Split Back Veer Offense

Coach4Christ

Lucky Gamble was not coaching at Chilton when they won state in 06'. Chilton was dang near unstoppable because they were bigger up front than 95% of the teams in 1A and had a tailback that was 230 and ran 4.5.

In 1A ball that sure makes a difference.

Lucky Gamble was not coaching at Chilton when they won state in 06'. Chilton was dang near unstoppable because they were bigger up front than 95% of the teams in 1A and had a tailback that was 230 and ran 4.5.

You are right Indian, my bad. Robert Little was the coach and still is today. They were pretty aggressive up front and the Landrum cousins were dang near impossible to defend. If my memory serves correct, Coach Gamble went back to Chilton after Timpson to be the offensive line coach.

Sorry you old schoolers, but in case you haven't noticed, its the 3" playbooks that are winning the state rings. The split back veer is old and very predictable. In the stone age it worked but now its all about the spread. Im not demeaning anyone but that's just the way it is. I hope someone proves me wrong because it is fun to run. Just wondering when was the last successful split back veer team?

Hasn't some team lately won championship using the old single wing and double wing offenses?

Hasn't some team lately won championship using the old single wing and double wing offenses?

What does it matter? You can run the option and get the same action out of the spread while taking more defenders away from the ball via formation. If you have a QB that can run both elements, option and spread, you can have the best of both worlds.

What does it matter? You can run the option and get the same action out of the spread while taking more defenders away from the ball via formation. If you have a QB that can run both elements, option and spread, you can have the best of both worlds.

Ga Tech was very successful with the spread option this past year. I ran the Power I option from the 7th grade through 12th grade, we had great success with it!

i know Dekalb used to run it to perfection, especially during their 3A years. as far as the spread it's become the base offense for a lot of teams now days and everybody is gearing their defenses to shut it down. more DB's back covering the passing lanes and fewer guys up on the line to plug the run. at some point over the next few years the art of run stopping at the line is going to be a distant memory and thats when some coach is going to dust off offenses like the veer, wish bone, wing-t and under center option offenses and have a field day. football at every level is a copycat game. whoever is winning with whatever offense is going to be copied through out the state. it may take a few more years but trust me it'll cycle around.

remember it was Dutch Meyers back in the 50's at TCU that first invented the spread offense. he absolutely wrecked people with it. it was eventually phased out for the ground option games that were the rage of the 60's,70's and even part of the 80's and 90's. those nebraska teams of the early 90's would could probably still beat 95% of the spread teams that are on the field today.

I don't know about state championships using the double wing....but I do know that Joaquin runs it and they have totally turned there program around running the double wing, have probably about won more games in the last 7 years than they have in the schools history, won 3 or 4 District championships and went to the playoffs 7 strait years went fairly deep a couple of times. Me personally I would love to see a big school who had above average talent run it...I think it would definatley work....and would shake things up a little...

Univ. of Florida

In the past few years high school teams in Virginia, Michigan, New Mexico, New York, Colorado, Iowa have all won championships with the single wing. As teams spend most their time working on defending the spread it makes sense that some coaches will use a contrarian approach.

I've read two of his books. Don't know if I call myself a fan but I've used some of what he does. The single wing stuff I've used comes from Dave Cisar and Ken Keuffel. Of course I'm just one of those sorry youth football coaches that doesn't have a clue :thumbsup:

The only way i knew is that i had the book also. Lot of what he says makes sense, i didnt use the gap 8 defense [ too scared opponents rb would get past the los ] but did use the unbalanced single wing and slow down method when we were ahead. Loved the spread when it first came in, cant stand it now. Like watching power and misdirection running teams with roll out play action passes.

The only way i knew is that i had the book also. Lot of what he says makes sense, i didnt use the gap 8 defense [ too scared opponents rb would get past the los ] but did use the unbalanced single wing and slow down method when we were ahead. Loved the spread when it first came in, cant stand it now. Like watching power and misdirection running teams with roll out play action passes.

I used JTR's Gap Air Mirror defense several yrs. ago. Worked like a charm but the front 4 bear crawlers hated it. But the d doesn't work if they stand up and get blown out. Offensively Dave Cisar stuff is much better in my opinion. I mixed in some seam buck plays from Ken Keuffel. The direct snap fb seam buck with the bb (or sniffer) leading is a great play out of an unbalanced line. Love the blocking back wedge and spinning fb stuff. TB off tackle pulling the guard sets it all up of course. The single wing is a lot of fun and the players love it.

So the story goes for ANY defensive scheme.

True but when you have 8 at the los it is not good at all. In the GAM the front 4 are in the gaps, the LB's are head up on the ends or lined up on a wr (if there is no TE), DE's are at the los lined up on air. That leaves two corners who mirror the backs and/or wr's and 1 safety. Hence the name Gap, Air, Mirror. If the Off. has an empty backfield it looks like a 10-1. It is similar to celina's d.

i dont know where this tread headed but back to topic... Veer is a solid offensed for teams with small/weak offensive lines. It takes the burden of the big boys having to make perfect blocks and puts more on the qb and rb to make good choices and use their athletic ability. Teams who are smart can run it at will...teams who are careless should learn to be very good on defense