Cayuga vs Crossroads

Texsharp

Any Thoughts?

Cayuga was able to pull out a hard fought win the first time. If not for a horrible defense, they would have won fairly easy. Both teams fight untill the last out is made. Hitting wise, they are evenly matched with a slight edge to Cayuga. Both teams have some speed, but IMO Cross Roads is much better at running the bases. If Cayuga throws the lefty Thompson, I give them a big edge in the pitching department. I would rank him right now, second only to Turley from Texas High as a left handed pitcher, although with two years separating them in age,it may not be a fair comparison. In the first game, he did not have his best stuff IMO, and still handled Cross Roads very well despite the terrible defensive play of the team. Cross Roads plays stellar defense most of the time, and for this reason, I must give them the edge in the re-match. A pitcher can only work out of so many error caused situations before the dam will burst. Cross Roads takes advantage of other teams mistakes very well and more often than not, cashes them in for runs. Cayuga must get into good defensive postures and not depend on the strikeout. I do hope too see a better umpire team at this game. With all do respect, the lady umpire in the first game did a poor job calling the pitches of both teams. I wish both teams and coaches the best of luck in what should be a good game. B-NUT

horrible defense? terrible defensive play? cayuga can't run bases? whatever...give the kids a break and quit being so harsh. i'm so tired of people bashing cayuga's defensive play. tell me the last time you saw 'stellar' defense at the 1a level...if anything, our defense has improved greatly since last year...committing 6 or 7 errors a game just doesn't happen anymore...baserunning? uh , what? cayuga has nearly 100 stolen bases on the season and has been caught twice on the basepaths, once against cross roads. so that makes no sense. as for the last game, cayuga turned two double plays and had 2 errors in the game against c-roads...did they cost us, sure, cross roads makes you pay for putting people on base. but don't forget, cross roads had errors too that cost them in our last game, remember the 7th inning? ..here's the truth: these are two evenly matched teams with great starting lefties. runs will be hard to come by in a game like this...both teams bring out the best in each other. get there early if you want a seat.

horrible defense? terrible defensive play? cayuga can't run bases? whatever...give the kids a break and quit being so harsh. i'm so tired of people bashing cayuga's defensive play. tell me the last time you saw 'stellar' defense at the 1a level...if anything, our defense has improved greatly since last year...committing 6 or 7 errors a game just doesn't happen anymore...baserunning? uh , what? cayuga has nearly 100 stolen bases on the season and has been caught twice on the basepaths, once against cross roads. so that makes no sense. as for the last game, cayuga turned two double plays and had 2 errors in the game against c-roads...did they cost us, sure, cross roads makes you pay for putting people on base. but don't forget, cross roads had errors too that cost them in our last game, remember the 7th inning? ..here's the truth: these are two evenly matched teams with great starting lefties. runs will be hard to come by in a game like this...both teams bring out the best in each other. get there early if you want a seat.

I am not trying to bash the kids, please do not take it that way. I was only giving the breakdown on the two teams as I see it. I really like the Cayuga kids, and try and watch them as often as I can. They are a gritty team, who when hot can hit the ball with the best of them. But the one glaring shortfall of the Cayuga baseball team is the defense. I do think they are better than last year, and I expect they will get better. However, they put a lot of pressure on their pitchers because of their inability to make routine plays. Pop ups must never drop in the infield, and slow rollers must be charged. The defense almost gave the last game against Cross Roads away. Not trying to be harsh, just the way I see it.

B-NUT

its okay b-nut, i'm not taking it personal..i just work with the kids every day and i see that they get their lips and noses busted up, their chests smashed, and their arms wore out every day trying to rid the 'defensive woes' that have plagued us in the past. i agree with you 100%, popups in the infield have to be caught and slow rollers have to be charged...we'll get better, but in the meantime, you have to win 2 out of the 3 major things to win a game at this level: pitching, defense, hitting...my thought is if you win 2 of those things in a game, you'll win. sometimes i wish it was pitching and defense all the time, but that's not us and our team's personality. so if we have to win some games by scoring a ton and getting a great outing by our pitchers, that's what we have to live with. it may not be the best thing, but that's who we are sometimes....and yes, that puts a lot of pressure on your pitchers and makes the coach break fungos over his knees!

