New Coaching Openings

ScletoUno

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring Hill is getting a soccer program!

I hadn't heard this. Can anyone else confirm? Boys and girls teams? Will they start play this upcoming season? I recall the school fielding a proposal to start soccer recently, but never knew how it came out.

I have thought for many years that Spring Hill should have soccer. I would expect them to be fairly competitive right away. If true, this is great for the parents, students and others who have campaigned for it over the years and for the students coming up who will get to participate. There are many former Spring Hill students who would have really enjoyed this opportunity.

Spring Hill did approve soccer, both a boys and girls program. There is a catch, it will be High School club soccer. What that basically means is that for 1-3 years they will play a non-district JV schedule and a tournament or two at the JV level. Soccer will not have a class period and will practice after school probably under the direction of a parent.

At least its a start, The AD and softball coach spoke against having a soccer program. Hopefully, in time, they will get on the bandwagon.

Spring Hill did approve soccer, both a boys and girls program. There is a catch, it will be High School club soccer. What that basically means is that for 1-3 years they will play a non-district JV schedule and a tournament or two at the JV level. Soccer will not have a class period and will practice after school probably under the direction of a parent.

At least its a start, The AD and softball coach spoke against having a soccer program. Hopefully, in time, they will get on the bandwagon.

I would think there would be issues with having a parent coach the team even if they are playing a JV schedule. UIL states you must be a school employee (doesn't specify in what capacity), a student teacher, or a 20 year retired coach. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong due to their situation but that's in the manual. Doesn't make any sense to me

Why wouldn't they play a JV schedule this year and be put in a district for next years realignment (2010-2011)?

I'm curious, what did the AD and softball coach say when they spoke out? The softball coach....REALLY?

I would think there would be issues with having a parent coach the team even if they are playing a JV schedule. UIL states you must be a school employee (doesn't specify in what capacity), a student teacher, or a 20 year retired coach. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong due to their situation but that's in the manual. Doesn't make any sense to me

Why wouldn't they play a JV schedule this year and be put in a district for next years realignment (2010-2011)?

I'm curious, what did the AD and softball coach say when they spoke out? The softball coach....REALLY?

Since they are a "club" sport, they don't have to follow UIL guidelines. Also, the coach isn't paid. Alot of smaller schools that start a soccer program do it this way. They get started as a club sport and see how it works before they petiton to the UIL to be placed in a district.

The coaches spoke out against having soccer because they fear it will take athletes out of the core sports, football, softball, etc. Some coaches ( I don't know if it applies in this case) don't think soccer is a real sport.

I believe Chapel Hill is the only scool in 17-3A that fields soccer teams.

In 18-3A, Center, Diboll and I believe Jasper all have soccer programs.

I doubt soccer would take any boys out of the Spring Hill football program; maybe softball because it seems to be at the top level in either softball or soccer an athlete almost has to be dedicated to one particular sport and get into the club/select programs.

I believe Chapel Hill is the only scool in 17-3A that fields soccer teams.

In 18-3A, Center, Diboll and I believe Jasper all have soccer programs.

I doubt soccer would take any boys out of the Spring Hill football program; maybe softball because it seems to be at the top level in either softball or soccer an athlete almost has to be dedicated to one particular sport and get into the club/select programs.

The UIL governs varsity sports and allows districts to govern subvarsity sports under UIL guidelines. Since Spring Hill will not have varsity soccer, they can't be placed in a district. Therefore, regardless of whether they have avolunteer or school employee coaching the team, they are not part of the UIL as they have not petitioned the UIL to participate under the UIL guidelines, rules, etc.

That eliminates the need for a school coach.

If a school does not accept the UIL plan (meaning they applied for varsity participation in said sport), they are outside UIL governance.

BUT, they would still have to follow state law (no pass, no play).

The UIL governs varsity sports and allows districts to govern subvarsity sports under UIL guidelines. Since Spring Hill will not have varsity soccer, they can't be placed in a district. Therefore, regardless of whether they have avolunteer or school employee coaching the team, they are not part of the UIL as they have not petitioned the UIL to participate under the UIL guidelines, rules, etc.

