What is going on in Winona?

RandomMan

Who needs a rulebook when you're in Winona. They have their own rules on force outs, and foul balls, etc... And yes...the fans are mouthy about everything, and they dictate from the stands what the umps call on the field.

That could be a good thing there. If the umps go on strike again they want need to hire any in Winona. They might even have a few that will hire out to help the other schools, because they already know the rules and everything.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people from the AD down in the schools administration do the right things.

Really? Then why was Coach Gann reassigned? The school board is supposed to act according to the superintendent's recommendations. If this isn't the fiasco it's being made out to be. Then please explain the legitimate reason this was done.

Really? Then why was Coach Gann reassigned? The school board is supposed to act according to the superintendent's recommendations. If this isn't the fiasco it's being made out to be. Then please explain the legitimate reason this was done.

Re: Coach Gann being reassigned- I agree with yall. I have no explanation for that. When I said the people in the Winona's administration do the right things, I was speaking generally. There does not seem to be a good reason in this specific instance. I was just trying to take up for the SUPT & AD because I think they are both stand up guys. The only thing I can see is that one or both of them must have caved in to outside pressure to reassign the coach by influential members of the community. Some have a harder time than others standing up for an employee... especially when it seems like the vocal citizens demanding that a move be made seem like the majority. It would have helped a lot if the parents/people that had thought he handled the situations correctly would have been more vocal in defending him. Often in these instances, the only people that get heard are the PO'd ones that have axes to grind.

I think you are right. They need to get someone in there that knows how to teach discpline first, then athletics. It seems like the young oness over there have thier priorities all twisted.

yes, we need more young coaches that yell at white oak's fans going into halftime. that is the sort we need. discipline first

Dang, all I see is coaches bashing on winona and how they are so glad that they never took a job there or are no longer coaching there. This is ridiculous, maybe instead of being afraid to coach there someone can actually step up and have enough self-determination to take matters into thier own hands and turn the program around. It sounds like the only thing that is needed is a coach that wont buckle under the pressure that is surrounded by the immature adults of the community. Just go in there and teach discipline, most of those kids have the athletic ability, they just need to learn how to use it. the kids aren't even that bad compared to the older people there in winona. I heard more vulgar language coming from Winonas home-side bleachers than ive ever heard in my life. The kids aren't bad on thier own, they just haven't been taught well yet. Thats not a stab at these kids' parents either, its just a fact (and its obvious that these kids have not been taught the values of hard work and sportsmanship) unlike athletic ability, you cant just be born knowing good morals, int not an instinct. I'm going to college and majoring in education so i can teach high school and coach and winona will be one of the first places ill go to find a job, i wouldnt let anything intimidate me, and other coaches shouldn't either. I hope this program gets turned around before then though. All it will take is some discipline, hard work, and determination.

Dang, all I see is coaches bashing on winona and how they are so glad that they never took a job there or are no longer coaching there. This is ridiculous, maybe instead of being afraid to coach there someone can actually step up and have enough self-determination to take matters into thier own hands and turn the program around. It sounds like the only thing that is needed is a coach that wont buckle under the pressure that is surrounded by the immature adults of the community. Just go in there and teach discipline, most of those kids have the athletic ability, they just need to learn how to use it. the kids aren't even that bad compared to the older people there in winona. I heard more vulgar language coming from Winonas home-side bleachers than ive ever heard in my life. The kids aren't bad on thier own, they just haven't been taught well yet. Thats not a stab at these kids' parents either, its just a fact (and its obvious that these kids have not been taught the values of hard work and sportsmanship) unlike athletic ability, you cant just be born knowing good morals, int not an instinct. I'm going to college and majoring in education so i can teach high school and coach and winona will be one of the first places ill go to find a job, i wouldnt let anything intimidate me, and other coaches shouldn't either. I hope this program gets turned around before then though. All it will take is some discipline, hard work, and determination.

When you are reassigned it is not about buckling or giving up, it is about your job being taken from you. Hang onto this post so that when you do enter the profession you can go back and read how naive you were about what truly happens in some political small towns.

