800 meter Time

donnie1979

Atlanta sophomore Kane Boroski has run 1:58.10 this spring. This kid has potential to be very special if he keeps his head straight. He's got a website that indicates he has a big ego. Either that, or it's his parents. I saw him at Atlanta track meet and he was wearing tee shirt advertising his website, while other Atlanta kids had Atlanta tee shirts on. Maybe it's just me, but that bothers me.

Wow, that is an impressive time. I agree on the ego part. Although I would have to mark my sophomore year as the one I did the silliest or dumbest stuff in. I guess my freshman year was getting used to the new turf of HS, and finally by my Junior year a "little" common sense soaked in.

Perhaps he will tone it down next year, but then again I never was that fast.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question along these lines, and since we're talking 800m, let's stick with that. And buckeye, since you know your junior time in the event, I'm thinking you probably have some idea of how fast you ran the event at all stages of your track career.

What was your Freshman time? In other words, how much improvement did you see annually? How much faster can a Freshman who runs X time in the event expect (thru hard work) to be year by year to his senior year? Do you know your times each year of HS?

Secondly, obviously a lot of running, but are there any specific training methods or race stategies you used that helped you improve your times?

I didn't run track in my freshman year. However, in the 8th grade I was around the 2:20 time frame, as a sophmore my time dropped down to around 2:08, junior year was 2:00 flat and my senior year was a 1:58 Now then, for most of my high school career the coaches didn't know where they wanted to put me. At times I was running the 800 and the mile, at other times I was running the 800 and the mile relay. My problem was the fact that I didn't have true track coaches, we were being coached by football coaches. So it was no shock to me that my times didn't get better until after I graduated from Gilmer.

Now then, about training methods and race strategies. The idea is to get mentally tougher. Most 800 meter runners want to wait until the last possible second to start their "kick", so you have to train harder to start your kick earlier, and to maintain it longer. Hill work is a must, running down a hill helps to increase your stride and to help with leg turn over. That was a trick that I learned from Randy Spears...

Yes, Minta's dad.

If Randy is still coaching athletes, then my best advice is to seek him out and pluck knowledge from him. Between Randy Spears and my former coach in Kansas David Fritz, I was truly blessed with those two who had a remarkable sense of what to do as runners. Also, find yourself a secluded area away from traffic, preferably in an area where there isn't many people as distractions and do this one simple workout. Find a dirt road where there are miles and miles of telephone poles, then do speed play. The speed play consists of a light jog from the first set pole to the next, then stride the next set of poles, follow that my 3/4 speed to the next set of poles.

Then, you work your way back down.

When you can work your way up to 8 miles of doing this, then you will see just how much better that you will become.

Of course, miles and miles of running also.

Was the kid from Canton Greg Brown? I am trying to remember what year Betts ran. 2:10 is slooow.

800 is easliy a tougher race. I was a miler and two miler and I hated running the 800.

Yes, his name was Greg Brown. I remember in 1983 where he did a television interview with a Longview television station and he claimed he would beat the field by 5 seconds...or so my "coach" told me. I remember saying to myself no way....

Yep, that was exactly what he did. That guy was good. But yes Betts ran in 1983 as well, both were seniors. I remember meeting Betts again in Louisiana during an indoor meet about 4 or 5 years later. Both were tremendous runners. By the way Soccer, you wouldn't happen to know what happened to Greg?

Atlanta sophomore Kane Boroski has run 1:58.10 this spring. This kid has potential to be very special if he keeps his head straight. He's got a website that indicates he has a big ego. Either that, or it's his parents. I saw him at Atlanta track meet and he was wearing tee shirt advertising his website, while other Atlanta kids had Atlanta tee shirts on. Maybe it's just me, but that bothers me.

That is an excellent time for a sophmore. Yes, if he keeps his head on straight then he could definitely be something special.

Hey Buckeyefan1984, how is it going? Thanks for the kind words, I just wished you had been in school when I coached at Gilmer. Do you remember Roland Chambers? He was running the 400 in about 50 or 51 in a district that had about four guys who could break 50. I talked him into running the 800 meters two weeks before district, we started doing hills and trying to build his endurance and strength in two weeks. To make a long story short he ran 2:01 at district, 1:57 at regionals, and 1:54 at state. This kid had all the intangibles: tough, fast, competitor. I see a lot of guys who think they are 400 meter runners that need to run the 800. Bullard has a guy who runs 51 that is going to run the 800 next year, watch out this kid has all the intangibles. Are you still running buckeyefan?

All I know is that he ran at SFA and that was it.....never heard from him again. There was a kid out of Poyner named Randy Meador (sp) and he also went to SFA. They both kept trying to get me to go there and I wish I had now but that is water under the bridge.

