2009 White Bass

catahoula

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, i see where you are talking about, at the end of the rocks.... Yeah, I was thinkingth ewater temp was still too low, I imagine the weather of the last few days made it get a couple degrees cooler yet. How are you reading the water temps? Are you carrying a thermometer with you to the river?

I haven't seen any cars at the bridge over the last few days. Should be picking up in about a month I'd imagine. Maybe I'll get out and buy the license this weekend. Went to Academy at lunch today and they have a little jon boat combo set up in the aisle that looks like a nice little river setup for about $2500. Wish I had a truck or something to pull it with....

Medman, you thinking they are already starting to run in your area?

Yall have a nice weekend.

Cat

I was back down at the river today and yesterday. The cold front has knocked temperatures back down to around 47 to 48 Degrees surface temps in the river. Catahoula... I have a Humminbird Portable Sonar or fishfinder as some folks call it. It also gives surface temps. The cold front really slowed things down. Ive fished the last two days with nothing show for it, both the river and the main lake.

Blue Pirate, I saw a Bradford Pear bloomed out last week on Houston St. in Tyler, I kid you not! I think the blossoms will be falling off this week after that little bit of cold :nuke: weather we had last week.

Back down to 47 huh, man it doesn't take much to change those temps, hopefully the warmer weather this weekend and coming week will help things get back into check.

I guess ther were 10 -12 cars & trucks at the bridge this past saturday. Most of the trucks had trailers atttached to them, so they were probably fishing in the lake. No worries though, the season will be starting shortly. Time to get the old License, anyone know why the heck walmart wants your ss# to get a license, i overheard them asking for it from a dude a few days ago ? I don't remember having to pony that up before now & I'm thinkint I'll just make up a number for them, they swipe your DL and that should give them enough information about you......

Cat

Blue Pirate, I saw a Bradford Pear bloomed out last week on Houston St. in Tyler, I kid you not! I think the blossoms will be falling off this week after that little bit of cold :nuke: weather we had last week.

Back down to 47 huh, man it doesn't take much to change those temps, hopefully the warmer weather this weekend and coming week will help things get back into check.

Cat

The Bradford's up here have budded but appear a few weeks away from flowering.

BTW... Earlier I said I budded, but I meant to say flower.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey yall, I've been away for a little while and extremely busy work-wise and otherwise.... There is now lots of activity at the 31 bridge this week. I'm thinking the white bass are starting to move into the river. I don't have any time to go check it out this week, but hopefully next week I'll have a little more time.

HeadsRtails, have you been up there lately & got a line in the water? Whats the action like? The lot is full and there are about 12 or so cars on the road. I haven't seen anyone carrying out a stringer yet, but I haven't seen anyone walking out to their cars yet either.... I don't think the word has really spread around yet. Let me know when you plan to go and maybe we can meet up out there. Last year I was hitting it pretty regularly after work for an hour or so as it is on my way home. A couple times I was able to knock off an hour early.

Anyone else notice any action in their areas? CatManiac? MedMan? BluePirate? any news to report? Hows the action on the Sabine out of Longview?

Cat

Hey yall, I've been away for a little while and extremely busy work-wise and otherwise.... There is now lots of activity at the 31 bridge this week. I'm thinking the white bass are starting to move into the river. I don't have any time to go check it out this week, but hopefully next week I'll have a little more time.

HeadsRtails, have you been up there lately & got a line in the water? Whats the action like? The lot is full and there are about 12 or so cars on the road. I haven't seen anyone carrying out a stringer yet, but I haven't seen anyone walking out to their cars yet either.... I don't think the word has really spread around yet. Let me know when you plan to go and maybe we can meet up out there. Last year I was hitting it pretty regularly after work for an hour or so as it is on my way home. A couple times I was able to knock off an hour early.

Anyone else notice any action in their areas? CatManiac? MedMan? BluePirate? any news to report? Hows the action on the Sabine out of Longview?

Cat

Guess i can let the cat out the bag!!! Ive been tearing them up for about a week ... so has some other people. But to really catch them in droves right now is early in the morning. The first few hours at sunrise, the bite shuts down about 9 to 9:30 A.M. My wife says i need to keep my mouth shut...but i wish fun for all..theres plenty!!! Also i just ask that if people go down there please pick up your trash. Ive been takeing a 30 gallon trash bag and filling it everytime i go "which is every morning" to just give back to the river for what its done for me. Like i said ... theres sandies all up in the river but theres a few holes ive found that just holds a ton of fish. "Cat" you get ready to catch some fish ... Just PM me ....

Cat

I got one good report from yesterday that the sandies are starting pretty good at old 59 landing. I am still thinking we will have to get more rain to get them over the coal shoals and up this way to Longview.

