You are a starting QB for a big 12 school, so what would you do on spring break?

Well if you are Colt McCoy you go to Peru on a mission trip. It is like he is living for somthing bigger and better then himself.

LONGHORN FOOTBALL

McCoy will make a return trip to Peru for spring break

The UT quarterback will be doing his second mission to the Amazon.

By Suzanne Halliburton

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Colt McCoy spent his last spring break eating bowls and bowls of rice, swatting away mosquitos, riding in buses on slippery, unpaved roads and camping out in miserable 90- to 100-degree heat in Peru near the Amazon River.

The Texas quarterback loved it so much he's heading back this Saturday for a week-long mission trip. He'll serve as a camp counselor to the young children of farmers and fishermen who live in the remote Peruvian villages along the Amazon.

He'll teach them how to throw and catch a football by day, then tell them Bible stories at night.

"They have so much less than we do," McCoy said Monday. "But they are so much more thankful for what they have than we are. Every time I go out there I get so much more in return."

The trip calls for McCoy to fly to Lima, then travel to Iquitos, a city in the heart of the Amazon basin.

McCoy, who also is contemplating a mission trip to Africa, already received his shots for malaria and hepatitis. This trip he has vowed not to swim in the Amazon or lose weight — he dropped 10 pounds a year ago. So he's packing some American food to complement the rice he'll be eating at every meal.

The only part of last year's trip he complained about was the rice.

"I've had maybe one grain since then," he said.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope it goes as well as last year, notice hes taking better care of himself this time. Kids got guts, anything could happen up there. Glad to see people ( and longhorns) helping the world learn the word of God, and not thinking of themselves constantly.

Kudos to McCoy for being the anti-Michael Vick.

See, this is why I can't hate Colt McCoy, as much as I want to.

Same thing with Tim Tebow. You want to hate the guy because he's good, but you can't.

Hopefully some of this rubs off on Gilbert...:)

Glad he had to tell the press before he left.

I'm sure he questioned about what he was going to do over spring break after a practice down in Austin and he told them he'd be going back to Peru. I don't think Colt is the type of person who wants to put himself up on a pedestal and scream "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!"

It seems Colt McCoy is a wonderful person and we all know he's a Christian just from listening to his post game interviews. He always praises God first when being interviewed after games, and he praises his teammates and coaches second. I believe he is genuine when making those comments too.

I hate it when someone is being patted on the back by the media or public in general, and some people want to bring them down. I mean, I get tired of the media love for Tim Tebow, but that doesn't make me dislike him. I think he's a good boy too, and deserves every bit of praise he gets. I admire both McCoy and Tebow for their off-field lives more than their on-field heroics.

Glad he had to tell the press before he left.

Are you serious? I am sure the media in Austin keeps up with Colt on a level that his trip to Peru was common knowledge without him calling and making a statement. Jiminie Christmas!!

Catluv your getting my point. It just bothers me when lots of people are doing the same thing and he gets reported on it. It could of been real easy for him to keep this a secret if he wanted to. It's good he is doing this and I respect him for that.

Catluv your getting my point. It just bothers me when lots of people are doing the same thing and he gets reported on it. It could of been real easy for him to keep this a secret if he wanted to. It's good he is doing this and I respect him for that.

Really? When's the last time you went on a mission trip to a third world country.......? That's what I thought.

Is this something Colts has does a lot of or just started doing it. I guess it really doesn't matter. I was not implying he was trying to copy Tebow or anything. I'm sure he is sincere in his efforts and is providing relief to the multitudes of those suffering and underserved and who are in need of help the most. Great act of unselfishness.

Colt is a "public figure" that is why he gets press time while doing the same thing that many others do without mention. As a "public figure" he is held to a different accountability, right or wrong. As a "public figure" if you err then you would get press about it irregardless if you wanted it or not. There is enough of that that goes around. So it is refreshing to report on a positive role model doing something worthy. Humility is a key aspect of Christianity. Colt's actions reflects this characteristic.

Yeah, I'm sure he went right on down to the news station. Reporters never approach the starting quarterback of the Texas Longhorns.....idiot. :thumbdown:

Haha your right the news reporters just got a hunch and went ahead reported it.

Haha your right the news reporters just got a hunch and went ahead reported it.

Yeah, it's terrible to hear about a college athlete doing something other than getting arrested, heaven forbid them do something that actually helps others. I can't stand UT and cheer against them every time they play. But maybe some kid sees the story about Tebow and Colt going on mission trips when they could be out partying and the kid changes the way he lives his life and starts volunteering and being a good person. Or would you like them to turn out like Rae Carruth?