I knew Meador was teaching at Jacksonville but that was 5 years ago. You had Cooper at Lindale that went to Arkansas and I was the white boy with all the hair from "The House". I could run with Brown in the mile but not the 800. I ran a 4:28 and 9:42 but that was moons ago. I coached CC at House for awhile and the last 4 years have been at P-town.

Hey Buckeyefan1984, how is it going? Thanks for the kind words, I just wished you had been in school when I coached at Gilmer. Do you remember Roland Chambers? He was running the 400 in about 50 or 51 in a district that had about four guys who could break 50. I talked him into running the 800 meters two weeks before district, we started doing hills and trying to build his endurance and strength in two weeks. To make a long story short he ran 2:01 at district, 1:57 at regionals, and 1:54 at state. This kid had all the intangibles: tough, fast, competitor. I see a lot of guys who think they are 400 meter runners that need to run the 800. Bullard has a guy who runs 51 that is going to run the 800 next year, watch out this kid has all the intangibles. Are you still running buckeyefan?

Actually, I wish that you had been coaching when I was running for Gilmer. I know for a fact that I would have had better times and would have been better prepared for running after high school. As far as I was concerned, the times that I ran after high school was contributed to you and Coach Fritz, and no one else.

I stopped running competively along time ago. Work began to take up way too much time and made it virtually impossible to train like I would have wanted. I am thinking about starting back up with recreational running, but nothing like I was doing back in 1990. I remember that hill on the Cherokee Trace route like it was yesterday....

I would recommend that bad boy to "anyone" who wants to seriously train for the 800 meters. By the way, I don't remember if I ever said this to you or not....

But, thank you from the bottom of my heart. The time that you spent helping me with my training made me the runner that I wanted to be, and helped me tremendously in life. If you aren't flooded with PM's from area runners begging for your help, then there is definitely something wrong with East Texas.

Again, thank you.

All I know is that he ran at SFA and that was it.....never heard from him again. There was a kid out of Poyner named Randy Meador (sp) and he also went to SFA. They both kept trying to get me to go there and I wish I had now but that is water under the bridge.

I knew Meador was teaching at Jacksonville but that was 5 years ago. You had Cooper at Lindale that went to Arkansas and I was the white boy with all the hair from "The House". I could run with Brown in the mile but not the 800. I ran a 4:28 and 9:42 but that was moons ago. I coached CC at House for awhile and the last 4 years have been at P-town.

I think I know who you are now. You were running in the early 80's and your senior year was either 1982 or 1983? If so, I definitely know who you are and can clearly say that you were an awesome runner from Whitehouse. I remember watching you as well as Richard Cooper from Lindale. That guy was so good that he almost qualified for the 2 mile, 1 mile, AND 800 meters in district.

You are correct, not too many people could hang with Greg in the 800. But when it came to the mile and 2 mile, there was no one better than you or Richard Cooper in the area. It was the first time that I had ever seen almost the entire field lapped by two runners in the mile and 2 mile....

Did you get recruited to Arkansas as well? The reason why I ask is because alot of East Texas runners back in the 80's were recruited by Coach McDonnel.

I graduated in '83 and was being recruited by SMU going into my senior year. I hooked up with a running coach out of Longview after my junior year and was running 60 to 70 miles per week. House didn't have CC and didn't want to lose a coach for their Saturday morning film session (no comment). No CC and I ended up getting hurt and never really regained my total potential during track season. Went to school, enjoyed college life and been coaching for 18 years.

During the early 80's was prime running in this area. There was another guy before me at the HOUSE (Edward Anderson) and he ran a 4:18 mile. He got 2nd at state in the mile 3 years in a row and each year got beat by someone different. Talk about tough luck!

East Texas was stacked with distance runners then and was being recruited by big schools back then. White Oak also had a real good runner and I think his name was Doug Atkins? Also a kid out of Hallsville first name Tommy and he could fly in the 800 and mile.

Where is the Lynn kid going out of White Oak?

I graduated in '83 and was being recruited by SMU going into my senior year. I hooked up with a running coach out of Longview after my junior year and was running 60 to 70 miles per week. House didn't have CC and didn't want to lose a coach for their Saturday morning film session (no comment). No CC and I ended up getting hurt and never really regained my total potential during track season. Went to school, enjoyed college life and been coaching for 18 years.

During the early 80's was prime running in this area. There was another guy before me at the HOUSE (Edward Anderson) and he ran a 4:18 mile. He got 2nd at state in the mile 3 years in a row and each year got beat by someone different. Talk about tough luck!

