High Coaching vs Daddy Ball/Select Ball Coaching

AllAboutBall

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckethead you completely don't understand the masters that a HS coach work under. What rules does a travel ball coach operate under? ASA? High School coaches must operate under UIL, NFHS, and their district rules. All these in addition to the ethical obligations of making sure the players are taking care of business in the classroom. When is the last time a travel coach left a player at home because she was late on a research paper?

The whole discussion about who better serves a player is a rhetorical one. Travel ball coaches are concerned with the "player" and the "player" only. HS coaches must, and should, be concerned with not only the "player" but the "person" that player is to become.

I've had the travel ball player that played all the time. She was a great asset our team here. She was all about softball. She got the scholarship, yes, mainly on her summer ball play. What she never grasped was that there is more to college than softball. Couldn't make the grades, gone after one year. But, she sure played good softball!

Name three Div. I programs that have coaches who teach a weight transfer (linear swing) rather than rotational hitting.

Alabama, Oklahoma, Houston. Personally been to clinics with these hitting/head coaches and seen it with my own eyes.

Absolutely no sour grapes, not downgrading anyone, just stating the simple fact that some of these teams are NOT Gold teams. Just happened to name those 2 specific teams because I have seen them both play. You seem to be the one on the defensive. Maybe I hit a nerve ! Look at the records of these teams in Gold competition. Been to both websites and also searched ASA . TT doesn't even have a gold victory posted that I could find. Contender or Pretender. As for signing girls . I'm all for whatever it takes . Although I see these travel coaches getting their faces in the paper with girls that they didn't have anything to do with their development. Just happened to pick up and play with them 1 or 2 times. By the way, I noticed you posted your "real" name ! lol .

Cindy Bass

mother of Jessica Marshburn #1 leading off for the 25-0 Lady Vandals!

wife of coach Brian Bass ET Travelers Gold

As for showing up for pictures in the paper...Brian shows up because he coaches them and loves them! It is one of the happiest days of his life as well as the athlete! If you think they are showing up for publicity you are a fool..it is all about pride, excitement and support.

It is easy to tell who you are anyway...follow your posts and figure out the little puzzle.... it is really sad....

but for the record...your turn Junkie...........post your "real" name.

I could care less who knows my name....everything I say..I would say to your face. This forum would look a great deal different if there was mandatory identification. Actually, it would not exist...LOL

Go Hilda #1 :coolball:

Buckethead you completely don't understand the masters that a HS coach work under. What rules does a travel ball coach operate under? ASA? High School coaches must operate under UIL, NFHS, and their district rules. All these in addition to the ethical obligations of making sure the players are taking care of business in the classroom. When is the last time a travel coach left a player at home because she was late on a research paper?

The whole discussion about who better serves a player is a rhetorical one. Travel ball coaches are concerned with the "player" and the "player" only. HS coaches must, and should, be concerned with not only the "player" but the "person" that player is to become.

I've had the travel ball player that played all the time. She was a great asset our team here. She was all about softball. She got the scholarship, yes, mainly on her summer ball play. What she never grasped was that there is more to college than softball. Couldn't make the grades, gone after one year. But, she sure played good softball!

That's the funniest thing i've ever heard on smoaky.... Late on a paper huh???? HILARIOUS!!!!!! When was the last time YOU left a girl at home for being late on a research paper??? That would be a little unethical wouldn't it, considering the UIL says no pass no play is the rule (every six weeks).....

^^Funny Stuff^^

Let's not even open the can of worms that is coaches in the classroom....

Good examples..... but all swings look the same on the low-inside pitch. Show a picture of a swing on the outside half.

All I know is that first picture is a ground out and the third one is a pop up... Can I be a pro hitting mechanics instructor now? :coolball:

