Center hires Kevin Goodwin as AD/Football Coach

Smoaky

Center I.S.D. approved the recommendation of Kevin Goodwin as their athletic director and head football coach.

Goodwin, a Center graduate who played college football at SFA, told KTBB Sports and Smoaky.com on Monday night, "I am so excited about this opportunity, it's been seventeen years since I last lived in Center."

Goodwin, most recently the wide receivers coach the past two years at West Orange-Stark continued, "We need to get the tradition back at Center like we had in the late-80's, and most of the 90's, and it's not going to be easy, it's going to take a lot of hard work, more discipline and we must get stronger."

Goodwin replaces Ron Callahan, who was 7-23 in three-years with the Roughriders.

Goodwin has also coached at Killeen Ellison, Anahuac, Texas A&M-Commerce, Stephen F. Austin State University, and Central Arkansas.

Smoaky, I understand that Kevin is a great guy but is he ready to be the AD/HF? According to the SBEC web site he has only had his teaching certificate since May '07 and was an Aide in March of '06. My questions are why did it take him so long to get his certification and has he ever been a coordinator? I know you don't have to be a coordinator to be a great coach but I understand they passed over several guys who had a lot more proven experience than Kevin and right now Center needs the best coach they can get to improve their program. I just want what is best for Center and I hope that they have selected the right one.

Smoaky, I understand that Kevin is a great guy but is he ready to be the AD/HF? According to the SBEC web site he has only had his teaching certificate since May '07 and was an Aide in March of '06. My questions are why did it take him so long to get his certification and has he ever been a coordinator? I know you don't have to be a coordinator to be a great coach but I understand they passed over several guys who had a lot more proven experience than Kevin and right now Center needs the best coach they can get to improve their program. I just want what is best for Center and I hope that they have selected the right one.

he was an assistant at A&M-Commerce for a little while wasnt he?

Going back and coaching at your Alma Mater is probably a dream for most coaches, but it's also very difficult.

Let's be honest, Center High needs a spark, and that's nothing against the previous coaches.

The program has been sporadic since a nice run throughout the 90's, and unless I've read the wrong resume, Kevin Goodwin has coached at various levels, high school and college, and I know when I spoke with him last week, he was very excited about the opportunity.

1990 5-4-1 James Conway

1991 8-3-0 James Conway

1992 8-2-1 James Conway

1993 7-4-0 James Conway

1994 8-3-1 James Conway

1995 8-4-0 James Conway

1996 9-4-0 James Conway

1997 3-7-0 James Conway

1998 4-6-0 James Conway

1999 1-9-0 Paul Essary

2000 8-3-0 Paul Essary

2001 4-6-0 Paul Essary

2002 2-8-0 Paul Essary

2003 0-10-0 Gale Ashley

2004 8-5-0 Gale Ashley

2005 5-4-0 Gale Ashley

2006 2-8-0 Ron Callahan

2007 2-8-0 Ron Callahan

2008 3-7-0 Ron Callhan

Unless I'm wrong, Coach Goodwin is also a fighter, and that's what Center needs as well.

Smoaky

Who cares about how long the guy has had a certificate! He obviously out interviewed those who had more experience than him. I commend Center for thinking outside the box and not going with typical same old hire.

I think one of the main things that makes him a good hire is that he's a proven winner. He's been in coaching for like 15 years, out of those years plus those as a player he's had ONE losing season.

For those of you who didn't read that correctly I'll retype it.

ONE

Just one losing season in his whole life. Now that says something about a person, as a player and a coach.