East Texas was stacked with distance runners then and was being recruited by big schools back then. White Oak also had a real good runner and I think his name was Doug Atkins? Also a kid out of Hallsville first name Tommy and he could fly in the 800 and mile.

Where is the Lynn kid going out of White Oak?

I never had the pleasure of talking to you at any of the meets, but it was definitely a pleasure in seeing you run. Your last name starts with an "A", so I definitely remember you. If I'm not mistaken, I think I got to see Edwin run as well...definitely a great runner as well. Doug Atkins was recruited by Coach McDonnel as well, but had some problems and didn't stay...I think that is how I remember it being told to me.

Yes, Tommy Roberts from Hallsville was a beast in the 800 meters. He was running the kind of times that I wanted to run, but just had too much going against me. I would have killed to have had some great distance coaches at Gilmer, but distance running had never been a great commodity until Randy Spears showed up. If I would have been the administrator at Gilmer, I would have given up the farm to keep him...

Was definitely Gilmer's loss.

Sorry to hear about your track career being cut short. You were definitely a talented runner who could have made a tremendous mark on the sport. But at least as a coach, you can give back to the sport by making sure that other talented distance runners get the most out of a God given ability.

The sport can definitely use more coaches just like you.

Thanks buckeye!! I can remember those long days at meets waiting to run and talking to everyone. Surprised our paths didn't cross.

The reason I got into to coaching was just for that reason.....to give kids what I didn't have when I was in school. NO CC COACH because they had to do film for a 3-7 team.......that is what motivated me....God works in mysterious ways. You got the name right, Absalom. I couldn't imagine myself not coaching and being a difference in kids lifes....I am blessed for sure.

Who is the Spears guy? I guess I missed something. Hard to find great CC and Track coaches in this area.

I wonder why there was such a slew of good runners in the early 80's? I have been back in East Texas for 12 years now and there has been a few good TRACK runners but not the quantity of salty runners like in the 80's.

Hey soccerbuff, I am randy spears. Was the coach you ran with Chris Schrader? I used to do 20 mile training runs with him and his crew and Tommy Roberts would come do some 10 milers with us on Sunday mornings. Chris was a mess! I am the goofy guy that runs Ultra marathons, my daughter is Minta who is a freshman at Bullard. I coached XC at Gilmer in the early 90's. I don't know if you remember Blake Crow or Greg Dorsey, but they were running for me at that time. Blake and Greg both ran in the 4:20's for the 1600. I really enjoy watching kids run and compete, there is nothing like it, except maybe watching my kids play basketball. lol

Chris was the guy and he worked for Strohs Beer Company I believe. It was the summer of '82 when I would drive over on Sunday mornings and run with Chris, Tommy and a few other guys......I guess you are telling me you are one of those guys? Small world for sure. It seemed like we ran 14 miles on Sunday and had a little water spot halfway through the run. Chris was a crazy and a great coach. I thought he was from another country.

I am the coach at Palestine now and we ran against Coach Gay and his crew a few times.

I should have put 2 and 2 together with your daughter being Minta.....what an athlete. I was coaching in Killeen most of the '90's and didn't get back until '98 so I missed those boys from Gilmer. I hope I didn't offend anyone. There was just a bunch of us that could run in the early 80's and made all meets awesome. Bullard should be tough in CC next year for sure.

Hey soccerbuff, I am randy spears. Was the coach you ran with Chris Schrader? I used to do 20 mile training runs with him and his crew and Tommy Roberts would come do some 10 milers with us on Sunday mornings. Chris was a mess! I am the goofy guy that runs Ultra marathons, my daughter is Minta who is a freshman at Bullard. I coached XC at Gilmer in the early 90's. I don't know if you remember Blake Crow or Greg Dorsey, but they were running for me at that time. Blake and Greg both ran in the 4:20's for the 1600. I really enjoy watching kids run and compete, there is nothing like it, except maybe watching my kids play basketball. lol

Randy, I wonder what happened to Blake Crow? I remember going out to East Mountain and training with them on occasions and had hoped that both he and Greg went to college to run. Both were good, but I had always looked at Blake to be something very special. Please tell me that their careers continued. By the way, in case you hadn't guessed, I'm Mike Bell...

I can definitely attribute a 4:21 mile to training with you.

Thanks buckeye!! I can remember those long days at meets waiting to run and talking to everyone. Surprised our paths didn't cross.

The reason I got into to coaching was just for that reason.....to give kids what I didn't have when I was in school. NO CC COACH because they had to do film for a 3-7 team.......that is what motivated me....God works in mysterious ways. You got the name right, Absalom. I couldn't imagine myself not coaching and being a difference in kids lifes....I am blessed for sure.

Who is the Spears guy? I guess I missed something. Hard to find great CC and Track coaches in this area.

