Split Back Veer Offense

Coach4Christ

Who is East Texas runs the split back veer offense besides Ted Patton at Rusk? I know Ken Little ran it when he was a head coach but I can't think of anyone else. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of this offense?

Not many teams any more, that I am aware of. But I can tell you this, I really, really like the veer, option, wishbone, expecially the veer. Given the choice between watching a spred team and a veer game , the veer wins out every time. Just me, but I had rather watch a good veer, option game any day. Nothing better than a fine tuned , well run veer. You do need a sharp QB with ice water in his veins to build around. Let me know when and where you are running the veer and I will show for the game. Good luck and make good reads. Thanks coach Yeoman for the veer.

Bill Yeoman (born December 26, 1927 in Elnora, Indiana) was the head football coach at the University of Houston from 1962 to 1986. During his 25-year tenure, he became the winningest coach in school history, compiling an overall record of 160-108-8. Yeoman revolutionized offensive football in 1964 by developing the Veer option offense. Yeoman also played a prominent role in the racial integration of collegiate athletics in the South by being the first coach in the State of Texas to sign a black player. Yeoman's Cougars finished the season ranked in the AP Top 10 four times and finished 10 times in the Top 20.

Who is East Texas runs the split back veer offense besides Ted Patton at Rusk? I know Ken Little ran it when he was a head coach but I can't think of anyone else. What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of this offense?

don't have to block everyone....read em and pitch em !!

Positives: Will capitalize on undicsiplined defenses. It requires defenses to acount for every back and eligible man on the field. If one player is left uncovered and it is being run correctly it usually results in big yardage.

Negatives: It requires alot of practice, and usually teams don't throw much that run this well due to that. Teams also know it's coming and can prepare to stop it.

I ran it from JH through HS. It's not as complicated as most think to run, but it is very hard to defend.

Advantages- Ball control, evens out the playing field with regards to size and speed, teaches kids to be aggressive hard nosed ball players ready to hit, extremely difficult to defend if run properly

Disadvantages- 2 minute offense, passing, and playing from behind

I hated it early, but as I learned more about it and how difficult it is to defend from the other side of the ball I grew to love it.

Get some of Sleepy's old Carthage films--they did it well. Need a smart QB. You can run veer out of T or even I if you want.

Yes, I can remember back in the day when Aubry McMillin was QB and went on to play for coach Yeomen at UH. I was doing color for the Henderson radio station along side Jim Wallace. Wow exciting football, Coach Watson against Sleepy. I would like to see the veer make a come back in east texas.

positives: small playbook - you can spend more time teaching technique instead of trying to get 16-17 year old hormonal kids to memorize a 3" playbook.

negatives: hard to come from behind running the veer.

Anybody know if De La Salle is still running the veer?

Sorry you old schoolers, but in case you haven't noticed, its the 3" playbooks that are winning the state rings. The split back veer is old and very predictable. In the stone age it worked but now its all about the spread. Im not demeaning anyone but that's just the way it is. I hope someone proves me wrong because it is fun to run. Just wondering when was the last successful split back veer team?

Sorry you old schoolers, but in case you haven't noticed, its the 3" playbooks that are winning the state rings. The split back veer is old and very predictable. In the stone age it worked but now its all about the spread. Im not demeaning anyone but that's just the way it is. I hope someone proves me wrong because it is fun to run. Just wondering when was the last successful split back veer team?

I know Lucky Gamble led Chilton to a state championship in 2006 running the split back veer. Ted Patton led Elysian Fields to the state championship game in 2007 with it, so it can be done. I am just looking for some insight on the offense.

Garrison in 03 and Liberty Hill in 07. I think LH runs the wing T but it's still a run based option offense.

Garrison ran the veer in 2003?

Liberty Hill runs the Slot-T. It is more of a mis-direction offense than split backs if I am not mistaken.

I could be mistaken about Garrison in 03, they have run the ball very well in the last 30 + years with some ups and downs hear and there. As for Liberty Hill I did misidentify the offense, you are correct. I was just excited about the general interest in run offenses. I am a big fun of the run offense of any kind but especially the veer and or option.