Cowboys Draft

The fact that the Cowboy's official website admits they were trying to trade up for Maclin shows they are already having buyers remorse over the Roy Williams trade. "Never trade your 1st round draft choices" .... unless of course you are trading UP, or for a certified superstar ..... where did I hear that one?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the Cowboy's official website admits they were trying to trade up for Maclin shows they are already having buyers remorse over the Roy Williams trade. "Never trade your 1st round draft choices" .... unless of course you are trading UP, or for a certified superstar ..... where did I hear that one?

ESPN seems to think it's OK when New England does it. We just can't. Bad Cowboys. No soup for you.

Plus, we wouldn't have gotten Demarcus Ware if we hadn't traded out of the first round.

I for one am glad we didn't trade up for Maclin.

all it means is that our other receivers ####! they are awful, why haven't we drafted a receiver, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ESPN seems to think it's OK when New England does it. We just can't. Bad Cowboys. No soup for you.

Plus, we wouldn't have gotten Demarcus Ware if we hadn't traded out of the first round.

I for one am glad we didn't trade up for Maclin.

But you see New England has a history of knowing what they are doing and drafting successfully. That is why Dallas is critizized and New England is not.

Exile, do you know who New England has left from the last two drafts they've had? Two guys. Two whole guys are left; Jerod Mayo, and Merriweather. Merriweather has been such a disappointment, that I have no doubt Patrick Chung will take his spot immediately.

Everyone else they've drafted is cut. Dallas has run circles around NE for the last couple years has far has drafts go.

Exile, do you know who New England has left from the last two drafts they've had? Two guys. Two whole guys are left; Jerod Mayo, and Merriweather. Merriweather has been such a disappointment, that I have no doubt Patrick Chung will take his spot immediately.

Everyone else they've drafted is cut. Dallas has run circles around NE for the last couple years has far has drafts go.

That is because New England does not give many spots to rookies, they give those to veteran role players. They already know which players will be able to play for them and which won't.

Don't question the Belichek.

That is because New England does not give many spots to rookies, they give those to veteran role players. They already know which players will be able to play for them and which won't.

New England doesn't draft very well. Just pay attention to who has made the team recently. Veteran players do not mean they are good players. Your statement about Dallas is very uneducated. If you pay attention I'll tell you slowly...... Dallas has done very well in the draft the last few seasons. We have solid WR's, so there was no need to go #### and try to sign a high draft pick that would only be on the bench right now.

I do wish we had drafted more Offensive linemen to help build our depth there. That seemed to be our weakest link.

NE does build around veterans that are tossaways from other teams, but they also drafted players in bulk and built their team that way going back to Parcells' tenure. That doesn't take away that their last few seasons drafting have been unmitigated disasters and their defense has been deteriorating since before their SB visit.

Belichick might be better off if he went back to listening in to teams' wireless coms.

As a true Dallas Cowboys fan, I can tell you what will happen. If the team is successfull this season, everyone will say that the draft was good and if the Cowboys miss the playoff or even go to the Super-Bowl and lose, the draft will be called a bust.

You know "DirtyBird".... if Dallas does win and goes deep into playoffs or win Super-Bowl then it won't be because Dallas did good or had good draft. It'll be because everyone else was down this year and Dallas would never be given credit for having a good team.

Personally I back Dallas and JJ. There is not just one right formula for winning. It's Jerry's team and we need to let him do what he wants. He is spending lots of money and there is some luck involved in winning.

You know "DirtyBird".... if Dallas does win and goes deep into playoffs or win Super-Bowl then it won't be because Dallas did good or had good draft. It'll be because everyone else was down this year and Dallas would never be given credit for having a good team.

Personally I back Dallas and JJ. There is not just one right formula for winning. It's Jerry's team and we need to let him do what he wants. He is spending lots of money and there is some luck involved in winning.

Well said there space golfer

As a true Dallas Cowboys fan, I can tell you what will happen. If the team is successfull this season, everyone will say that the draft was good and if the Cowboys miss the playoff or even go to the Super-Bowl and lose, the draft will be called a bust.

