GSP vs Penn 2

Guest Huck

Guest imyahuckleberry

January 31st George St-Pierre and BJ Penn square off in a rematch. This should be a great fight.

I"m going with GSP in another split.

Thiago Silva vs Machida should be a great fight also. I'm picking Machida.

Anyone know the rest of the undercards?

Guest CNOrtega

After watching the first episode of the UFC Primetime thing leading up to the fight, I lost what little respect I had for BJ Penn. I hope GSP knocks him unconscious.

Machida will win his fight, and go on to make Rashad Evans call him daddy. Machida is the best at 205, and he'll show it in 09.

Fight card per UFC.com

Georges St-Pierre Vs. BJ Penn

Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva

Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones

Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida

Jon Fitch Vs. Akihiro Gono

Manny Gamburyan Vs. Thiago Tavares

Chris Wilson Vs. John Howard

Jake O'Brien Vs. Christian Wellisch

Matt Arroyo Vs. Dan Cramer

I hope Guida beats the mess out of Diaz. The Diaz brothers are a bunch of loud mouth punks.

GSP is going to make Penn quit when they get to rolling around on the ground. I know Penn is great on the ground but I don't think there are many that can keep up with GSP.

For some odd reason I thought it was tonight. :thumbsup: Now that ive gotten interested in this it seems theres a fight every weekend... Yall dont forget to watch the more entertaining fights <pulver and faber> <varner and cerrone> tom on versus.

For some odd reason I thought it was tonight. :thumbsup: Now that ive gotten interested in this it seems theres a fight every weekend... Yall dont forget to watch the more entertaining fights <pulver and faber> <varner and cerrone> tom on versus.

I hear ya. I just finished watching Couture vs Lesnar. I hate Lesnar's pansy :censored: hammer fists.

Pansy? After watching Fedor and Arlovski, im gonna go ahead and say Brock is the number 1 heavyweight in the world, which is considered as the baddest man on the planet! And by hammer fist, you mean hammer hawks, which is what Couture calls them. Mir who had literally been hit by the car a few years ago said it felt like he got hit by a truck when he fought Lesnar. Be ready for the mir lesnar figh to look alot like the lesnar and herring fight.

Pansy? After watching Fedor and Arlovski, im gonna go ahead and say Brock is the number 1 heavyweight in the world, which is considered as the baddest man on the planet! And by hammer fist, you mean hammer hawks, which is what Couture calls them. Mir who had literally been hit by the car a few years ago said it felt like he got hit by a truck when he fought Lesnar. Be ready for the mir lesnar figh to look alot like the lesnar and herring fight.

They were traveling about 2 inches and the elbows less than that.

You better hope your #1 heavyweight doesn't get caught in another ankle lock before he can even start having the nightmare of going against Fedor. :thumbsup:

Fight card per UFC.com

Georges St-Pierre Vs. BJ Penn

Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva

Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones

Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida

Jon Fitch Vs. Akihiro Gono

Manny Gamburyan Vs. Thiago Tavares

Chris Wilson Vs. John Howard

Jake O'Brien Vs. Christian Wellisch

Matt Arroyo Vs. Dan Cramer

I hope Guida beats the mess out of Diaz. The Diaz brothers are a bunch of loud mouth punks.

GSP is going to make Penn quit when they get to rolling around on the ground. I know Penn is great on the ground but I don't think there are many that can keep up with GSP.

1st-I'm with ya about the Diaz punks.

2nd-I'd beleive GSP by KO or desicion before GSP by sub. no way.

Guest CNOrtega

1) GSP has trained harder, Penn is a punk who's had everything in life handed to him, GSP has the size and speed advantage. This could not be less of a no-brainer.

2) Brock Lesnar would quit MMA and go to work as a janitor at some elementary school in Minnesota if he were to get in the ring with Fedor.

1) GSP has trained harder, Penn is a punk who's had everything in life handed to him, GSP has the size and speed advantage. This could not be less of a no-brainer.

2) Brock Lesnar would quit MMA and go to work as a janitor at some elementary school in Minnesota if he were to get in the ring with Fedor.

Yall are highly underestimatin Lesnar.. He will crush whatever comes at him... Once a superior athlete gets put in an ankle lock, he prolly wont make that mistake again.. i acctually see Mir tryin to stand up this time.. His stand up looked solid against Nog, and no one has really pushed lesnars stand up yet... Coture had a lil success there for a bit. But like ive said before, Fedor will be the only man to give lesnar a good fight. Which will also end with a Lesnar W. BUT IT WONT HAPPEN IN THE UFC

Guest imyahuckleberry

I've always liked Stephan Bonnar but haven't heard much from him of late. How's he looking and what are his chances against Jon Jones?

Guest imyahuckleberry
I've always liked Stephan Bonnar but haven't heard much from him of late. How's he looking and what are his chances against Jon Jones?