I wonder why there was such a slew of good runners in the early 80's? I have been back in East Texas for 12 years now and there has been a few good TRACK runners but not the quantity of salty runners like in the 80's.

Our paths never crossed because when you were a senior, I was a sophmore and was in literal awe of you, Edwin Anderson, and Richard Cooper. I wanted to go up and talk to you about running advice, but a somewhat bad experience with Cooper kind of killed that. I don't know if it was because he was shy or just didn't know what to say, but I went up to him and asked about his running...well, again I can only assume it was because he was either shy or didn't know what to say. Being from Gilmer during those years, not too many people liked us (or so it seemed).

Now then about Randy Spears. He was a very no nonsense guy who knew what he was doing. Outside of David Fritz (my college coach in Kansas), Randy helped me tremendously. Natural ability could only carry me so far, and it was Randy Spears and David Fritz who brought out the best in me. I remember being in the Longview Running Club and watching Randy literally destroy the field...

week in and week out.

So when I heard that he was helping runners in the area, it was a no-brainer to go to him for help. Trust me, between the coaches in Gilmer back in the 80's and Randy Spears, the difference was night and day. Like I said, I found it shocking that Gilmer let him get away. As far as I'm concerned, it would be like letting Coach Traylor of Gilmer get away.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your kind words. I do remember you having great foot speed and when we increased your mileage and got you on the hills your times really improved. You are right, I am a no nonsense guy when it comes to training and competing, my philosophy is to be very honest and tell you what you need to do to get better. One of the reasons I am not coaching today is because I don't want to play the political games with parents and AD's.

Blake Crow was a Captain in the Air Force (special forces); This guy was probably one of the most disciplined kids that I ever coached. I heard he maybe working for the FBI now, but not sure.

Greg Dorsey was a Captain in the Army; Just one tough dude and could handle the truth. lol

Clay Langford was a Captain in the United States Marine Corps; Nobody messed with Clay, he was a golden gloves boxing champion and could kick anyone's (gluteus maximus)

Maybe some of you guys are getting a picture of how the discipline that is involved in running carries over to other areas of your life. It is really neat to hear from people like Mike Bell and others that I have had the privilege to coach or help along the way.

I still laugh about the coach at Gilmer who told these guys that they couldn't dress in the dressing rooms, because it was for real athlete's, not wimpy runners. After this incident we called ourselves the "WIMP" squad and worked our tails off. I might add that this coach is no longer at Gilmer and they have some great coaches there now.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your kind words. I do remember you having great foot speed and when we increased your mileage and got you on the hills your times really improved. You are right, I am a no nonsense guy when it comes to training and competing, my philosophy is to be very honest and tell you what you need to do to get better. One of the reasons I am not coaching today is because I don't want to play the political games with parents and AD's.

Blake Crow was a Captain in the Air Force (special forces); This guy was probably one of the most disciplined kids that I ever coached. I heard he maybe working for the FBI now, but not sure.

Greg Dorsey was a Captain in the Army; Just one tough dude and could handle the truth. lol

Clay Langford was a Captain in the United States Marine Corps; Nobody messed with Clay, he was a golden gloves boxing champion and could kick anyone's (gluteus maximus)

Maybe some of you guys are getting a picture of how the discipline that is involved in running carries over to other areas of your life. It is really neat to hear from people like Mike Bell and others that I have had the privilege to coach or help along the way.

I still laugh about the coach at Gilmer who told these guys that they couldn't dress in the dressing rooms, because it was for real athlete's, not wimpy runners. After this incident we called ourselves the "WIMP" squad and worked our tails off. I might add that this coach is no longer at Gilmer and they have some great coaches there now.

I'm glad to hear about Blake and Greg's success in the military. Yes, I agree about Blake's discipline because I saw it each and every day that we worked out together. He was always dedicated, and was always interested in someone's input on his running. But of course, we can all attribute that to being able to workout with a possitive influence such as yourself.

I really wish that I could remember Clay Langford, but for some reason, his name escapes me. I guess he came along after I left to go into the military myself. It's been a long time since I've been to Gilmer and it seems that most of the press goes to the football team (and rightfully so), so maybe that is the reason why I don't remember him. But yes, discipline is what every runner needs and without it, success will never be there.

By the way, do you still run?

Yes, I still run a little. I'm starting to train and hopefully run a 100 miler in October. I am recovering from a pretty bad mountain bike wreck, but I should be ready.

I'm glad to hear that you're still running, that means some of the young and inexperienced runners in the area can see you in action and pick your brain like we were able to.

Sorry to hear about the mountain bike incident, but I have no doubt about you being ready by October. So good luck and and keep us posted on how the training is coming along.