I used to think that you couldn't call a draft a bust until 5 years down the road. I have to call a spade a spade, this was a stinker. Most are giving the Cowboys a D, where I went to school a D was an F.

New England doesn't draft very well. Just pay attention to who has made the team recently. Veteran players do not mean they are good players. Your statement about Dallas is very uneducated. If you pay attention I'll tell you slowly...... Dallas has done very well in the draft the last few seasons. We have solid WR's, so there was no need to go #### and try to sign a high draft pick that would only be on the bench right now.

I almost spit Dr Pepper all over my keyboard on that one! LOL

Solid WR's????? .... try to sign a high draft pick that would only be on the bench right now. LOL

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!!!! There are several rookie WR draft choices better than any of the Cowboy receivers!!! :w00t:

What's the use in trying to sign expensive receivers. Dallas has solid ones on the team already. We have other pressing needs to be addressed first. Sign Ware first! Solidify the offensive line by adding more depth. We don't need anymore stars right now. They can win with what they have. Including coaches.

What stars do the have now? LOL

What happened to drafting the best player available when it's your turn? It makes no sense waiting until the later rounds to try and "find" players that other teams have passed over several times. You only get a few chances to draft a difference maker ... you have to go for the gusto and pull the trigger ... or let them go to your opponents. Jerry continues to out smart himself with his "wait til later" draft strategy!!!

Manuel Johnson may be the best receiver they have next year!!! Without Owens there to draw double coverage, it's going to be even tougher for their receivers to get open ... and Roy Williams is no Terrell Owens, talent wise!

Wow really? Kirt, I have a question are you really as dumb as your post indicates? If you were a true football fan you would know that most of the receivers drafted into the NFL become a bust. If you don’t believe me go look up the first two rounds starting from 2004 and see how many are still playing. This is the NFL not D1 football there is a difference, I can almost guarantee you that out of the 5 guys that went in the first round maybe two of them become stars and that is a big maybe. The Cowboys receivers are for the most part young. They are starting to come in to their own. Roy had to learn a new offense and had to get on page with a new quarterback and everyone expects you to come in and have that magic connection, I’m sorry but it just doesn’t work that way. It takes time and takes a lot of reps. For example look at Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison it took them years to be as good as they were together, but they worked at it. But we as Cowboy fans want Roy to come right in and have that with Romo are you serious? A lot of Cowboy fans need to understand how hard it is to win in the NFL and come to the realization that we just became a good team again. It wasn’t too long ago that we were 5-11 and had no talent. Could be worse we could be Raiders fans.

All I keep hearing on these draft grades the talking heads are handing out is how they acknowledge all the trades for veteran players teams made except the Cowboys. Eagles get a high mark because they got a WR in the draft and traded for a veteran left tackle. Bears get a high mark because of Cutler trade, etc... I even heard one say the Saints got better through the draft and got a higher grade for the Shockey trade (who I know didn't do jack but stay injured last year because I had him on my fantasy team unfortunately). Then they ignore the trade the Cowboys made for Roy Williams. Cowboys get a low grade because they didn't draft a wow factor. Roy Williams is their first round pick and wow factor of the draft. UGH!

Will there ever be a level field for the Cowboys when it comes to the talking heads? Probably not, it just gets irritating.

On the topic of drafting the best available player in the 2nd I think the Cowboys did mess up there. They should have taken either OL William Beatty, OL Phil Loadholt or S William Moore. They could have gotten a more polished OL there and didn't receive great value for the pick from the Bills. Better yet take their 2nd round pick and a couple of those late round picks to trade up a spot or two to get C/G Max Unger or WR Mohammed Massaquoi.

BGR.... I totally agree that we should have maybe drafted more OL. We need to add more depth and maybe another starter. I do see what Dallas was trying to do with some of the players we picked. It could work out just fine. There just aren't any glaring holes on the starters. Our special teams was another very big need. With the coaching change there and added players; we did improve there.

I'm to the point I don't care about the media on their analysis. They are the ones that I fault for the T.O. debacle. Sure the coaches could have shut down the locker room. But it was the media that stirred up things that were not really a big deal. Of course we'll mysteriously find another flame to fan this season also. And you know what? ESPN will be the one to mysteriously bring it to light.