High Coaching vs Daddy Ball/Select Ball Coaching

AllAboutBall

A&M teaches linear and you have just now proven that you are just blowing smoke!

I have heard that Texas A&M and Oklahoma are now teaching "Linear Hitting". Well, I just got through watching both teams play each other and guess what? ALL players other than the slappers, are using the ROTATIONAL HITTING style. They are "squishing the bug" with their back foot and rotating their hips into the pitch. I'll stick with Rotational. "If it aint broke dont fix it"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daddy Ball Select Ball High School Ball

Thank you to the txsurveyor for a really nice post. there are awesome people on this forum but from time to time people have taken personal jabs at my husband and or child athlete and yeah ME. I want to get it straight I appreciate ALL coaches even though I have had to experience some bad ones or ones that I thought mainly wanted the season to be over asap.

I have only gone on a few times and posted when I am warned that something was said about my family or the team [which is family too]. I am not one that will sit back and watch it and let people continue to comment on it [sometimes with their multiple acct names!] So I am posting to say..sorry for my rant earlier but it will surely appear again if someone wants to talk smack and hide behind a screen name. I certainly offended StingRay and I guess he did not read the earlier post where I was called a direct personal insult. There is where you start pointing fingers.

We are all about our children and have a very heavy following with our ET Travelers Gold team. The Gold team consisted of all East Texas athletes all starting Varsity...so I still can't imagine what the fuss is all about in naming Gold. We want to play the best of the best...win or lose. Brian works sometimes all day and then practice into the evening then on the phones with college coaches sometimes for an hour! Brian works with athletes that have personal problems and helps them, he has them coming to him for extra help in batting for our varsity, we [brian and I] paid for a player for two years to help her out even when we really didn't have it...we found a way.

So all you readers still on this thread [that should die or fizzle.]...remember when people are specific with names or teams or players...there has been some kind of issue or grudge going on....or jealousy. That is just it in a nutshell. Who would come on these sites and say demeaning words against a committed truly good and loving coach and his team ...and end it with "give me brake"! I still say what is the point? To make them feel good, to make them feel smarter, are they elitist? above everyone else? or here it is BINGO......they have nothing better to do and no life other than stirring the pot.

I am thankful for my ex husband and my husband being very good friends and coaching my daughter [even winning state in league at 12U]. She is so much better a kid to have her two dads stand on the field and coach her. I guess they have been coaching her together for 4 years and it is fun for all.

So this would be the ultimate daddy ball team huh? Not. They are three times harder on her and she is pushed and has to earn her spots.

I just wanted to talk about the original title which they are all good things....high school coaching, daddy ball, and select ball...I will seperate the last two. There is one common denominator in this....dads or moms or teacher/coaches all helping children. Working as a team is the best thing you can teach a kid...discipline and respect...we have some great athletes in East Texas and some awesome coaches!

Hopefully this was not as offensive for you StringRay. Will the real SportJunkie please stand up please stand up...come out Slim Shady!

In my case I say ...Hilda has great coaching all the way through and even her great batting coach whom she loves too! We are all happy.

Van 26-0 ready for playoffs! Go Lady Vandals! Go HILDA! District Champs!

P.S. We need to remember the young ladies that have the desire to play with no dad or mom willing to get involved for various reasons. Where we can ..we need to all help those athletes even if they are not perfect...they can be if worked with.

Hilda once sat the bench too when she was 10 and look at her now...if she was still playing with that team would she have these stats? Her 2 Daddy Ball took her to another level all the while helping the others just as much.

I really wish this would be for everyone else too if you have the same circumstances...such a bonding thing with both dads with her.

You're kidding right? High school softball is the most political bunch of nonsense you'll find. Coaches play favorites, the booster parent's kid always plays, seniors get priority even though far less talented . . . if you don't believe that you're ridiculous.

