Legislator has bill to move Basketball Championship

sackem

You have got to be kidding!!!! First of all, YES...the Erwin Center seats more than the AAC.

Longhorn Fan Homer, I took your suggestion and did look up the seating capacity. Maybe you should too.

The largest crowd EVER for an event of ANY type at Erwin is this:

Largest Crowd:

John Denver

May 6, 1978

Attendance: 17,829

The basketball seating capacity is generally listed as 16755, but varies by a few hundred depending on the source you use.

The AAC in Dallas is generally listed as having a capacity for BASKETBALL of 19,200, even though the arena often lists 19,500 as the basketball capacity.

So, in short, I was not kidding and say goodbye to Austin. Jeez, Longhorn fans will even talk arena smack. Even when they know nothing of their own arena. Of course the Horns do have the most T-Shirt alumni.

Seriously though, it is a good central location. The only people that really get ripped off are the far west. I think one of the biggest issues that ruffle feathers is the exposure UT gets from it and the free recruiting benefit. We all have to keep in mind that anything the UIL does is directly related to $$$$$$$.

I didn't know the AAC seated that many for basketball. I thought it was much lower than that. My bad. I hear what you are saying regarding the UIL. One thing you have to remember is that the UIL gets charged by the Univ. of Texas at Austin, $25,000 to use the Erwin Center for each State Tourn. If they were going to go to someplace like say AAC, I can assure you, it would be 3 times that amount.

You are correct on both accounts though. Folks from the West have to travel and they always will regardless of where you have it. The Univ. of Texas does get a lot of kick in the recruiting as well which is one reason why they do not charge alot for the use of the EC.

It is still a great venue except for the parking. I have come to know the folks over at the hospital cafeteria over the years. Nothing like walking across the street vs walking blocks away or giving up your parking place.

This will be my 46th state tournament and I would hate to see it moved from Austin. I know that there are problems, but I feel the pluses outweigh the negatives. I can remember when we used to complain about the seating and parking at Gregory, now we mainly complain about the parking at the drum.

Looking forward to a great tournament this year.

TITLE IX....TITLE IX....TITLE IX.....

:saint:

Title IX...I understand, But the top ring is typically closed during the girls event. A smaller venue might make the event more exciting and less expensive for the UIL.

AND

I have been to 7-10 state tournaments (both girls and guys). I also understand the only one who likes change is a baby with a wet diaper...

but it's time to look at a change in venue. Make some "new" friends..

Respectfully...that's my opinion.

I do enjoy reading the other thoughts too!

If you go to a smaller venue then you would cut out some of the crowd for a lot of the boys games. I have seen the drum packed for a lot of the games. On the final day very few games draw less than 7,000 with the larger classes drawing from 9 to 14 thousand.