5 Most overrated bands of all time?

Loftin74

In the defense of KISS their songs did not all sound alike. "Beth" is one of my favorite songs it sounded nothing like "Shout It Out Loud". Just for the record. And how are the Beatles over rated? Everyone of them proved to have talent outside of the group.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand why Camuch thinks Van Halen is overrated. I think that happened after Sammy joined the band with his imitations of David Lee Roth. Van Halen lost their edge when Eddie decided to part ways with DLR. VH for me is like the Eagles for you - ok?

Fivehead, I'll disagree on The Doors. The Doors are still influencing bands around the globe. Jim wasn't a great singer, but he was a great writer. I can listen to every Doors album without skipping a song. John Densmore on drums, Robbie Krieger with his bottleneck guitar, and Ray Manzerek providing Bass with the Moog organ speaks volumes about how talented those guys are. They are true artists of American Blues. I don't think you totally "get" the blues. The doors are not a blues band. They may have thrown an element or two of the blues in every now and then. Psychedelic Blues - maybe. I could be inclined to switch them with Kiss on this list. Partly because I fear that Gene will stumble on to this site and make us cough up some cash for mentioning them. :whome:

I like SRV, but all he did was combine Clapton and Hendrix in his guitar style. Stevie was a great guitar player, but he was a cover artist, in many aspects. Is he overrated ? No, that's not ALL he did. He kept the blues alive in a time when rap was coming on strong and trying to lay claim to the blues and introduced a new generation to the real blues. Kenny Wayne Shepherd did the same for the next generation. I think he was combining Robert Johnson and Albert Collins in his style, but what do I know. The blues are at the very core of most music genres. We would not have rock and roll or country without it. So can that kind of contribution be overrated?

WOW – I think this thread embraces the overused (albeit functional until a better cliche’ comes along) one-liner, to each their own, more than any other thread in SDC history!

The Kinks ?!? :ermm:

How can a band always in the Beatles shadow & with a band member who is one of the true genius songwriters be overrated ???? :unsure:

The Beatles are the most overrated Rock-n-Roll Band of all time. They were the first, but nowhere near the best. In fact they couldn't play their instruments worth a ####. They had good vocals and great song-writing. A good band-not the best. Almost every list by the alleged experts has them #1 . The Kinks were a better band than the friggin Beatles.

you obviously know nothing about the beatles...paul McCartney and John Lennon are THE greatest song writers of all time. george played the guitar very well...heck he invented an instrument...and ringo is one of the greatest drummers ever also...

mind explaining how the beatles are overrated? they were the most original, most genius, most influencial band ever.

not just you bevo...anyone who put them on their list...please tell me.

sometimes people will put a great band up there just cuz they are popular and know everyone loves them.

my top 5 is:

1. Elvis

2. Rolling stones

3. Earth, wind, and fire

4. David Bowie

5. alice cooper

1.) bon jovi

2.) aerosmith

3.) motley crue

4.) pearl jam

5.) nickleback

I thought that Bon Jovi's first album (self titled) was his one and only good album. Aerosmith was all-good before Perminant Vacation, then they were a 50/50 band to me. (except for seeing them live. They Rock).

they beat ac/dc for a grammy for best heavy metal album right? :rolleyes:

Actually, I think that they beat out Van Halen and Metallica. Whether you like VH or Metallica, you got to admit that was about as big a blunder ever made. Jethro Tull is more fitted for playing at renaissance fairs. Heavy metal and Flutes???Please!!!

Alice Cooper the original shock rocker is overrated ? LOL, even Alice doesn't take Alice seriously. Alice is just good time Rock and Roll fun that's why he was on The Muppets of all shows. If you ever went and saw him perform, you would change your mind. When you hear Alice mentioned by anyone, he's rarely in anyone's top 10 list. If anything Alice is underrated. He's been rocking for 40 years and still hasn't lost a step. His concerts are top notch performances

I have to agree with to agree with Cheaptrick77 and Camuch on The Kinks. I think everyone remembers "Come Dancing" and "Lola", but they don't think about their solid hits in the 60's and 70's. I'm just going to list my 4 favorites, but we could go on and on with The Kinks. "You Really Got Me", "All Day and All of the Night", "Waterloo Sunset", and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone".

After four months, I am sticking with:

1. Smashing Pumpkins

2. White Stripes

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers

4. The Smiths

5. The Dave Mathews Band

...and Dave, old buddy, the only thing Jethro Tull and Steely Dan have in common is that casual music fans think the band name is the lead singer's name! :whome:

Seriously, Tull has some cool tunes, e.g. "Locomotive Breath" ; "My God" ; "Teacher" ; "Living In The Past'

..and Steely Dan were recording studio & lyrical masters -- by no stretch of the imagination are they overrated.