Maybe the disconnect here is your experience in travel ball. If you are on a local, recreational-level team that travels to Shreveport, Houston, or Dallas to play in select tournaments, then I can understand your perspective about coaches, players, etc. But if you on a top-level, college showcase travel team from Houston or Dallas ares, you would never equate high school softball to that experience, level of coaching, recruiting, etc.

I just don't see it like you do. The girls at our school earn the spot every week. No booster club for us. Coach won't talk to us after the game. He requires a conference regarding any player. And he teaches the game. Do I like him? Do I have a choice? He's the coach, and he's winning both at the game and during practice, also in the classroom. It's a win / win for our school Alma Mater.

I have heard that Texas A&M and Oklahoma are now teaching "Linear Hitting". Well, I just got through watching both teams play each other and guess what? ALL players other than the slappers, are using the ROTATIONAL HITTING style. They are "squishing the bug" with their back foot and rotating their hips into the pitch. I'll stick with Rotational. "If it aint broke dont fix it"

Spent 3 days at A&M this winter. They are not squishing the bug, They teach "Linear". Sorry, but Jo Evans is not teaching Rotational. Call her and ask.

Daddy Ball Select Ball High School Ball

Thank you to the txsurveyor for a really nice post. there are awesome people on this forum but from time to time people have taken personal jabs at my husband and or child athlete and yeah ME. I want to get it straight I appreciate ALL coaches even though I have had to experience some bad ones or ones that I thought mainly wanted the season to be over asap.

I have only gone on a few times and posted when I am warned that something was said about my family or the team [which is family too]. I am not one that will sit back and watch it and let people continue to comment on it [sometimes with their multiple acct names!] So I am posting to say..sorry for my rant earlier but it will surely appear again if someone wants to talk smack and hide behind a screen name. I certainly offended StingRay and I guess he did not read the earlier post where I was called a direct personal insult. There is where you start pointing fingers.

We are all about our children and have a very heavy following with our ET Travelers Gold team. The Gold team consisted of all East Texas athletes all starting Varsity...so I still can't imagine what the fuss is all about in naming Gold. We want to play the best of the best...win or lose. Brian works sometimes all day and then practice into the evening then on the phones with college coaches sometimes for an hour! Brian works with athletes that have personal problems and helps them, he has them coming to him for extra help in batting for our varsity, we [brian and I] paid for a player for two years to help her out even when we really didn't have it...we found a way.

So all you readers still on this thread [that should die or fizzle.]...remember when people are specific with names or teams or players...there has been some kind of issue or grudge going on....or jealousy. That is just it in a nutshell. Who would come on these sites and say demeaning words against a committed truly good and loving coach and his team ...and end it with "give me brake"! I still say what is the point? To make them feel good, to make them feel smarter, are they elitist? above everyone else? or here it is BINGO......they have nothing better to do and no life other than stirring the pot.

I am thankful for my ex husband and my husband being very good friends and coaching my daughter [even winning state in league at 12U]. She is so much better a kid to have her two dads stand on the field and coach her. I guess they have been coaching her together for 4 years and it is fun for all.

So this would be the ultimate daddy ball team huh? Not. They are three times harder on her and she is pushed and has to earn her spots.

I just wanted to talk about the original title which they are all good things....high school coaching, daddy ball, and select ball...I will seperate the last two. There is one common denominator in this....dads or moms or teacher/coaches all helping children. Working as a team is the best thing you can teach a kid...discipline and respect...we have some great athletes in East Texas and some awesome coaches!

Hopefully this was not as offensive for you StringRay. Will the real SportJunkie please stand up please stand up...come out Slim Shady!

In my case I say ...Hilda has great coaching all the way through and even her great batting coach whom she loves too! We are all happy.

Van 26-0 ready for playoffs! Go Lady Vandals! Go HILDA! District Champs!

P.S. We need to remember the young ladies that have the desire to play with no dad or mom willing to get involved for various reasons. Where we can ..we need to all help those athletes even if they are not perfect...they can be if worked with.

