans do not function as well when they are faced with a muzzle blast at close range.

Sonny was nobody's fool. THIS time, the saddle horn went in front.

Simple and obvious answer. You only shoot when you are certain the target is the enemy. You don't just "instinctively" shoot at anyone with a gun. Common sense......