^and those same casual music fans think Muddy Waters is a group/band :no:

I would agree with your list. I never knew that they were even rated much less over-rated, :w00t: IMO those bands don't deserve mentioning - period. Let's just say it's a given. Now, who's next on your list, cheapy?

What about Jethro Tull. I never could warm-up to a R&R band with a flute player.

:hmm: :rant: :coolio:

Man these guys can bring it. I saw them back in '76 and it was probably one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

no one wants to tell me why they think the beatles are overrated?

They souled thier souls to the devil :devil: .

Becuase John Lennon urinated on people as they walked under his hotel balcony. :no:

Becuase they helped bring in the drug and counter culture of the 60's. :thumbdown:

They sound like the monkeys. :whome:

Becuase everyone says they are the best, it is like the story of the king who was sold new clothes that only smart/cool people could see but really is just wearing his underwear and no one says nothing cause they dont want to look dumb. :homer:

U2 overrated.........please. U2 may have been the most unique, talented, provocative, and socially relevant band of all time. Not only were they fantastic musicians, they were unafraid to express their Christianity and political views through their music. The best live band I have ever seen.

best Beatles cover ever

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Streets- live

After four months, I am sticking with:

1. Smashing Pumpkins

2. White Stripes

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers

4. The Smiths

5. The Dave Mathews Band

...and Dave, old buddy, the only thing Jethro Tull and Steely Dan have in common is that casual music fans think the band name is the lead singer's name! :whome:

Seriously, Tull has some cool tunes, e.g. "Locomotive Breath" ; "My God" ; "Teacher" ; "Living In The Past'

..and Steely Dan were recording studio & lyrical masters -- by no stretch of the imagination are they overrated.

I just cringe on some of their songs. That's why I think this is all subjective anyway. I think Jethro Tull and Steely Dan were very talented. I just don't relate to their music. I think that's why we all love the bands that we love, and hate the bands that we hate. It's because either they remind us of how we are, how our life used to be, and what we have become as a human being.

I like some Bob Dylan, but most of his music I do not like. I enjoy many covers of his music, and I relate more to the artists that have performed his music. That might be because of his gravelly voice.

I enjoy music because of the places it takes me in my mind. Some bands click, and many don't. That's why I try to keep it in perspective. That might be why I like Badfinger, Journey, Chicago, RATT, Def Leppard, The Doors, Van Halen, Night Ranger, The Beatles, Candlebox, Stone Temple Pilots, Jimi Hendrix, etc. They remind me of good times, and great people.

I think what we all hear in music, is a different experience. This thread is just giving us a forum to express music that we either appreciate or not. I know that I don't base my opinion of people based on their music preferences. I do wonder what others are hearing ? Then I realize we all hear or read things differently, and we're not all the same. I don't think that's a bad thing, I think it's a good thing. If everyone's life was all the same, I think we'd be bored by it.

They souled thier souls to the devil :devil: .

Becuase John Lennon urinated on people as they walked under his hotel balcony. :no:

Becuase they helped bring in the drug and counter culture of the 60's. :thumbdown:

They sound like the monkeys. :whome:

Becuase everyone says they are the best, it is like the story of the king who was sold new clothes that only smart/cool people could see but really is just wearing his underwear and no one says nothing cause they dont want to look dumb. :homer:

hey i never said they were good people...matter of a fact i strongly disagree with their personal view on....just about every except love.

remember...we are talking about the BAND not the BAND MEMBERS. the music is all that matters.

it is like the story of the king who was sold new clothes that only smart/cool people could see but really is just wearing his underwear and no one says nothing cause they dont want to look dumb

I thought it was an emperor who had no clothes :unsure:

Becuase John Lennon urinated on people as they walked under his hotel balcony

That’s it – you have convinced me – all of these years of enjoying the recording studio and songwriting mastery & sheer poetry of their music have been for naught . I should have let John Lennon’s bladder habits make these decisions for me .... :rolleyes:

Journey pretty much ####. Steve Perry was a great great singer, but man they he had lousy material to work with.

He is the only reason anything they did is listenable.

You are definately crazy man.

But anyways, I after listening to all the different bands the last few days after I saw this thread I would have to say my list is:

The Rolling Stones

ZZ Top

Poison

Van Halen

Aerosmith