If a school does not accept the UIL plan (meaning they applied for varsity participation in said sport), they are outside UIL governance.

BUT, they would still have to follow state law (no pass, no play).

Thanks to all for the info! Good luck getting things going

Yes, it's a start. This is overdue for Spring Hill.

I understand that coaches are concerned about losing athletes, but giving more kids an opportunity to participate is worth the risk. I see no major reason why boys can't play football and soccer. Some do. Softball is a little different; the seasons overlap quite a bit. Girls trying to play soccer and softball will have some conflicts and might opt to drop one sport or the other.

Hopefully Spring Hill will have a successful season. As mentioned above, it would be nice if they could convince the powers that be to petition for UIL participation before the next realignment.

I am not sure about that statement. I thought every sport at any level of high school had to had a full time school employee coaching the program.

I do think it could cause cause a problem with officials as one team is sanctioned and the other team is unsactioned (ie not following UIL Rules). I think it may impact insurance coverage.

I do hope Spring Hill is able to have a program. Same thing happened at Pittsburg, athletic department did not want soccer (heard girls program was not formed because an existing program did not want the competition). They field a competitive boys team.

I have been surprised Spring Hill does not have a program - given its proximity to youth program in Longview.

I am not sure about that statement. I thought every sport at any level of high school had to had a full time school employee coaching the program.

I do think it could cause cause a problem with officials as one team is sanctioned and the other team is unsactioned (ie not following UIL Rules). I think it may impact insurance coverage.

I do hope Spring Hill is able to have a program. Same thing happened at Pittsburg, athletic department did not want soccer (heard girls program was not formed because an existing program did not want the competition). They field a competitive boys team.

I have been surprised Spring Hill does not have a program - given its proximity to youth program in Longview.

I thought the same thing border but Dual has had enough contact with the UIL with his TASCO position that I'm sure he's in the right.

The AD is 1 thing but how can a softball coach speak out against kids getting to play their sport just because she'll lose kids in hers. Let the kids decide which sport they want to play and you coach the ones that CHOOSE to come out to yours. That's bad, really bad.

Football soccer is not an issue. I'm at a 3A and our boys team has roughly 10 guys that come out from football. That's not a big offseason loss for football. My guess is that they would lose more to baseball.

• 3 weeks later...

dualdellortos, I know you have more knowledge than I do, but help me. We agree in Texas that you must be a full-time employee to coach a high school varsity team. Keeps the likes of me from coaching a team - teacher lobby stuff.

In the UIL Junior High Coaches Manual it states:

"L. COACH OR ADULT SUPERVISOR. No student shall represent his or her school at any time in connection with interscholastic competition unless accompanied by a coach or another appointed member of the school faculty. Exception: A non-school employee may serve as the adult supervisor of students when appointed by the administrator in areas where no coaching/directing takes place. These individuals may provide the transportation to and from the activity and be responsible for the supervision of participants."

Why would High School Junior Varsity Rules be any different? Now I disagree with the rule in situations like this where a school does not what to expend monies on a program they are not sure there is a need. Allow volunteers to justify the program.

Am I reading this rule incorrectly?

• 1 month later...

Stupid question. Does anyone know when 3A soccer will have their own district? Spring Hill did start a soccer program. The coaches are husband and wife, and they work for Spring Hill. If 3A doesn't get it's own district this upcoming year, I'm looking forward to see what the new districts look like.

Stupid question. Does anyone know when 3A soccer will have their own district? Spring Hill did start a soccer program. The coaches are husband and wife, and they work for Spring Hill. If 3A doesn't get it's own district this upcoming year, I'm looking forward to see what the new districts look like.

The number 4-6 years came out last year. I can't remember if that came from Cousins at the TASCO clinic or from Bybee after a meeting at the State tournament. I think that's what they told Bybee at state but I could be mixing up my announcements. Either way that is the time frame that came out last year.

The addidtion of more 3A's should just mean that UIL fills the ghost districts in an attempt to have districts around 6. Districts like the Waco area should be split up. The interesting thing about that split is how will they split Midway and University.

• 3 weeks later...