Are we nearing the end of our run?

BluePirate

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse (bounty, gifts, donations, generous giving, etc.) from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship.

Democracies progress through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependence; from dependence back again to bondage."

Some believe Alexander Fraser Tytler penned the above quote while writing a thesis in the late 1700's on the rise and fall of the Athenian Republic, whereas others believe Lord Thomas MacCauley wrote it on May 23, 1857, in a letter to an American friend. I cannot verify to whom to credit goes for the quote, nonetheless, truer words have not been written.

I have found attributions to Alexander Tyler, Tytler, and even a story saying the quote didn't exist from that time.

Regardless of the author, the parallel with today's situation our country is alarming, nay terrifying.

Guest CNOrtega

History has shown this to be true. The people are all to willing to give their power away to a dictator. Otherwise, men like Ceasar, Napoleon, and Hitler would have never rose to power.

Guest imyahuckleberry
Knocking on the door heck! We've rung the doorbell twice and I can hear footsteps approaching the doorway!

I'm afraid your right :thumbsup:

Oh no! We are in the door and it is fixing to hit us in the butt! But it is ok. It is like nature, it is part of the process, we will weed out the non contributers. Many will be put back in the place they probably should have never been let out of, and it will all start over again. It is history.