Cayuga was able to pull out a hard fought win the first time. If not for a horrible defense, they would have won fairly easy. Both teams fight untill the last out is made. Hitting wise, they are evenly matched with a slight edge to Cayuga. Both teams have some speed, but IMO Cross Roads is much better at running the bases. If Cayuga throws the lefty Thompson, I give them a big edge in the pitching department. I would rank him right now, second only to Turley from Texas High as a left handed pitcher, although with two years separating them in age,it may not be a fair comparison. In the first game, he did not have his best stuff IMO, and still handled Cross Roads very well despite the terrible defensive play of the team. Cross Roads plays stellar defense most of the time, and for this reason, I must give them the edge in the re-match. A pitcher can only work out of so many error caused situations before the dam will burst. Cross Roads takes advantage of other teams mistakes very well and more often than not, cashes them in for runs. Cayuga must get into good defensive postures and not depend on the strikeout. I do hope too see a better umpire team at this game. With all do respect, the lady umpire in the first game did a poor job calling the pitches of both teams. I wish both teams and coaches the best of luck in what should be a good game. B-NUT
I am pretty sure Cayuga didn't just give up runs in the first game. Actually I thought they played descent defense. I disagree with you on Cayuga having a big edge in the pitching category also. I do think that they do have an edge, but it is not by very much. Both of those young men are pretty good pitchers, especially for soph. at the 1A level. The kid from Cross Roads has improved his velocity quite a bit from last year and the Thompson kid from Cayuga is very solid. If I am not mistaken the Cross Roads kid struck out 15 the first game and the Cayuga kid struck out 11. The Cross Roads kid lost control in the second inning and gave up 4 runs and Cayuga only put 1 ball in play. Look for both pitchers and teams to be better the 2nd time around. Should be a good one.

I think you are off base on this one baseballnut. I watched a lot of Cayuga games last year and they are a much better defensive team this year. They have a pretty young team and are going to make mistakes. This is only the coach's second year with those boys, so give him some time. I know your background and have talked to a lot of people who respect your opinion, but give these kids a break on this one. They are getting better. LMB, the best pitcher will not always win the game. If the kids read these forums, I think it just puts more pressure on them, and they do not need that. The edge in pitching will go to Cayuga. Thompson and Ramsey are both good pitchers, but nothing alike. Ramsey is more of a typical lefty using his off speed stuff, while Thompson is a pure power pitcher, with good breaking stuff. No comparison in velocity if that is where you were going. Baseball is a team sport, the team wins, and the team loses. Let's not put it all on the pitcher. Will be a good game between two good teams. Beating Cross Roads twice will be no easy feat, but I think Cayuga has earned some respect for going there and beating them the first time. No one had done that in a long time.

having known coach branch for a long tme and being a coach myself, i can assure he is not the type to let his defense go. he is very thorogh and i know it eats him up when he doesn't get the plays made behind his pitching. that being said, a lot of the times and great pitcher can be fine at the 1a level with an adequate defense. but don't think it doesn't get under his skin, he's a great coach.

and as a coach, all you can do is prepare your team. if you go over fundamentals, fungo, drill them etc., during practice, then that's all you can do. if it doesn't translate into a game, then it just doesn't. but i know he's gotten results this year, and they will be fine.