I bet he called the press right after this happened too. :rolleyes:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...e.64c6c682.html

UT QB McCoy helps seizure victim

10:56 AM CDT on Thursday, June 8, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Texas football fans Ken and Patina Herrington now hope that redshirt freshman Colt McCoy wins the starting quarterback job this fall after he helped saved Ken's life on Memorial Day.

Around 9 p.m. May 29, Patina Herrington said the neighbor's chocolate Labrador, Annibell, was barking and scratching at the back door of her home in Graham, Texas. Herrington said she knew something was wrong, grabbed a flashlight and headed outside.

It was almost pitch-dark, but Herrington said she could hear her husband having a seizure on a small dock that extended into a privately owned lake. So Patina ran down to the dock and made sure her husband wouldn't fall in and drown.

Ken Herrington had three brain surgeries 11 ½ years ago. He had gotten a foot infection, Patina said, and was susceptible to seizures.

"I knew I couldn't leave him," Patina Herrington said, "so I just started yelling for help."

Colt McCoy and his father, Brad, were on the other side of the lake.

"My wife is the one that first heard a noise, and she said, 'You guys need to come out here because somebody's in trouble,' " Brad McCoy said.

The two swam about 300 yards to the other side, and Colt even lost his shoes in the water. Neighbors called 9-1-1, but McCoy put on his father's shoes and raced up a steep, rocky incline to flag down emergency rescue crews.

Medical personnel administered IVs on the dock, and Ken Herrington spent the next week at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth. He returned home Sunday and was resting comfortably.

Patina Herrington is convinced that without Colt and Brad McCoy's help, things might have turned out differently. That's why she'll be rooting for McCoy, 19, this fall as UT searches for Vince Young's replacement.

"It was just a true hero story of how everybody came together and saved a life," Patina Herrington said.

Yeah, it's terrible to hear about a college athlete doing something other than getting arrested, heaven forbid them do something that actually helps others. I can't stand UT and cheer against them every time they play. But maybe some kid sees the story about Tebow and Colt going on mission trips when they could be out partying and the kid changes the way he lives his life and starts volunteering and being a good person. Or would you like them to turn out like Rae Carruth?

I bet he called the press right after this happened too. :rolleyes:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...e.64c6c682.html

UT QB McCoy helps seizure victim

10:56 AM CDT on Thursday, June 8, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Texas football fans Ken and Patina Herrington now hope that redshirt freshman Colt McCoy wins the starting quarterback job this fall after he helped saved Ken's life on Memorial Day.

Around 9 p.m. May 29, Patina Herrington said the neighbor's chocolate Labrador, Annibell, was barking and scratching at the back door of her home in Graham, Texas. Herrington said she knew something was wrong, grabbed a flashlight and headed outside.

It was almost pitch-dark, but Herrington said she could hear her husband having a seizure on a small dock that extended into a privately owned lake. So Patina ran down to the dock and made sure her husband wouldn't fall in and drown.

Ken Herrington had three brain surgeries 11 ½ years ago. He had gotten a foot infection, Patina said, and was susceptible to seizures.

"I knew I couldn't leave him," Patina Herrington said, "so I just started yelling for help."

Colt McCoy and his father, Brad, were on the other side of the lake.

"My wife is the one that first heard a noise, and she said, 'You guys need to come out here because somebody's in trouble,' " Brad McCoy said.

The two swam about 300 yards to the other side, and Colt even lost his shoes in the water. Neighbors called 9-1-1, but McCoy put on his father's shoes and raced up a steep, rocky incline to flag down emergency rescue crews.

Medical personnel administered IVs on the dock, and Ken Herrington spent the next week at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth. He returned home Sunday and was resting comfortably.

Patina Herrington is convinced that without Colt and Brad McCoy's help, things might have turned out differently. That's why she'll be rooting for McCoy, 19, this fall as UT searches for Vince Young's replacement.

"It was just a true hero story of how everybody came together and saved a life," Patina Herrington said.

He probably told the press before he jumped in the water. :rolleyes:

Once again yall are missing the point. I've already stated I respect what he is doing. I just don't see why your giving him praise for something plenty of other people do.

What percentage of college/pro athletes do the same sort of things? There's your answer.

Like I thought, you missed the point.

It doesn't make it better because he is a football player. First of all, he's a public figure. He's the most popular person in Austin, Texas. The media watches his every move. He doesn't call the media to tell them what he's doing -- it's against NCAA rules anyway.

It makes it newsworthy because he's a public figure and it is extremely rare to see college or professional athletes do the same sort of thing.