Not good, Jones wins.

GSP owned Penn

Machida spanks Thiago

Guest CNOrtega

Lyoto Machida will be Light Heavyweight Champion before 2009 is over. Dana can't hold him back any longer.

I heard GSP is going to start charging BJ Penn every time he opens his mouth, because he now officially owns BJ's face.

Did GSP's corner cheat to give him an edge?

By Steve Cofield

After a dominating victory over B.J. Penn at UFC 94, Georges St. Pierre is clearly the better fighter. GSP left no doubt. And yet now there is, thanks to one of his cornermen, Phil Nurse. It's pretty clear by watching the video that Nurse had some Vaseline on his hands when he rubbed St. Pierre's shoulders, back and chest between the first and second rounds.

Why is that a big deal in mixed martial arts? It's significant because of all the grappling and maneuvering that takes place on the ground. St. Pierre was on top of Penn in the second round and the Hawaiian tried several times to shift his legs up to work for a triangle choke or an armbar. Grip and some friction is huge in these cases and a slippery fighter would make it more difficult to lock on one of those holds. Above you can see, Nurse apply Vaseline to GSP's face, then get more Vaseline, then rub his shoulders, arms and back.

Penn's trainer Rudy Valentino told InsideFighting that St. Pierre cheated and the Vaseline thwarted his fighter's strategy:

"To cheat to win is not honorable. Why need another edge? Our gameplan was on the ground, not striking because we knew Georges had good kicks. We planned to work off the back."

Valentino says they warned the Nevada State Athletic Commission before the fight alleging that St. Pierre did it before their meeting in 2006 and that Matt Serra's camp claimed the same thing happened in Serra's second fight against GSP.

Greg Jackson, GSP's trainer hurt his reputation according to Valentino:

"I respect Greg Jackson but to do something like that, his integrity has been compromised."

Jackson told his side of the story to MMAWeekly:

"In between rounds, you always want to put on vaseline on (a fighter’s face). So Phil Nurse put all the Vaseline on his face, so his hands might have had a miniscule amount left over from that, when he went around the side and rubbed a little point on his back, and tapped on his chest."

Watching the scenarios (1, 2, 3), show Nurse did more than tap the chest and rub a little point on GSP's back.

Jackson chalked all of this up to an overreaction by the NSAC:

"At that point, somebody in the audience thought we were greasing George down, and ran over and told the commission that we were greasing his body down. The commission came in and said ‘you can’t grease him down,’ which didn’t work. They said ‘you’re putting Vaseline on his back,’ and Phil’s like, ‘oh, there might be a little on my fingers, but it wasn’t intentional at all, and of course they wiped it right off and it was gone, so it wasn’t a factor in the fight at all."

"The Commission" was actually NSAC executive director Keith Kizer. He bolted into the cage when he saw Nurse doing the same thing between the second and third rounds. Cage Writer spoke with Kizer after the fight and he was still steaming, saying that the rubbing of the back with Vaseline was completely inappropriate. But he was unsure if it had been done between the first and second.

UFC president Dana White also thought it was a serious violation:

"I saw the commission jump up there and flip out," said White. "They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think. I personally didn't see it, the commission did. And that's about as illegal as you can get... I'm sure the commission is going to deal (with it)."

White didn't believe that it affected the outcome of the fight but he re-stated that illegal is illegal:

"You could have put Vaseline on from head to toe, that wasn't the point, the point was you don't do it. It's illegal. The guy who did it needs to be punished, it's not (St. Pierre's) fault. The question is what happens to a guy that does that. You've got to put the smack down on him. He should lose his license."

Ultimately, did the use of the Vaseline win the fight for St. Pierre? No. But Penn's camp does have a right to complain.

St. Pierre should be getting props for being the better conditioned fighter, designing and executing the perfect gameplan. The way he wore down Penn in the first round by holding his left leg up on three occasions with the threat of a single-leg takedown, was brilliant. It allowed him takedown a tired Penn with ease in each of the next three rounds. More importantly, GSP was able to pass guard and shift between full guard and side control as if he were fighting a first-year jiu-jitsu student. Now Penn, other fighters who dislike St. Pierre and fans may call for an asterisk on his dominant victory.

See it here... LINK

Guest CNOrtega

With thanks to Sherdog.com

NSAC Comments on Vaseline Controversy

Monday, February 02, 2009

Brian Knapp

The sweat had not yet dried when accusations began to fly against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre after his lopsided victory against B.J. Penn in the UFC 94 main event on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Not long after his win, St. Pierre and his corner, including trainer Greg Jackson, came under fire for allegedly using a “greasing” agent between rounds. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer on Monday confirmed improprieties had occurred in the champion’s corner after the first and second rounds.

