What is going on in Winona?

RandomMan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Gann, after you cash that check from the Sup. and board members, especially that fine Christian mother and her board Hubby, thank them for helping you get out of that hell hole.

That would be a great victory for all coaches...but how realistic is it ??? How often do we see individuals (idiot, non-educated, unprofessionals) with there own agenda trying to destroy teachers and coaches in front of the school board and the community and do it without reprimand. Winona should be embarrassed!!!!!! :thumbdown:

That would be a great victory for all coaches...but how realistic is it ??? How often do we see individuals (idiot, non-educated, unprofessionals) with there own agenda trying to destroy teachers and coaches in front of the school board and the community and do it without reprimand. Winona should be embarrassed!!!!!! :thumbdown:

I agree

I am glad that I listened to that "inner" voice that screamed NO when I interviewed there. The AD and HS principal were fine, but there was just something that did not ring true. WOW!! I really dodged the bullet there.

My prayers will be with Coach Gann and his family while they go through this, I can't even imagine.

There was a school board here in East Texas back in the mid to late 80's that acted pretty much the same way. They tried to enforce their power they thought they had. 3 Supt.'s later, the TEA got involved and authorized the temporary supt. to suspend the board. They were not allowed on campus for 30 days. When they came back, they were a different board and immediatly began working as a board should work.

The communities are given the oppertunity to help manage their local schools, but if they prove that they can't do that, then supt. has the oppertunity and report the board's actions to the TEA and ask for help.

Too many times, board members forget their role in the school district. In the case of Winona, this seems to be the case. If the supt. of Winona knows there is a problem with the school board, then he should report the board's behavior with the state. From the sounds of things though, I think it is safe to say that Coach Gann won't have any trouble finding a lawyer for this case. I am guessing they will be lining up to represent him.

To the taxpayers of Winona ISD.....get ready to shell out some serious dough!

worst i've ever seen at how they do business. if something doesn't go the way one individual wants it to, they will do everything they can to influence the opinion of their buddies and make a change. there is no chain of command. if you don't like something, you go straight to the supt with your complaint. THEN the AD and principals will find out. THEN the supt will tell them how to handle it. even against their recommendations.

If you have not been called a racist by the school board members wife, you have not been around Winona. That is the only statement she has when she does not get her way. I believe her statement was that is the way all you white people are.

If you have not been called a racist by the school board members wife, you have not been around Winona. That is the only statement she has when she does not get her way. I believe her statement was that is the way all you white people are.

Somebody should tell her that card is overplayed. Tell her to put it back in her pocket and keep it there.

I can tell you that in Winona, this kind of stuff is not practiced just at the school. I vowed never again to take a summer league baseball team back there. Rulebook??? Who needs a rulebook when you're in Winona. They have their own rules on force outs, and foul balls, etc... And yes...the fans are mouthy about everything, and they dictate from the stands what the umps call on the field. Terrible!!! Also, this lady is probably wanting a pat on the back for what she has done. And, in her little circle of friends she is probably a hero. She can go on home and plug in her Kid Rock Cd and knock back a few Busch Lights with her hot dogs tonight, and be happy with herself. But her and Bubba on the school board, and Bubba Jr with the attitude, and cousin Hoss with the attitude should be embarrassed of their actions. As my old cartoon buddy Fat Albert used to say..." You is like school on Saturday, NO CLASS!!!"

1. Thank goodness I turned a job down from there

2. Some people run for schoolboard to be of some help..........others run to be somebody.

3. Why doesnt the ref t her up?

4. Open meeting discussing personnel in open forum is illegal.

5. the entire faculty ought to walkout until TEA gets there.

It's sad that this has taken place especially during the middle of district play. Sad for the coach, sad for the AD, and more importantly it's sad for the kids involved.

I doubt that the courts would do anything about it due to the nature of the situation and who is involved, but at least the Tyler news should pick this story up and expose the Superintendent, the School Board, and the School Board members wife.