Guess i can let the cat out the bag!!! Ive been tearing them up for about a week ... so has some other people. But to really catch them in droves right now is early in the morning. The first few hours at sunrise, the bite shuts down about 9 to 9:30 A.M. My wife says i need to keep my mouth shut...but i wish fun for all..theres plenty!!! Also i just ask that if people go down there please pick up your trash. Ive been takeing a 30 gallon trash bag and filling it everytime i go "which is every morning" to just give back to the river for what its done for me. Like i said ... theres sandies all up in the river but theres a few holes ive found that just holds a ton of fish. "Cat" you get ready to catch some fish ... Just PM me ....

Excellent reports! Good Luck to everyone out targeting the Whities!

Well, I went for about an hour yesterday after work and got only 1 bite. I was really pressed for time and moved around a lot and didn't stay in 1 spot very long. I did see a couple other guys catch some here & there though. Sounds like I may have talked to your wife at walmart when I was getting my fishing license yesterday...lol The lady I was talking to said her husband was tearing them up and for me not to go take their spot! ...lol We had a good chuckle about that. Yes, I know what you are talking about on teh trash, that's a shame, we are lucky the landowner allows us to access the river from his property to start with. It's too bad they don't appreciate that fact, I could go on and on about that one..... I'm leaving town this weekend but plan to be on the river next weeeknd. I'll pm you next week and may be we can make some plans to meet up.

Cat

Excellent reports! Good Luck to everyone out targeting the Whities!

Well, I went for about an hour yesterday after work and got only 1 bite. I was really pressed for time and moved around a lot and didn't stay in 1 spot very long. I did see a couple other guys catch some here & there though. Sounds like I may have talked to your wife at walmart when I was getting my fishing license yesterday...lol The lady I was talking to said her husband was tearing them up and for me not to go take their spot! ...lol We had a good chuckle about that. Yes, I know what you are talking about on teh trash, that's a shame, we are lucky the landowner allows us to access the river from his property to start with. It's too bad they don't appreciate that fact, I could go on and on about that one..... I'm leaving town this weekend but plan to be on the river next weeeknd. I'll pm you next week and may be we can make some plans to meet up.

Cat

Will Do.... It was another great bite this morning, Plus a nice Hybrid.

WHAT???? You've been holding out on us for a WEEK!!!! Thanks a lot man :thumbdown:

Seriously, I'm just playin with you. I don't care much for stompin up and down that muddy creek for a few sandbass. Been there done that. The trash really bothers me a lot too, and I guess I just don't care much for that particular fish. We can catch sandies and hybrids by the boatload out in the lake any time of year.

Big hybrids are ok, but I can't hardly think about fishing without thinking about Lake Fairfield redfish. Literally, when it comes to fishing anywhere around east texas, that's all I want to do. When you're hooked up with a 30+ inch redfish, there's just nothing like it. If it were closer, that's the only lake I would fish. Good luck to all you guys fishing the sand bass run this year.

Nice, a hybrid too! I was out of town for the weekend and when I came back last night about 5pm, the cars were really stacked up at the bridge. Did you get out any this weekend? So what is your total fish count this season? Mine unfortunately is still a big zero..... Hope to change that this week!

My buddy's house burned Saturday night, so it looks like I'll be mostly fishing solo this season, I can't imagine what they are going through. I'll probably be out helping him on the weekends when I'm not working too, so that will probably limit my river time too.

Anyone else do anything this past weekend? I'm going to try & stop after work today, will let yall know what happens tomorrow.

Cat

Nice, a hybrid too! I was out of town for the weekend and when I came back last night about 5pm, the cars were really stacked up at the bridge. Did you get out any this weekend? So what is your total fish count this season? Mine unfortunately is still a big zero..... Hope to change that this week!

My buddy's house burned Saturday night, so it looks like I'll be mostly fishing solo this season, I can't imagine what they are going through. I'll probably be out helping him on the weekends when I'm not working too, so that will probably limit my river time too.

Anyone else do anything this past weekend? I'm going to try & stop after work today, will let yall know what happens tomorrow.

Cat

That is terrible about your friend, Thankfully they are fine and nobody hurt. Im not sure how many sandies ive caught this year. I quit counting after the 4th morning of catching between 30 to 50. I would think its somewhere around 300 plus easy. I cant say enough that the only good bite is the first few hours after sunrise, even the hour before in the dark. It just has not been a good bite during the day yet. If you do fish during the day .... you have to slowroll your bait off the bottom or deadstick it. (And yes you will lose some baits but it works) I went this afternoon just to check the daytime bite and its still slow. I caught 6 in two hours but in the mornings it is just wild how well they bite. But they just shut down between 8 and 9 A.M. I dont keep them...I just like catching 'em. I got my wife up at 4:30 friday morning and took her down there, We caught around 50 or 60 before they got slow. Lots of other people have been hurt'n em in the mornings also....and they will tell you the same thing im saying. Its all about the morning bite right now but at some point that should change i would think. If you wanna really catch them like crazy you have to get up early. Plus every morning more people have been showing up cause the word is getting out. I get there early to make sure im on the good spots. " This should help put fish on the end of your line, cause im telling ya how to get it done" :thumbsup:

"Also (Cat)....my wife says that wasnt her at Walmart. But she did laugh about it!