Hilda once sat the bench too when she was 10 and look at her now...if she was still playing with that team would she have these stats? Her 2 Daddy Ball took her to another level all the while helping the others just as much.

I really wish this would be for everyone else too if you have the same circumstances...such a bonding thing with both dads with her.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ! LET IT GO !!! GET A LIFE !! PLEASE !

[quote name='momofhilda1'

There is one common denominator in this....dads or moms or teacher/coaches all helping children. Working as a team is the best thing you can teach a kid...discipline and respect...we have some great athletes in East Texas and some awesome coaches!

Just Remember why you started coaching!For me: About 11 yrs ago I started coaching because there were 10 little girls that wanted to play softball. They couldn't throw, catch or hit very well but they were willing to learn. I didn't know very much about softball only that the ball was bigger and the pitcher threw underhand! Together we learned and developed a passion for the game of fast pitch softball. I guess the hardest thing that I have ever done was hold my daughter at home plate after last Tuesday night because she and I came to realize that this was the last game she would ever play. She had a speech written thanking her High School coaches for the last four years lettering in the sport that she loves most, But when she Thanked the best coach she ever had( In her Eyes)Me, we both hugged and cryed along with her mother at home plate. I guess what I am saying is It takes daddy coaches,select coaches and high school coaches to develop all the skills at all ages and all the fundamentals essential for the game we love. After the game my daughter saw the message I wrote on her catchers helmet thanking her for all the wonderful memories of seeing her play for all those years. The only thing is her sister will graduate next season and me and her mother will have to do it all over again! Thank goodness there little sister is in the Third grade!(Catcher Also)WOW( Oh! and there little BROTHER is only six months old) Man after all these years I will have to learn baseball all over again!

Just trying to understand what people are calling "daddy ball" . My definition of "daddy ball" is the father of one of the players ,coaching the team, playing little Susie anywhere she wants reguardless of her inferior abilities. From reading this thread, sounds like everyone is trying to call every dad that coaches a daddyballer. Daddy Balling is usually directly tied to Rec ball. What is the difference between "daddy ball and buddy ball " or booster club president ball , or whatever. I really don't think this exist very much in travel ball because the parents have the option of moving to another team. Maybe it does .I will say that if it weren't for the dads, there would be a whole lot of girls and boys that would never play at all. Just trying to understand the term, seems like every dad is being "profiled " ! lol

There is one common denominator in this....dads or moms or teacher/coaches all helping children. Working as a team is the best thing you can teach a kid...discipline and respect...we have some great athletes in East Texas and some awesome coaches!

Just Remember why you started coaching!For me: About 11 yrs ago I started coaching because there were 10 little girls that wanted to play softball. They couldn't throw, catch or hit very well but they were willing to learn. I didn't know very much about softball only that the ball was bigger and the pitcher threw underhand! Together we learned and developed a passion for the game of fast pitch softball. I guess the hardest thing that I have ever done was hold my daughter at home plate after last Tuesday night because she and I came to realize that this was the last game she would ever play. She had a speech written thanking her High School coaches for the last four years lettering in the sport that she loves most, But when she Thanked the best coach she ever had( In her Eyes)Me, we both hugged and cryed along with her mother at home plate. I guess what I am saying is It takes daddy coaches,select coaches and high school coaches to develop all the skills at all ages and all the fundamentals essential for the game we love. After the game my daughter saw the message I wrote on her catchers helmet thanking her for all the wonderful memories of seeing her play for all those years. The only thing is her sister will graduate next season and me and her mother will have to do it all over again! Thank goodness there little sister is in the Third grade!(Catcher Also)WOW( Oh! and there little BROTHER is only six months old) Man after all these years I will have to learn baseball all over again!

Allsport that is a great post. My daughter is 11 - I have been coaching her since she was 4. I cant think of a better way for it to end - excluding free ride to A&M. I hope you don't mind me borrowing the idea of leaving her a note on her helmet on her last home game when it comes her time to move on.