My sister coaches High School softball and I have a number of friends who played travel ball in different sports, so I can see both sides of the issue. I agree that a number of high school coaches do not have the experience that the travel ball coaches have. My sisters started playing softball 22 years ago, but they did not get softball into my high school, until less than 10 years ago. Most schools in East Texas have programs that are less than 15 years old. Many schools started out with softball just being a way to comply with Title IX and not having any emphasis placed on it. Now that schools are changing they are trying to find coaches that know and love the sport, rather than one that will take the chore. High school coaches are trapped with their players though. The coaches that don't have a number of travel ball players will never be able to teach enough in a short season to be able to train the girls to the level that the travel ball players achieve, but the ones with multiple travel ball players have to deal with each parent thinking in their child's best interest while the coach has to look at the teams best interest. In travel ball if a parent is convinced that their child has to play shortstop then they just keep going down the list of teams till they find one that will meet their needs. In High school ball though a coach has the team that the genetic lottery spit out. If they have three shortstops, but no catcher and no centerfielder, then does it make sense to bench the other 2 shortstops and let the best SS play? Or does it make more sense to put the three players on the field where they can help the team the most? In travel ball it would be simple for one of the shortstops to find a different team, but that option is supposed to be missing from HS ball. (Even though we all know that there are players that find creative ways to transfer) In travel ball the coach relies upon the fact that each kid pulling in their own best interest leads the team in the best direction. This works due to the free flow of talent. In HS ball the flow of talent between teams is restricted and the coach has to make decisions that could be contrary to the best interests of any one particular player but helps the team overall. (Sorry, my degree is in Economics and I see most situations from that viewpoint) The best shortstop on a team might also be the best centerfielder, whereas the second best shortstop does not have any other natural position. It would make sense for the coach to then play the best shortstop out of position in centerfield so that they can put the best team overall on the field. The parents of the girl in centerfield can get upset, cry about how everyone knows their daughter is the best shortstop and discuss on this forum how the HS coach is hurting their daughter and they are completely correct. The HS coach can also stand up and completely honestly say they are doing what is best for the team and a team player would be quiet and play the position where the coach puts them. It dpends upon which side of the equation you are sitting on which one you think is right.

James Redmon

PS I think this board would be a much better place if people would start signing with their real names.

That's the funniest thing i've ever heard on smoaky.... Late on a paper huh???? HILARIOUS!!!!!! When was the last time YOU left a girl at home for being late on a research paper??? That would be a little unethical wouldn't it, considering the UIL says no pass no play is the rule (every six weeks).....

^^Funny Stuff^^

Let's not even open the can of worms that is coaches in the classroom....

When is the last time I've left a girl for not taking care of business in the classroom? This year as a matter of fact. Better to get that players attention BEFORE she fails and you lose her for three weeks. Like I posted, I'm as much concerned with the "person" as I am with the "player".

Any more questions on my ethics?

. . . I'm as much concerned with the "person" as I am with the "player".

You truly do not understand the role of a travel ball coach trying to get kids signed to college if you don't think that coaches of travel teams at least 16u and older are not equally concerned about a player who can make the grades in college. The first questions every college coach asks about a possible recruit is what is the player's GPA and SAT score. The second question is whether the player has the work ethic and discipline to be a student athlete.

I'm sure you already knew this since you claim these same college coaches are calling you too. . . but then maybe they aren't calling you which is why you would make such a ridiculous statement.

Please can this post die and rest in peace? Can someone please give it a mercy killing!!!

I don't care if it takes the travel coach, the high school coach or h*ll, even the school janitor to get a girl signed. As long as they all help it doesn't make a difference. All parties play a role in this, and just like a team no one part is better than the other.

Cindy Bass

As for showing up for pictures in the paper...Brian shows up because he coaches them and loves them! It is one of the happiest days of his life as well as the athlete! If you think they are showing up for publicity you are a fool..it is all about pride, excitement and support.

It is easy to tell who you are anyway...follow your posts and figure out the little puzzle.... it is really sad....

I could care less who knows my name....everything I say..I would say to your face. This forum would look a great deal different if there was mandatory identification. Actually, it would not exist...LOL

Go Hilda #1 :coolball:

i totally agree with cindy. say your name junkie! you think your so big and bad, well tell us who you are big boy.

If you know anything about travel ball, you have to be careful when you use the term "Gold" there is basically no criteria for being gold other than a coach classifying his team as Gold. I know of several "Gold" teams that couldn't beat a B team. There are truly Gold teams , and believe me , you can tell the difference from the wanna be's . Several of the Gold teams on the list above fall into each of these catagories. Anderson Express Gold, Travelers ET Gold, give me break .

yeah that's why 6 or 7 of players from et travelers GOLD have gotten signed! you obviously don't know what your talking about. "wanna be's" is what you call it, but is the complete opposite. wanting to compete with gold teams and WINNING is not "wanna be's". so you give me a break and get your stuff straight.

Cindy Bass

Go Hilda #1 :coolball: i totally agree with cindy. say your name junkie! you think your so big and bad, well tell us who you are big boy

Well,Well,Well, after being banished from VTD message boards and every team site in the state, I see someone finally took your muzzle off and let you out of the kennel after 3 years !! Great to have you back. Looks as if your cronies have followed suit . As for telling you who I am ? Apparently you already know . Its so funny that people like you are so biased and single minded, don't look at the big picture and see the good with the bad. Always on the defensive for whatever reason. Nothing was intended in the very first post I made. Only stating simple facts about the "Gold" title. You took it as a personal dig because more than likely you fall in that catagory. The Truth Will set you free. I am done !!!!