Why would any coach willingly put themselves in that environment? Life is too short to put up with that. It's not coaches jobs to fix or fight communities. Go were you are happy and enjoy life.

Why would any coach willingly put themselves in that environment? Life is too short to put up with that. It's not coaches jobs to fix or fight communities. Go were you are happy and enjoy life.

any coach that would want to feel like he accomplished anything would coach there. it would only take a few years to turn the program around.

any coach that would want to feel like he accomplished anything would coach there. it would only take a few years to turn the program around.

That's easy to say if your not a coach, but getting cussed out by parents, your wife and kids having to deal with, getting fired because of it? Unless you're driven by ego why would you want to put up with that. I have accomlished a lot in life and I would not want to put my family or myself though that.

That's easy to say if your not a coach, but getting cussed out by parents, your wife and kids having to deal with, getting fired because of it? Unless you're driven by ego why would you want to put up with that. I have accomlished a lot in life and I would not want to put my family or myself though that.

I understand... I guess it would be different for a young coach. I'm just respectfully disagreeing, i'm not calling you wrong i was just stating my opinion. For a coach that was looking for a challenge and to try and turn a sports program as well as a community around, it looks as if winona would be a great place to start.

You have coaches that do the opposite to what this coach did. You have coaches that play the game, and cater to those that pat them on the back. You see the parents seek out the coaches to talk with them.

I understand... I guess it would be different for a young coach. I'm just respectfully disagreeing, i'm not calling you wrong i was just stating my opinion. For a coach that was looking for a challenge and to try and turn a sports program as well as a community around, it looks as if winona would be a great place to start.

So all of the other coaches that have come through there have not felt the same way as you. I can promise there have been some very good coaches that really cared and tried to "turn things around". That is why winona continues to be able to hire more coaches. I personally know coaches that tried what you are saying and have left with nothing but grief. You might be able to change a few, but it is going to take a GROUP of miracle workers to change that situation if what is going on now is allowed to continue by the people in charge.

Oh to be young again....

Sounds like the coaches are not the problem. As stated, there have been many coaches that have done their best to bring integrity and discipline to Winona. The problem is the community and school board members (or spouses of) don't want it. Making this a no-win situation for any inspiring coach, proven with the case of Coach Gann and others. TEA needs to get involved...obviously the people of Winona are incompetent.

Oh to be young again....

Sounds like the coaches are not the problem. As stated, there have been many coaches that have done their best to bring integrity and discipline to Winona. The problem is the community and school board members (or spouses of) don't want it. Making this a no-win situation for any inspiring coach, proven with the case of Coach Gann and others. TEA needs to get involved...obviously the people of Winona are incompetent.

yeah i guess your right. It is the community, and TEA should do something if things dont straighten up.

jgamel, although I admire your beliefs on what you think as a young man, I have to disagree. The coach that just got reassigned, had discipline and ran the program with structure (from what I gather after reading several posts). He made the kids act right. It is the parents that are running that asylum, and that my friend, you cant change. As for your future education desires, I applaud you for wanting to be a positive role model to young people. My advice to you as a young future coach would be to make sure your first job is at a traditionally strong school for both athletics and education. Get under some proven winners and see how they operate a program. Surround yourself with good people and good things will happen. I promise you that Winona is not that place. Coaching is too hard to begin with, but throw in the type of people that Winona supposedly has and that gives you a recipe for disaster and much unhappiness and unwarranted stress. Trust me, dealing with teenagers is all the stress you will need. Good Luck

I graduated from Winona in 1994 back when Mr. Nickerson was still principal. The year after I graduated he was promoted to Supr. Mr. Nickerson was the best thing that happened to that school. He was the kind of person you could joke around with but at the same time, we knew he was strict and if we did something wrong, you would get in trouble for it. Winona has went downhill ever since he died. There's no way I would ever put my child in Winona schools. And the problem is the teachers and staff have no authority over the kids. It all starts with how you are raised at home and now days, most kids have no respect for anyone. And if the parents are acting this way, there is sure no hope for the kids. To this day, if I ever disrespected or backtalked to someone, my head would be rolling around on the ground.