get em yuga

I think you are off base on this one baseballnut. I watched a lot of Cayuga games last year and they are a much better defensive team this year. They have a pretty young team and are going to make mistakes. This is only the coach's second year with those boys, so give him some time. I know your background and have talked to a lot of people who respect your opinion, but give these kids a break on this one. They are getting better. LMB, the best pitcher will not always win the game. If the kids read these forums, I think it just puts more pressure on them, and they do not need that. The edge in pitching will go to Cayuga. Thompson and Ramsey are both good pitchers, but nothing alike. Ramsey is more of a typical lefty using his off speed stuff, while Thompson is a pure power pitcher, with good breaking stuff. No comparison in velocity if that is where you were going. Baseball is a team sport, the team wins, and the team loses. Let's not put it all on the pitcher. Will be a good game between two good teams. Beating Cross Roads twice will be no easy feat, but I think Cayuga has earned some respect for going there and beating them the first time. No one had done that in a long time.
Have you seen them pitch this year? There is not that much difference in velocity if there is any at all. (ask the Cayuga coach) Last year there was a big difference in how hard they threw, but not this year. Now I definetly agree with you that the kids don't need to put any more pressure on themselves. I hope they don't read this mess. I have read on these boards for a while and there has been a lot of talk about the Thompson kid from Cayuga. I agree totally that he is a very good pitcher, especially at the 1A level, but some people have made him out to be a little bit better than he is. Now he is still young and has time to develop into something special, but he isn't there yet. I hope he understands that and keeps working.

Have you seen them pitch this year? There is not that much difference in velocity if there is any at all. (ask the Cayuga coach) Last year there was a big difference in how hard they threw, but not this year. Now I definetly agree with you that the kids don't need to put any more pressure on themselves. I hope they don't read this mess. I have read on these boards for a while and there has been a lot of talk about the Thompson kid from Cayuga. I agree totally that he is a very good pitcher, especially at the 1A level, but some people have made him out to be a little bit better than he is. Now he is still young and has time to develop into something special, but he isn't there yet. I hope he understands that and keeps working.

I do not have a dog in this fight, but feel compelled to add my two cents in. Thompson for sure is not as good as he is going to be. But all this "good pitcher for 1a level is ####" call the TCU pitching coach and ask for his evaluation of him in the Aug. 08 showcase. This particular event consisted of the top senior high school prospects from all over the country, not just Texas. I do not know if the coaches were doing his coach a favor or what letting him be there. He threw back to back days for a total of about seven innings. He gave up I think only one hit, and allowed only 3 or 4 #### to even be put in play. I am the first to admit that a lot of kids are overated at this early age, but I assure you, he is not. Every one I have talked to says he is a super hard worker, and a very humble kid. I do not know the boy you guys are comparing him to, throwing hard is one thing, pitching hard is another animal (control) and Thompson is pitching as hard in the seventh as he is in the first. And from what I have seen and been told, he is there in the seventh, unlike a lot of high school pitchers. Just my two cents.

Rangerfan, I may very well be off base {I have been there before) I truly regret my choice of words, and meant no ill will toward the Cayuga coach or his team. I am a Cross Roads fan, but I truly enjoy watching Cayuga play, and their bull dog attitude. If I did hurt anyones feelings with my post, please accept my apology, it is sincere. For the record, I have radared Ramsey and Thompson on several instances. Ramsey pitches in the 78 to 80 mph range. Thompson pitches in the 81 to 85 mph range. My gun has no bias, and no favorites. Velocity is just one element of pitching. I do not like to compare the two boys. It does no one any merit. They are both good kids who help their team win games. They are different types of pitchers. Both are effective. B-NUT

