800 meter Time

donnie1979

Yes, I still run a little. I'm starting to train and hopefully run a 100 miler in October. I am recovering from a pretty bad mountain bike wreck, but I should be ready.

If you need a running buddy I know where you can find one:) I'm good for at least 20......lol I miss those runs in Tyler State Park!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need a running buddy I know where you can find one:) I'm good for at least 20......lol I miss those runs in Tyler State Park!!

Hey mike, sd2 is a gilmer girl, she now coaches track and cross country and she ran for Harding University who has a very strong program. When I get up to 20 miles I will call you, you are right there is no place like the trails at Tyler State Park to get you ready. Hope your girls make it to state, you have done a great job and I am very proud of you. good luck.

I didn't run track in my freshman year. However, in the 8th grade I was around the 2:20 time frame, as a sophmore my time dropped down to around 2:08, junior year was 2:00 flat and my senior year was a 1:58 Now then, for most of my high school career the coaches didn't know where they wanted to put me. At times I was running the 800 and the mile, at other times I was running the 800 and the mile relay. My problem was the fact that I didn't have true track coaches, we were being coached by football coaches. So it was no shock to me that my times didn't get better until after I graduated from Gilmer.

Now then, about training methods and race strategies. The idea is to get mentally tougher. Most 800 meter runners want to wait until the last possible second to start their "kick", so you have to train harder to start your kick earlier, and to maintain it longer. Hill work is a must, running down a hill helps to increase your stride and to help with leg turn over. That was a trick that I learned from Randy Spears...

Yes, Minta's dad.

If Randy is still coaching athletes, then my best advice is to seek him out and pluck knowledge from him. Between Randy Spears and my former coach in Kansas David Fritz, I was truly blessed with those two who had a remarkable sense of what to do as runners. Also, find yourself a secluded area away from traffic, preferably in an area where there isn't many people as distractions and do this one simple workout. Find a dirt road where there are miles and miles of telephone poles, then do speed play. The speed play consists of a light jog from the first set pole to the next, then stride the next set of poles, follow that my 3/4 speed to the next set of poles.

Then, you work your way back down.

When you can work your way up to 8 miles of doing this, then you will see just how much better that you will become.

Of course, miles and miles of running also.

Thanks!