Just because their kid is not very talented and seems to get by with everything he does is no reason to subject termination on such a professional and go as far as to slander his good name

"He is no fool to give that which he can not keep, to gain that which he can not lose"

It's sad that this has taken place especially during the middle of district play. Sad for the coach, sad for the AD, and more importantly it's sad for the kids involved.

I doubt that the courts would do anything about it due to the nature of the situation and who is involved, but at least the Tyler news should pick this story up and expose the Superintendent, the School Board, and the School Board members wife.

Just because their kid is not very talented and seems to get by with everything he does is no reason to subject termination on such a professional and go as far as to slander his good name

Great post. I wish someone "paper,news,etc..." would step up!

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!! This sounds like there is no leadership and little league antics where parents are dictating how things are ran. It is a shame, but this school will probably never have an opportunity like it should until the proper people are placed in the proper positions(Superintendent, school board, etc...) Are the classrooms just as bad as the athletics? I could only imagine gojng to teach a class every day with the kids acting like their fans do...

First let me say that though I have two younger brothers that go to Winona, I did not go there myself & as of now my child does not go there.

That said, I want to urge people to back off a bit. The AD is named Wylie Vonner- he is a great guy & is as fair as he can be. He doesn't succumb to the expectations that he take care of his own when it flies in the face of his own good judgment. More importantly, he is a huge step up from the old supt. The AD/Head football coach is named Mike Sorenson and I cant say enough good things about him. Awesome guy, treats people well, is great to the kids and interacting with the parents, and has built a respectable football program from NOTHING. He has taken a football program that was once a joke & an eyesore on the field to one game away from the playoffs the past two years. Making the playoffs in football was a DREAM for Winona five years ago. There are strides being made and there are some good athletes out there.

The people from the AD down in the schools administration do the right things. There are just some community members/parents outside that have too much influence on how things are done. That is why they are on the outside in the first place- these are not their decisions to make. Someone needs to put there foot down and tell them that stuff- if I ever get the chance to I will. People need to let the SUPT & AD run their shows. They have proven they can do so and at a high level I might add.

First let me say that though I have two younger brothers that go to Winona, I did not go there myself & as of now my child does not go there.

That said, I want to urge people to back off a bit. The AD is named Wylie Vonner- he is a great guy & is as fair as he can be. He doesn't succumb to the expectations that he take care of his own when it flies in the face of his own good judgment. More importantly, he is a huge step up from the old supt. The AD/Head football coach is named Mike Sorenson and I cant say enough good things about him. Awesome guy, treats people well, is great to the kids and interacting with the parents, and has built a respectable football program from NOTHING. He has taken a football program that was once a joke & an eyesore on the field to one game away from the playoffs the past two years. Making the playoffs in football was a DREAM for Winona five years ago. There are strides being made and there are some good athletes out there.

The people from the AD down in the schools administration do the right things. There are just some community members/parents outside that have too much influence on how things are done. That is why they are on the outside in the first place- these are not their decisions to make. Someone needs to put there foot down and tell them that stuff- if I ever get the chance to I will. People need to let the SUPT & AD run their shows. They have proven they can do so and at a high level I might add.

I think you missed the whole point to this post. If you read a few pages back, the boys basketball coach was re-assigned! Why? As far as the post goes, because he tried to run his basketball program legitimately and with discipline that these kids are obviously not used too. One parent was highly dissapointed because his or her kid could evidently do no wrong in their eyes (even if it is cussing in the coaches face and getting kicked off the team). That was not acceptable for these parents and they evidentally went after the coach with deliberate blows below the belt, as well as ear biting (I had to make the Tyson joke). The post said that these parents are board members and are "in the Sup's back pocket" if you know what I mean. Just sounds like a bad deal any way you cut it. Usually you could say the kids are the only ones getting hurt in this situation, but I would have to say the coach may be getting hurt a little worse.