5 Most overrated bands of all time?

Loftin74

Who do you think are the 5 most overrated bands of all time?

1.) Pink Floyd

2.) The Beatles

3.) Kiss

4.) The Rolling Stones

5.) Led Zeplin

I just don't like most of their stuff and I don't really know how anyone does

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man are you going to have a few disagreements with those choices. Everything you hear today is roughly based off the work of one of your five bands. I am not a huge Stones fan but they have had a huge influence. The KISS playlist is very limited but they did more with less than just about anybody ever.

1. The Who

2. David Bowie

3. Boston

4. Bruce Springsteen

5. Tom Petty

Setting aside for the moment all rap/hip hop & atrocious Limp Bizkit/Korn/Kid Rock hybrid bands ... AND pop bands masquerading as "metal" bands (e.g. Bon Jovi, late-1980s Def Leppard, Poison, Warrant) -- as these bands would fill up a top 50 list, I submit over-praised bands that I could like, but do not:

1. Smashing Pumpkins

2. White Stripes

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers

4. The Smiths

5. The Dave Mathews Band

Dishonorable mention to sound-alike bands Creed, Nickelback & 3 Doors Down :pinch:

The KISS playlist is very limited but they did more with less than just about anybody ever

18 studio LPs is a "limited" playlist ??? :w00t:

If you consider that they all sound alike, yes I would say it is a very limited playlist. I like KISS but for 18 studio albums their list of quality music is pretty small. They were very good at getting everyone's hands in the air and screaming anthems along with them. That is about it.

Also, it's Zeppelin.

Yeah I just realized I misspelled it. Out of all the bands I listed I'd still say that Pink Floyd is the most overrated and overpraised band of all time........I just dont think that their stuff is that good (aside from Another Brick in the Wall)

You find an entire genere overrated?

I do ...

Cartoon characters praised as serious musicians = OVERRATED :whome:

If you consider that they all sound alike

The same could be said about most bands -- do you consider AC/DC to have a "limited" playlist ???

...and I think you are selling them short by claiming they were very good at getting everyone's hands in the air and screaming anthems along with them. That is about it" ... :)

I don't care one iota about their playlist, KISS was all makeup and no talent. I agree their marketing was genius.

1 Beatles

2 Rolling Stones

3 Kiss

4 Smashing Punkins

5 Red Hot Chili Peppers

DaveTV you are out of your mind putting the Eagles on your list. :wacko:

U2

DUUUUDE!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

U2 was one of the best bands ever.

The same could be said about most bands -- do you consider AC/DC to have a "limited" playlist ???

No I do not consider AC/DC as limited but they do use the same chords repeatedly so maybe you are on to something. Actually I thought Black Ice was a decent album, I can not recall the last decent album KISS put out. Do not get me wrong, KISS served a very important purpose in the history of rock. They gave us an option when disco was everything and helped put theatrics in live shows. Gene Simmons is a marketing genius, plain and simple. My first 8 track was KISS ALIVE II and I bought it for the simple reason that it would upset my mother. I never imagined that most of their quality music was behind them at that point.

U2 was one of the best bands ever.

I would put U2 in my top five as well.

I realize that music is subjective. Rockon1885, sorry Rap should not even exist. 80% of the time, they sample my generations music. It's almost like "Weird" Al Yankovic. They're just using their own words to other peoples music. Not creative at all.

Immortal13 You've listed The Beatles (probably the greatest songwriters in history), The Rolling Stones (another very influential band), and KISS who have been very diverse, if you listen to their catalog. The Eagles make me cringe and flip the radio station everytime I hear them. About the only thing they've influenced is today's Country music. U2 was great pre-Joshua Tree, after that they went too commercial. I have not bought a single thing by them since, before I was a huge fan.

I will admit that I listen to The Beatles less and less as the years go by. It's probably because I've listened to it so much in the past. I will listen to them on certain days, but they're generally not in my playlist. Their music doesn't make my blood pump.

I agree that the newer U2 stuff stinks, but they had tons of great early stuff. Just listen to what's on Rattle n Hum. It's all good.

I don't think I can get back on the bandwagon. Perhaps U2 is somewhat of an Irish reflection of Def Leppard, because Def went commercial with "Hysteria" and "Adrenalize". However, I loved "Slang", "Euphoria", and although the CD name is on the "freak" side "Songs From The Sparkle Lounge" was a solid CD. I didn't care for "Yeah !!!" because it's a cover CD. I'm not big on covers. I do think Def Leppards cover of Sweet's "Action" was owned and demonstrated to be their best cover. Take a listen : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOeAIUEVbs , compare this to Sweet's "Action" :

. Def Leppard took it to a higher level. I love both versions, but Def Leppard nailed it. "Action" can be found on Retro Active, which was mostly composed of B-Sides by Steven M. Clark.

KISS was all makeup and no talent

You could not be farther from the truth. YES -- Gene turned the band into a corporation in the late-1970s, but their first six studio LPs are Rock & Roll classics. No band with Ace Frehley as a member can EVER be labeled "no talent".

Go listen to Love Gun and tell me I am wrong . . .

I can not recall the last decent album KISS put out.

That would Revenge from 1992 :)

Go listen to Love Gun and tell me I am wrong

Don't know Love Gun, and I'm not going to subject myself to the torture of hearing it. I've heard enough Kiss music to last me the rest of my life, and I think it stinks. My contention is that Kiss was very low on talent, and that they would never have made it big had it not been for the makeup and all the production. Paul Stanley never could sing his way out of a wet paper sack.

Oh Man. As far as music goes I like what I like and let others like what they like, but to put PINK FLOYD on this list is, is, is , just not right. If you don't LOVE FLOYD then you have not expierenced them in the right way. They are the greatest of all time. BAR NONE. No one even comes close. If there was not FLOYD then there should not be music.

In my humble opinion. HA

You could not be farther from the truth. YES -- Gene turned the band into a corporation in the late-1970s, but their first six studio LPs are Rock & Roll classics. No band with Ace Frehley as a member can EVER be labeled "no talent".

Go listen to Love Gun and tell me I am wrong . . .

That would Revenge from 1992 :)

I never said I didn’t like them. In fact, I wore out a few LP’s in the 70’s. But success does not = talent and vise versa. Kiss had GREAT concerts! However - The Rockets opened for them when I saw them once, and they were by far more talented. But not so successful commercially. A lot of people have never heard of them.

Of course Gene-[ious] Simmons is the paradigm of commercial success. After all……..that’s why……………………...It’s good to be Gene !