5 Most overrated bands of all time?

Loftin74

They are not the greatest songwriters. I'd give that title to Bob Dylan. Second place: Elvis Costello, Third place: John Prine

Lennon and McCartney were great song writers-just not the greatest.

I stand by my statement -their musicianship was suspect. Ringo was/is a joke.

Beatles are overrated. And tremendously so. They were the first big thing-rock or pop band wise. Therefore they get way too much credit. Of course they do have some great songs-melody wise. I actually like Beatles songs much better when they are played by an orchestra or on an acoustic guitar without vocals. I am not saying they are lousy or stink. They are just overrated.

I have to agree with Elvis Costello. I didn't add him, because I can't think of a single song that he's penned. Why is he considered a musical genius ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how would you like to be best friends?

I like Nirvana but they are incredibly overrated... Pearl Jam > Nirvana

Journey is terrible, does that make them overrated?

There are a few songs that I like from Toe Jam and Neverminda.

Journey, I guess you had to live in the 80's to understand. I relate Journey to girls/women, and they're never overrated. That's why I don't trash George Michael, as much as I could. It's the memories with those bands. I don't bash Firehouse and Silver Chair either, because of those reasons. I could, but then I think about something in my mind that reminds me, of good times.

All right, let's get back on topic. The Band is overrated. I don't care what Martin Scoresese attempted to portray. The Band was horrible.

How exactly is The Band overrated? If anything they may be one of the most underrated bands ever. Just because you don't like a band doesn't make them overrated.

How exactly is The Band overrated? If anything they may be one of the most underrated bands ever. Just because you don't like a band doesn't make them overrated.

They sound like an early version of The Eagles. I think they got most of their hype for working with Dylan. CCR was a more talented band in my opinion. The sounds are similar, but CCR had an edge on them. I've heard their work, but it's twangy to me. To be honest, it comes to their harmony, and they didn't capture it.

Well we all have faults, and yours is thinking U2 is great. Read your second sentence above. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? That is U2's problem. They think they matter. They don't. No band does. And if that is the best live band you have ever seen, you either aren't very old, or haven't seen much.

"socially relevant" . Socially relevent as a dog ####. Bono is the Al Gore of Europe.

It's clear you don't like U2. As to your other comments, it's also clear that you don't know what your talking about. Let's just leave it at that. And no, I'm not really, REALLY old, but I'm hardly a youngster and I have seen many bands in concert. And U2 IS fantastic live(whether you're a fan of them or not), and by that I mean they sound just as good live as they do on recordings. I have also seen GNR live, and they were HORRIBLE (well, actually Axl was), and by that I mean they sound like crapola live. Get the picture?

They sound like an early version of The Eagles. I think they got most of their hype for working with Dylan. CCR was a more talented band in my opinion. The sounds are similar, but CCR had an edge on them. I've heard their work, but it's twangy to me. To be honest, it comes to their harmony, and they didn't capture it.

Dude, an early version of the Eagles? Please take that back.

I know you are one of the resident, self proclaimed music know-it-alls, but your credibility took a huge hit with that statement.

And similar sound to CCR? I'm floored, really.

Have you really actually listened to The Band?

I can kinda see where people want to give Dylan all the credit for what The Band was doing. But that will usually come from people who admit to not knowing what they are talking about, not a music snob like yourself.

And comparing them to the Eagles? I'm not sure I can even help you at this point.

"To be honest, it comes to their harmony, and they didn't capture it." (I gotta be honest...I #### my pants a little when I read this part. Classic.)

They are not the greatest songwriters. I'd give that title to Bob Dylan. Second place: Elvis Costello, Third place: John Prine

Lennon and McCartney were great song writers-just not the greatest.

I stand by my statement -their musicianship was suspect. Ringo was/is a joke.

Beatles are overrated. And tremendously so. They were the first big thing-rock or pop band wise. Therefore they get way too much credit. Of course they do have some great songs-melody wise. I actually like Beatles songs much better when they are played by an orchestra or on an acoustic guitar without vocals. I am not saying they are lousy or stink. They are just overrated.

you are crazy...they stopped touring and doing concerts in 1966 so they could focus only on their music and because they use the orchestra. every song they sing sounds different than the next. to say their musicianship is suspect is crazy...john and paul were not great guitarists by any means...but calling ringo a joke?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iBao-9UO2o

tell me how great this sounds ^^^

Dude, an early version of the Eagles? Please take that back.

Change my mind. I haven't listened to The Band since the 70's. "Down on Cripple Creek", what else "The Weight" ?

I'd rather hear Chicago than The Band. The Band wasn't even close to Blind Faith, Cream, or The Yardbirds. I don't care for Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Fairport Convention. I enjoy a few folk bands. The Band didn't have enough gumption to make a great albumn, in my opinion. I never liked the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, either. The Band was the same as them in my opinion.

Change my mind. I haven't listened to The Band since the 70's. "Down on Cripple Creek", what else "The Weight" ?

I'd rather hear Chicago than The Band. The Band wasn't even close to Blind Faith, Cream, or The Yardbirds. I don't care for Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Fairport Convention. I enjoy a few folk bands. The Band didn't have enough gumption to make a great albumn, in my opinion. I never liked the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, either. The Band was the same as them in my opinion.

Ok, at least you can admit it, now we are getting somewhere.

If you will PM me your address I'll burn you some stuff and send it to you.

Because I think if you would give them another listen you would stop lumping them in with bands like the Eagles, CCR, and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. They were much more than that, much more than another folk band, and they did make great albumns.

It is rumored that one of the reasons Clapton left Cream was because of Music from the Big Pink, even trying to join The Band at one point.

I can help you, please just give me a shout, I think your mind will be changed.

Ok, at least you can admit it, now we are getting somewhere.

If you will PM me your address I'll burn you some stuff and send it to you.

Because I think if you would give them another listen you would stop lumping them in with bands like the Eagles, CCR, and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. They were much more than that, much more than another folk band, and they did make great albumns.

It is rumored that one of the reasons Clapton left Cream was because of Music from the Big Pink, even trying to join The Band at one point.

I can help you, please just give me a shout, I think your mind will be changed.

Normally, I discourage such actions. I own "Music from Big Pink", "The Band", and "Northern Lights-Southern Cross", and there are a couple of songs that struck a chord. Maybe you can change my mind. Since it's something I wouldn't purchase, I'll take you up on your offer. If I "dig it", then I will make the appropriate purchases to insure that "The Band" receives their royalties.