Well,Well,Well, after being banished from VTD message boards and every team site in the state, I see someone finally took your muzzle off and let you out of the kennel after 3 years !! Great to have you back. Looks as if your cronies have followed suit . As for telling you who I am ? Apparently you already know . Its so funny that people like you are so biased and single minded, don't look at the big picture and see the good with the bad. Always on the defensive for whatever reason. Nothing was intended in the very first post I made. Only stating simple facts about the "Gold" title. You took it as a personal dig because more than likely you fall in that catagory. The Truth Will set you free. I am done !!!!

Well, well, well ...never been banished from VTD and I don't visit other team's sites.... so, thank you for your compliments and thanks for welcoming me back ..didn't know I went anywhere but thanks just the same.

[question? what is banished? is that like in a fairy tale far far away? give me a freakin break....hysterical!]

Thank you for calling me a dog too...ruff ruff...names do not hurt me but obviously make you feel good! and that is typical coming from your bunch! Have you ever seen a mama dog with her puppies and someone try to mess with them... come mess with mine.....see what you get.

When you mention specific teams, coaches or players....you betcha....it's personal. The truth will always set you free...agreed....

Speaker of the truth...come out, come out.....little junkie..... say your name for the board to see you for who you really are....oh yeah, that would be a coward. Should I capitalize coward or is that good enough in lower case? No, I think capitals....COWARD. Yes, much better!

P.S. My kennel is kinda comfy and cozy...so I only come out when it is really fun! I 'll go back in for awhile now... need some help with the muzzle though... LOL

Karma...

Well, well, well ...never been banished from VTD and I don't visit other team's sites.... so, thank you for your compliments and thanks for welcoming me back ..didn't know I went anywhere but thanks just the same.

[question? what is banished? is that like in a fairy tale far far away? give me a freakin break....hysterical!]

Thank you for calling me a dog too...ruff ruff...names do not hurt me but obviously make you feel good! and that is typical coming from your bunch! Have you ever seen a mama dog with her puppies and someone try to mess with them... come mess with mine.....see what you get.

When you mention specific teams, coaches or players....you betcha....it's personal. The truth will always set you free...agreed....

Speaker of the truth...come out, come out.....little junkie..... say your name for the board to see you for who you really are....oh yeah, that would be a coward. Should I capitalize coward or is that good enough in lower case? No, I think capitals....COWARD. Yes, much better!

P.S. My kennel is kinda comfy and cozy...so I only come out when it is really fun! I 'll go back in for awhile now... need some help with the muzzle though... LOL

Karma...

Besides the fact that this post has been way past due in dying, I think you have started taking things too far and should be reported. You and the other poster are starting to get way to personal and this site does not need that. Please, both of you, do not post anymore about each other.

:thumbdown:

Besides the fact that this post has been way past due in dying, I think you have started taking things too far and should be reported. You and the other poster are starting to get way to personal and this site does not need that. Please, both of you, do not post anymore about each other.

:thumbdown:

Thank you for your mediation StingRay...is there a fee involved?

Thank you for your mediation StingRay...is there a fee involved?

No fee for me considering I still have my credibility. If you feel you must make a sarcastic reply to this post as well, don't worry, I will not reply to it or any other of your posts.

After reading these posts all I should say is WOW!!!!! I'm a high school coach (baseball) and a daddy (11 yr. old daughter). Yes I realize, baseball and softball are two different things; but they do have similarities. My daughter really enjoys the sport and I enjoy working with her and watching her play the game. She is about to start pitching lessons with an individual pitching coach in Canton.

I'm not proud enough to get her extra help, then help her with what she learns.

As a coach I would love for my players to get the specialized training of select ball so that I could spend my time with game management. I don't have the aloted time to fine tune each player AND go over game management. I have to balance the two. It's not easy for those that are more advanced to have the patience to put up with the "teaching" of the basics to someone who hasn't learned them.

In my years of coaching I've found that different styles work for different kids. Most of it has to do with what each has learned by the time I get them. (hard to teach an old dog new tricks concept; can be done, just don't have the time necessary) If I can incorporate the different styles into my philosophy of the game so that the TEAM can succeed I'll be happy. I'm here for the kids, not my ego (as all coaches should be!)

I've also had to put in the extra hours for several of my kids that don't have the money to participate in daddyball, so they can get the exposure to get to the next level. That and the fact some of their parents don't give them the confidence to go on to college. I have sent in the videotapes, contacted coaches for tryouts, showcases and so forth.

Parents, High school coaches, and select coaches have the best interest of the kids involved. However the kid gets to the next level......... who cares, just let them get there!!!!

As for the comments about coaches not being open to talking to the parents.......... Do you actually think we want to talk with a parent right after a game when they've been in the stands or behind the fence during the game calling us idiots!?!?!? It's better to wait until the next day so cooler heads can prevail.

Those of you "daddyballers" that have had conflicts with "high school coaches" and vice versa; I hope ya'll can put your differences aside and get along for the sake of the kids.