Spent 3 days at A&M this winter. They are not squishing the bug, They teach "Linear". Sorry, but Jo Evans is not teaching Rotational. Call her and ask.

I am not disputing that you went and what you say is true. But what I saw was her players were not using linear hitting. All the right handed batters on A&M were rotational at the plate. Maybe its an experiment and they have dropped it, I dont know. Take a few minutes, watch some A&M games and check it out yourself. Maybe they are combining the two techniques into one swing, I understand this is a very common practice in the pros right now. Also, I have watched you guys several times this year and think you are doing a good job. You are a HS coach and a Daddy ball coach. I think you of all people see the good on both sides, I think you know there are some bad on both sides also.

I am not disputing that you went and what you say is true. But what I saw was her players were not using linear hitting. All the right handed batters on A&M were rotational at the plate. Maybe its an experiment and they have dropped it, I dont know. Take a few minutes, watch some A&M games and check it out yourself. Maybe they are combining the two techniques into one swing, I understand this is a very common practice in the pros right now. Also, I have watched you guys several times this year and think you are doing a good job. You are a HS coach and a Daddy ball coach. I think you of all people see the good on both sides, I think you know there are some bad on both sides also.

I guess that there is really a misnomer going on in Softball now. As far as TRUE "Linear" goes I don't think anyone is teaching that right now. People equate "Linear" with the old Charley Lau swing, made famous by Pete Rose, Rod Carew, and several others.... it has evolved. The "Linear" being taught by most coaches who teach it now does have alot that looks like "Rotational". It is being taught that instead of Flying the hips open and driving to contact, they want the "belly button" pointing to the the contact point. So basically on any pitch on the inner half of the plate the swing does look like a Rotational swing. It is on the outer half that the difference is noticed. They preach knob-then barrell on all pitches, they preach "staying on the ball", but it is all geared toward having better plate coverage and driving the ball to the opposite field on outside pitches. Not just getting it in play.

I do see the good on both sides of coaching. My intent on here has always been that it takes a "Village" to make a great player.

I guess that there is really a misnomer going on in Softball now. As far as TRUE "Linear" goes I don't think anyone is teaching that right now. People equate "Linear" with the old Charley Lau swing, made famous by Pete Rose, Rod Carew, and several others.... it has evolved. The "Linear" being taught by most coaches who teach it now does have alot that looks like "Rotational". It is being taught that instead of Flying the hips open and driving to contact, they want the "belly button" pointing to the the contact point. So basically on any pitch on the inner half of the plate the swing does look like a Rotational swing. It is on the outer half that the difference is noticed. They preach knob-then barrell on all pitches, they preach "staying on the ball", but it is all geared toward having better plate coverage and driving the ball to the opposite field on outside pitches. Not just getting it in play. . .

Good cover . . . LOL.

coachc45 quote- "I guess that there is really a misnomer going on in Softball now. As far as TRUE "Linear" goes I don't think anyone is teaching that right now. People equate "Linear" with the old Charley Lau swing, made famous by Pete Rose, Rod Carew, and several others.... it has evolved. The "Linear" being taught by most coaches who teach it now does have alot that looks like "Rotational". It is being taught that instead of Flying the hips open and driving to contact, they want the "belly button" pointing to the the contact point. So basically on any pitch on the inner half of the plate the swing does look like a Rotational swing. It is on the outer half that the difference is noticed. They preach knob-then barrell on all pitches, they preach "staying on the ball", but it is all geared toward having better plate coverage and driving the ball to the opposite field on outside pitches. Not just getting it in play.

I do see the good on both sides of coaching. My intent on here has always been that it takes a "Village" to make a great player."

Very good post and excactly correct. Glad this post got back to useful information and away from useless personal attacks.

Excellent post and well put! :notworthy:

Good cover . . . LOL.

Not a good cover.... facts!!! At some point you should try out a few. Instead of coming on here and stating all kinds of bull about what people are or aren't teaching, why don't you spice it up with a few facts of your own.