I went last night after work until dark & caught 8 fish! There were others catching too but it looked slow, they seemed to turn on right around dark.

BluePirate, if the cold front does come through, what will that do to the fish that are already in the river? Surely they won't go back out into the lake will they? I'm planning to go Saturday, guess I'll have to dress warm! Hopefully it will just be cold, not rainy....

Bleeds, Fly Rod? no way man! Way too much brush in there, but I bet it would be nice to have one on a fly!

headsRtails, holy mackrel man! :notworthy: that's one heck of a start to the season! I was thinking I did great last year with about 160 or so during the course of the whole season! you have now humbled me and knocked me off the soap box! :cripple: Heck, I'm always up early on the weekends and will defiantely be there early this weekend! How early are you talking about, line in the water by 5am? 6am? Man I'm getting excited hopefully the weather will allow some good fishing this weekend.

Cat

I went last night after work until dark & caught 8 fish! There were others catching too but it looked slow, they seemed to turn on right around dark.

BluePirate, if the cold front does come through, what will that do to the fish that are already in the river? Surely they won't go back out into the lake will they? I'm planning to go Saturday, guess I'll have to dress warm! Hopefully it will just be cold, not rainy....

Bleeds, Fly Rod? no way man! Way too much brush in there, but I bet it would be nice to have one on a fly!

headsRtails, holy mackrel man! :notworthy: that's one heck of a start to the season! I was thinking I did great last year with about 160 or so during the course of the whole season! you have now humbled me and knocked me off the soap box! :cripple: Heck, I'm always up early on the weekends and will defiantely be there early this weekend! How early are you talking about, line in the water by 5am? 6am? Man I'm getting excited hopefully the weather will allow some good fishing this weekend.

Cat

Get'n there early....like 5:30 to 6 ...... sunrise is around 7 but you can still get them in tha dark. Just cant see were your throwing for a bit. Yeah... ive caught a good number but ive been down there everyday and put the time and research into get'n on these fish. More less been waiting on them and was there when it started.

Excellent info headsRtails! That I will do. I'll be the one with the little 4' shakespeare microcast rod. Yeah, i found out about getting them in the dark last night. Just hope you don't get hung up and have to tie a new bait in the dark......

here are the solunar tables if anyone finds this useful:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/reference/solunar/calendars/

Cat

Here's a bump to the top of page for more responses.

I just talked to headsRtails and he said he's been out there since 4:45 this morning and been tearing them up, he had 15 when I talked to him. I went last night and caught 4 more. that makes 13 total for the season so far! I think headsRtails will hit 400 this weekend if he doesn't today, hopefully I can make up some ground on him! I found a great spot last night just by my honey hole from last season, there is some blockage and the fish have to stage a little bit while before figuring out how to proceed upstream over the obstacle. The river level is very low this year and the current is pretty slow so far. The fishing has been pretty slow at times but has little spurts of some action. Hopefully I'll be able to get them this weekend and the fishing will pick up.

** Does anyone have any information on some ticket writing going on @ the Neches River in Chandler? I've been hearing reports of this and I certainly cannot afford a ticket or worse yet going to the klinck for trespassing. **

The females are coming in slowly now, headsRtails' meter registered 60 degrees surface temp the other day (wed.) and what I saw last night was a few spawning females splashing on the river. I'm kind of hoping this cold front they are calling for over the weekend slows it down a little bit since I have relatives traveling in from out of state in March just to fish this run. I've been bragging all year to them and would hate for them to miss it.

Any reports from other areas to mentions? Hows the Sabine?

Cat

Man im tired ..... been out there since way early. South of the bridge the sandies seem to have slow down a bit, being that their heading north of the bridge and seem to be thicker up that way. Caught 6 sandies and a drum by 7 A.M. this morning south of the bridge. Went North of the bridge looking for better action. Things seem to be better up that way this week. Ended up catching another 12 or 13 i think. Best bite is still early and late...... with the day time bite alot weaker. After the sun comes up the best way to get them is to slow roll it off the bottom. They are slower this week and have been for several days. But the fishing pressure has really been alot stronger with tons of people down there. Best bite is still to come. Please take your trash out with you when you leave if your down there! Be Safe...... :thumbsup:

Ya'll educate me on this late fall or early spring sand bass fishing. That's the same as white bass? I usually fish for them on the lake in the late spring when the crappie slow down. My father-in-law works pretty hard on them, removing the red stripe and washing them repeatly, to make them taste pretty darn good.