Best one hit wonder song of all time

MUSTANGMANIA

Try these CT77 ... Find me some follow up hits on these!!

No problem, Daddy-0 !! :D

ALAN O'DAY -- "Started Out Dancing, Ended Up Making Love"

also wrote "Heavy Church" for Three Dog Night,

"Rock And Roll Heaven" for The Righteous Brothers

& "Angie Baby" for Helen Ready.

ERIC CARMAN -- "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again"

"Change Of Heart"

"Hungry Eyes"

"Make Me Lose Control"

'was also lead vocalist of The Raspberries

ELVIN BISHOP -- "Struttin' My Stuff"

SILVER CONVENTION -- "Get Up And Boogie (That's Right)"

C.W. McCALL -- "Wolf Creek Pass" (actually predated "Convoy")

DAVID SOUL -- "Going In With My Eyes Closed"

THE HUES CORPORATION -- "Rockin' Soul"

GEORGE McCRAE -- "I Get Lifted"

VAN McCOY -- "Change With The Times"

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golly! I didn't know Elvin Bishop was such a chart topper.

Just more than a one hit wonder. I saw him in concert back in about 1974 with Suzie Quatro and Uriah Heep. Elvin Bishop was the opening act and put on quite a show.

"Who Let The Dogs Out" The Baha Men

"Go For A Soda" Kim Mitchell

"Frankenstein" Johnny Winters

Kim Mitchell was the lead singer of the criminally underrated Canadian band Max Webster. This is a PRIME example of how derogatory the term "one-hit wonder" is, in my ever-so-humble opinion. :) Kim Mitchell has talent FAR beyond "one-hit wonder" status.

"Frankenstein" was by the Edgar Winter Group ... who also recorded the FM radio staple "Free Ride"

The Baha Man are cartoon characters, so I will not waste precious energy on them !! :D

The Lemon Pipers never hit the top #40 with anything but "Green Tambourine"

Follow-up hit "

" almost made Billboard's Top 40 -- peaking @ #46

Well, I'll give you Eric Carman, and (maybe) Alan Oday. But the others are quiet simply B-side tunes. I was hoping to find other 'Hits" from these guys. That aside...You need a day job!! Who the heck knows about "Wolf Creek Pass?!"

The name of the thread should be changed to:

> Best one song artist of all time

.... other wise any other song released by the same artist is a "hit" according to Cheapy. No such thing as a one hit wonder if there was a flip-side.

The follow-up songs I have listed in this thread are NOT "flip sides" or "B-sides" ... they are legitimate single releases from record company's A&R departments. If the song charts on Billboard's singles chart, it is a "hit" in at least some region of the country.

If we are going to change the title of this thread to anything, change it to:

Artists who only had one single make Billboard's Top 10 Singles Chart -- MUCH less derogatory !!! :D

BTW -- ask any trucker you know who was in the business in the mid/late-1970s AND who had their radio on in their rig all the time if they have heard of "Wolf Creek Pass" ;)

I've heard it ... I remember it (of course, I had the radio on 24/7 as a kid)

Later -- gotta go to my night job :w00t:

Cheapy, go back and look at my list. With the exception of Bishop (I think he had a few more), are there any there? Steve Martin did more than "King Tut" and there was a sequal to "Dueling Banjos"? :)

BTW - how do you KNOW all this trivia? There are days your brain must feel like it's going to explode with all the knowledge stored there. Sports, music, movies - is there anything you don't know?

Guest imyahuckleberry

He doesn't know what a one hit wonder is LV. lol

Like I said earlier, the guy knows music, hockey and baseball.

^ it is Cheapy's job to make sure said "campfire" does not get out of control :D

LV78 -- 'not sure you can consider Steve Martin a "one hit wonder" -- seeing how he achieved greatest in two other pop culture mediums: stand-up and movies. He had a couple of cuts from his comedy LPs that made Billboard's Pop Singles Charts: "Grandmother's Song" and "Cruel Shoes" ... back in the days when DJs (remember those guys?) would play comedy tracks form George Carlin, Richard Pryor, etc. in between songs.

BTW -- "Dueling Banjos" was the only song by Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandell to ever chart on Billboard's Pop Singles Chart :thumbsup:

As for "how I know all this" ... it is simply a passion I have had all my life. I ALWAYS had the radio on & heard all of these songs ... listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 each week, so when I heard a follow-up from someone who just had a big "hit", it automatically created a mental note in my head.

We are all different: I am constantly amazed by how much passion and knowledge you guys have for two areas I personally find trivial: politics and high-school football ... we are all wired differently :)

Lemon Pipers' follow-up hit "
" almost made Billboard's Top 40 -- peaking @ #46

Almost isn't a hit, even at #46. I think if we built this thread on various conditions of what Cheap Trick wants for us to considers what one hit wonders are. Take for instance, three bands that I love Def Leppard had 1 #1 hit song which is "PSSOM", Poison had 1 #1 hit "ERHIT", and Cheap Trick had only 1 #1 hit with "The Flame". I'm simply going off of pop charts, and not other charts.

Today, there are charts on ring tones, and downloads. I say keep posting what many think are one hit wonders. I enjoy Some country songs, but no one has even broached that genre...

We are all different: I am constantly amazed by how much passion and knowledge you guys have for two areas I personally find trivial: politics and high-school football ... we are all wired differently :)

I loooooovvvvveeeee politics, and music, but I could care less about high school football unless I go to one of my brothers games.

• Matthew Wilder had another Top 40 single, entitled "The Kid's American" -- from 1984
  • As I mentioned with Steve Martin, I am not sure someone who achieved success in another arena of Pop Culture can be labeled a "OHW" ... but that is somewhat moot, seeing how Eddie Murphy had another single chart in the Top 40 in 1989: "Put Your Mouth On Me"
  • "Genius Of Love" was the only single by the Tom Tom Club to chart on Billboard's Hot 100 Pop Singles chart. They were a side project of Talking Heads members & never were meant to be a "hit" machine! :D

"Turn Up The Radio" was Autograph's lone Billboard chart single, but had a few follow-up videos that aired on MTV & had tracks from their three 1980s LPs were in moderate rotation on FM radio.

ACE -- "Rock & Roll Runaway"

OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS -- "If You Want To Get To Heaven"

WILD CHERRY -- "Baby Don't You Know"

blind melon-no rain

carl douglas- kung fu fighting

men without hits-safety dance

norman greenbaum-spirit in the sky

marc combs-walking in memphis

Merideth Brooks-i'm a B****

Chumbawamba-i get knocked down

not saying i liked all these songs, but they were somewhat popular

no rain is one of my favorite songs of all time though