What you call "Linear" has evolved. As all hitting should. Rotational is good, but it has holes..... i.e. the low outside pitch.... and coaches have evolved.

This post was not a debate of Rotational vs. Linear, never has been..... but if you are going to debate something you might want to know a little bit about both sides before you start debating. I have taught rotational for my entire career, and I recognized the holes in it. I went to people who I know have success and asked them What, Why, and How. What they said made great sense to me. If I would've known that you were the GURU of Rotational I might've come to you. Instead I went to Jo Evans. Sorry.

The post is pretty clear: High Coaching vs Daddy Ball/Select Ball Coaching.

You were very clear -- "Texas A&M teaches linear " . . . your misunderstandings about hitting have been as evident to those on this thread as to your travel ball parents in the stands, I suspect. Next time when you don't understand something, maybe you should consult with a travel ball coach in the stands. I think that was the point of the thread.

The post is pretty clear: High Coaching vs Daddy Ball/Select Ball Coaching.

You were very clear -- "Texas A&M teaches linear " . . . your misunderstandings about hitting have been as evident to those on this thread as to your travel ball parents in the stands, I suspect. Next time when you don't understand something, maybe you should consult with a travel ball coach in the stands. I think that was the point of the thread.

I am still VERY CLEAR... Texas A&M teaches Linear!!!! What is not clear is if you know the difference between the two.

You have over and over proven to be a true BucketHead, and I am sorry to have even engaged you in conversation.

Oh and the parents of my team have been converted as well. Just ask them!!!

I am still VERY CLEAR... Texas A&M teaches Linear!!!! What is not clear is if you know the difference between the two.

You have over and over proven to be a true BucketHead, and I am sorry to have even engaged you in conversation.

Oh and the parents of my team have been converted as well. Just ask them!!!

coachc45 where do you coach at what team?

coachc45 where do you coach at what team?

I enjoyed this thread at the beginnng until it de-evolved into first the "bash" of the word gold associated with a select team and then into the mechanics of hitting.

Isn't the question: Do you want your high school coach instructing your kid or your select/rec coach instructing your kid?

I guess that there is really a misnomer going on in Softball now. As far as TRUE "Linear" goes I don't think anyone is teaching that right now. People equate "Linear" with the old Charley Lau swing, made famous by Pete Rose, Rod Carew, and several others.... it has evolved. The "Linear" being taught by most coaches who teach it now does have alot that looks like "Rotational". It is being taught that instead of Flying the hips open and driving to contact, they want the "belly button" pointing to the the contact point. So basically on any pitch on the inner half of the plate the swing does look like a Rotational swing. It is on the outer half that the difference is noticed. They preach knob-then barrell on all pitches, they preach "staying on the ball", but it is all geared toward having better plate coverage and driving the ball to the opposite field on outside pitches. Not just getting it in play.

Let me get this straight . . You teach "rotational" . . . No one teaches "true" linear anymore. The "linear" being taught at A&M looks like "rotational" except the belly button points to the contact point you say. What makes you think that isn't a "rotational" swing. So "linear" evolved into what . . . a "rotational" swing?"

What makes you think that "rotational" is "flying the hips open and driving to contact." Who taught/told you that? Where did you get that description of what "rotational" hitting is. Is that what you were teaching when you were teaching "rotational?"

If so, you really should find a good travel ball coach and take a hitting lesson . . . oh right, you are a high school coach and can't possibly learn anything from a travel ball coach.. This derailing of this post into a hitting debate thread highlights what is wrong with some high school coaches. You don't even understand what you are teaching or learning at a clinic because you don't have enough of a basic understanding the sport you are being paid to teach . . . LOL!

P.S. For the record, if you actually pick up the telephone and call Coach Evans, she tell you that she doesn't use terms like "rotationall hitting" and "linear hitting." But, she is teaching the mechanics of a textbook rotational swing as popularized by Right View Pro, Mike Esptein, etc.