I do not have a dog in this fight, but feel compelled to add my two cents in. Thompson for sure is not as good as he is going to be. But all this "good pitcher for 1a level is ####" call the TCU pitching coach and ask for his evaluation of him in the Aug. 08 showcase. This particular event consisted of the top senior high school prospects from all over the country, not just Texas. I do not know if the coaches were doing his coach a favor or what letting him be there. He threw back to back days for a total of about seven innings. He gave up I think only one hit, and allowed only 3 or 4 #### to even be put in play. I am the first to admit that a lot of kids are overated at this early age, but I assure you, he is not. Every one I have talked to says he is a super hard worker, and a very humble kid. I do not know the boy you guys are comparing him to, throwing hard is one thing, pitching hard is another animal (control) and Thompson is pitching as hard in the seventh as he is in the first. And from what I have seen and been told, he is there in the seventh, unlike a lot of high school pitchers. Just my two cents.
I wish the young man the best, I hope he does turn out to be great. As for the TCU showcase he must have had a really good weekend. I have seen some 1A teams hit better against him than that. My concern would be that he has not grown much if any at all from last year (physically) and really looks like the same pitcher. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if he is going to be throwing in the mid 90's as some of you have predicted he will do before he graduates then he is going to have to grow some and get stronger imo. Maybe we should let the young man pitch and play the game that he loves and not blow him up too fast. He might read this stuff. If he does, some of you have set some pretty lofty goals for him. Good luck to the young man and I look forward to watching him progress as a player.

guys i can just tell you this much, both are great players and people only at the age of 15...remember that, they're only sophomores and are just kids...yes gt is special and works extremely hard as do all of our boys...but let me say this much, at cayuga, we have mucho respect for craig ramsey...heck the kid plays quarterback, shoots 70's on the golf course, pole vaults 11 foot plus, and can throw a baseball 80 mph+ and beat us last year as a freshmen... in the end, keep an eye on the seniors in this game..cayuga vs. cross roads round 2 will bring the best out in those kids believe me. rankings, records, all that stuff is out the door for this game..i think we should skip the game and determine the outcome by a coach's home run derby!

guys i can just tell you this much, both are great players and people only at the age of 15...remember that, they're only sophomores and are just kids...yes gt is special and works extremely hard as do all of our boys...but let me say this much, at cayuga, we have mucho respect for craig ramsey...heck the kid plays quarterback, shoots 70's on the golf course, pole vaults 11 foot plus, and can throw a baseball 80 mph+ and beat us last year as a freshmen... in the end, keep an eye on the seniors in this game..cayuga vs. cross roads round 2 will bring the best out in those kids believe me. rankings, records, all that stuff is out the door for this game..i think we should skip the game and determine the outcome by a coach's home run derby!
Lol coach. Thanks for the kind words about Ramsey. I would definetly take both of these young men. The homerun derby would have to be at your place because I am to old to get 1 out of my park. You might be in trouble at your place because I have good opposite field power and your right centerfield fence isn't too far out there.

alright then its settled coach, we'll just battle each other on who can throw the shot put the farthest! how much do those things weigh anyways?

Maybe you two could model swimwear or something?! That way there is no physical exertion required and you could save your energy to hit fungo. Both teams hopefully have several more games to play and we don't want either of your arms hurting!! Go get em Wildcats!

Maybe you two could model swimwear or something?! That way there is no physical exertion required and you could save your energy to hit fungo. Both teams hopefully have several more games to play and we don't want either of your arms hurting!! Go get em Wildcats!

Way to go rcb! So you guys will have a playoff for first if you win out, right? Just don't overlook ctrain's bunch!
Thanks man. I haven't even thought about that to tell you the truth. We aren't good enough to start thinking ahead and we dang sure can't overlook c-trains group. I would just like to have all my guys and have a practice before the year is over. I had 6 played district golf yesterday and then came to play the game last night. I have 6 or 7 gone to area track today. I know that is kind of to be expected at a 1A school but dang it is frustrating sometimes. We are still plugging away though. I ate too much Sat.

Thanks man. I haven't even thought about that to tell you the truth. We aren't good enough to start thinking ahead and we dang sure can't overlook c-trains group. I would just like to have all my guys and have a practice before the year is over. I had 6 played district golf yesterday and then came to play the game last night. I have 6 or 7 gone to area track today. I know that is kind of to be expected at a 1A school but dang it is frustrating sometimes. We are still plugging away though. I ate too much Sat.

I was in the field and did not know your truck got hit until one of your kids told me. How bad was the dent from the foul ball?