President Obama insults the handicapped

Guest Bear_Den

My aunt is Down's Syndrome. I found Obama's comment as offensive as I found the picture on SDC in the Obama on ESPN Sports Center thread. Both were tasteless. Many of us with mentally handicapped relatives, however, have learned to accept this "humor." It's just said and done carelessly, right? No harm intended, right?

Again, he is just an overgrown Frat boy having the time of his life. He does or says something wrong, he apologizes, and the kool aiders eat it up. He plays to that and how society has become so touchy feely, feminized, PC, that if you apologize its OK, and he gets away with it!!!

Im not a obama supporter in any way but i do believe that he didnt mean it the way everyone took it. I say things like that all the time but that doesnt mean that I dont believe in the special olympics and Im not in any way making fun of the disabled.

Baseballfreak, who do you think you are making fun of then? What comparison are you making? Whether you realize it or not, it is a direct insult to the very people you say you aren't making fun of. It's just so commonplace and "everyone says it" that it must be okay, right?

Guest Bear_Den
That was pretty bad. Did he hurt your feelings Bear Den?

Didn't hurt my feelings. I'm just surprised that he'd make a joke of that nature on national television.

Baseballfreak, who do you think you are making fun of then? What comparison are you making? Whether you realize it or not, it is a direct insult to the very people you say you aren't making fun of. It's just so commonplace and "everyone says it" that it must be okay, right?

i understand now where you are coming from and i apoligize for making the comment.

Thanks, baseballfreak - no harm done. Apology accepted.

** I made the mistake one time when I was about 9 or so of saying that my sister was "so retarded." My mom blew a gasket and sat me down and explained what I had just said. Believe it or not, I really hadn't made the connection between her sister and mental retardation. Jeanette was just ... Jeanette. Even though I still think my sister was pretty dumb (LOL), I would never have wanted to hurt my aunt and my grandparents. I've never forgotten the hurt. **

haven't you noticed that liberals say things that are insulting all the time (biden is the worst) and they get a pass from the media on it. they have never had to run their words through a mental filter and they don't know how to think before they speak and they end up spilling their toxic #### all over the airwaves. if america is watching, obama is showing his true colors. but 40% just don't care.

I think it's humorous that every time either he or Biden step away from the teleprompters, they say something that would get most people in their positions in a lot of trouble. Obama can't just "wing it." Talk long enough and he's bound to say something wrong.

I think we all make off handed remarks that we regret. Perhaps they were off the cuff, maybe it was attempting to be jocular. I want to know why BHO was on "The Tonight Show" ? I can't think of one acting President that has been on a talk show, when they had other business at hand as Coach K pointed out. It reminds me of "Back to the Future"

[Dr. Emmett Brown is doubting Marty McFly's story about that he is from the future]

Dr. Emmett Brown: Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the United States in 1985?

Marty McFly: Ronald Reagan.

Dr. Emmett Brown: Ronald Reagan? The actor?

[chuckles in disbelief]

Dr. Emmett Brown: Then who's VICE-President? Jerry Lewis?

[rushing out and down a hill toward his laboratory]

Dr. Emmett Brown: I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!

Marty McFly: [following Doc] Whoa! Wait! Doc!

Dr. Emmett Brown: And Jack Benny is Secretary of the Treasury.

Marty McFly: [outside the lab door] Doc, you gotta listen to me.

Dr. Emmett Brown: [opens the door to the lab] I've had enough practical jokes for one evening. Good night, Future Boy!

[closes the door leaving Marty outside]

The President elect is only seeking his claim to fame. He's shining for some, but ... I've called people retarded and riding the short bus, and I've made my faux pas when it's come to making a joke. The thing is I'm not the President of the United States of America. This is a supposedly educated man, that has two degrees, he should know to bide his tongue when he's making statements.

BHO is going to make G.W. Bush look like a genius. I realize that I say some pretty stupid things on SDC. I consider most of you family, but to do this on national televison. I understand that some are born to this world with mental and physical deformities, but this might be a Freudian Slip for BHO. He's not a genius afterall, he was an underachiever that had some help from his friends. That's the way I see it.

From a person that speaks from experience.

Governor Sarah Palin responded to remarks made last night by President Obama related to the Special Olympics on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno:

“I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics,” Governor Palin said. “This was a degrading remark about our world’s most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world.

“These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will. By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them. I hope President Obama’s comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community.”

The road walked by a family with a Downs Syndrome child is not an easy one, but I would not trade one moment I shared with my aunt. She loved us with an unconditional love and found joy in most every moment. Her childlike curiosity appealed to my sense of wonder.... She made me a better, kinder person.

People can say that Obama didn't mean it - excuse it by saying it was just a slip of the tongue ... No, it wasn't. He dismisses these people - he has a belief that they are less than he is - they are inferior .... He's an idiot.

The first insult was the fact that a seated president would go on late night talk shows.

obama does not have the first clue as to what it takes to be a true leader. I don't care who would make a remark like he did, it was wrong. Isn't it funny how fast the wagons were circled to protect our dear leader.

teleprompter.jpg

The first insult was the fact that a seated president would go on late night talk shows.

I'm still waiting for this skidplate to fly to the Middle East and show our troops that he supports them. <_<

I don't see Obama's remarks as an insult to the handicapped. He was poking fun at himself, maybe at the expense of handicap, but he wasn't making fun of handicapped people.

The only problem I have is with the media. They would have crucified, tarred and feathered, kaned and set fire to Bush if he had said the same thing. The media accepts Obama's explanation with an "oh okay, we know you weren't being a bad boy" response. The good old double standard.