“After the first round, one of my inspectors came to me and told me he thought he saw one of the cornermen -- I believe it was Phil Nurse … after putting Vaseline on [st. Pierre’s] face, he saw him rub his shoulders, and it appeared as though he might not have wiped off his hands,” Kizer said. “After the second round, we observed Mr. Jackson putting Vaseline on Mr. St. Pierre’s face and then putting his hand on his back.”

At that point, Kizer attempted to get Jackson’s attention from outside the cage.

“I don’t think he heard me because of all the noise in the arena, so I immediately walked into the Octagon myself -- I’ve probably done that two other times in my career -- and told him to take his hand off Mr. St. Pierre’s back,” he said. “We took a towel and wiped off his back. After the third round, we went in again and made sure his back and shoulders were wiped off to ensure a level playing field.”

Kizer informed Penn’s camp of the situation after the bout ended. Penn’s manager and brother, J.D., told Sherdog.com on Sunday that the Hawaiian’s camp planned to file a complaint with the NSAC, but, as of Monday afternoon, Kizer had not heard from Penn’s representatives. Penn has 10 days to file.

Nevertheless, Kizer admonished Jackson and Nurse after the match.

“I told them I was disappointed and that they may have tainted Mr. St. Pierre’s victory,” he said. “I told them if it happens again, it will probably be the last time they work a corner in Nevada. Basically, they said, ‘Look, we’re sorry. We’re not trying to do anything. It was an accident.’ Whether it was intentional or not, I don’t know. It was improper.”

According to St. Pierre’s trainer, Greg Jackson, the controversy surrounding the bout has been blown out of proportion. Jackson addressed the accusations on the Monday edition of the Savage Dog Show on the Sherdog Radio Network.

“The controversy came because people didn’t know what they were looking at,” he said. “Steve Friend, ‘The Witch Doctor,’ he works with a ton of these guys, and he has this energy stuff [he does]. In between rounds, Phil [Nurse] put Vaseline on Georges’ head; then he’s supposed to reach around and rub something or tap something … I don’t know how it exactly works. On the outside, it looks like, ‘Why is he rubbing his back?’ And you don’t know why. ‘Oh, he’s putting Vaseline on. That’s got to be it.’”

St. Pierre punished Penn for four rounds, as he took him down numerous times and passed his guard with unthinkable ease. By the end of the fourth -- after Penn had absorbed a lethal dose of ground-and-pound -- the Hawaiian’s corner motioned to the cage-side doctor to stop the fight.

“On B.J.’s side, you just got beat, and you got beat pretty well,” Jackson said. “You gotta have something to hold onto. There’s gotta be a reason I got beat. They have to hold onto something, and I think they’re holding onto this.”

Jackson -- who also trains UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans -- vehemently denies any intentional wrongdoing took place in the corner in between rounds.

“We certainly don’t need to cheat to win,” he said. “If we were going to put Vaseline on his back, it wouldn’t be like a tapping little thing. We’d take some Vaseline and make it count, you know what I mean? We don’t do that. We don’t cheat.

“It’s really a non-issue to me because there are cameras everywhere; there are inspectors everywhere,” he continued. “I’m not the smartest guy, but I’m not a moron. I wouldn’t grease someone between rounds.”

One of the sport’s most visible and respected trainers, Jackson thinks St. Pierre’s performance may have worked against him in terms of giving the controversy legs. No one had ever defeated Penn so soundly before.

“When you’ve got a guy as good as Georges and people are looking, like, ‘How can this guy be so good?’ People are going to find controversy somewhere at some point,” Jackson said. “Georges was, like, ‘What are you talking about? That’s ridiculous. I worked really hard.’ It’s nice for us because we know we didn’t cheat. We know what happened that night. To me, it’s not really a big deal when you have the truth on your side.”

Not surprisingly, the Jackson’s Submission Fighting founder indicated the otherworldly St. Pierre would invite a third fight with Penn if there was doubt about the legitimacy of his victory.

“I’m sure he wouldn’t mind fighting B.J. a third time if they’re that concerned about it,” Jackson said. “I’m sure everybody would make a lot of money, and we’d certainly welcome that fight again.”

Jackson expects the furor surrounding their rematch to die down soon.

“There’s not a lot of validity to it,” Jackson said. “It wasn’t a close fight where people were like, ‘Oh, if it wasn’t for all the cheating they did …’ I think it will just blow over once people realize what the truth was.”

Kizer was uncertain as to whether or not the incidents impacted the match. The first time St. Pierre and Penn met, the outcome was far less one-sided, as the French Canadian took a split decision at UFC 58 in 2006.

“It’s hard to tell,” he said. “I don’t think it takes away the victory, but I think it takes away from the victory. You’ve got to be better than that.”

I think the results would have been the same if GSP were covered in sand paper.. Did it change the outcome, I don't think so, does it sort of tarnish the win a lil, MAYBE ?? If anything it opens a door for another rematch, prob exactly what the UFC wants !!