Obama Backtracks on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Campaign Promise

Aggie2008

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/08/dont...es-under-obama/

In short, a Guardsman has been removed from duty for revealing himself to be a homosexual. He served a term in Iraq and was due to go back soon. He's fluent in Arabic (soldiers like this are in short supply) and has done nothing to warrant ouster from the military besides being gay.

President Obama, during the 2008 Presidential Campaign, vowed to end the practice of booting known gays from the military, but has so far reneged on that promise.

This is what the Obama website stated in April on the issue:

”President Obama agrees with former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Shalikashvili and other military experts that we need to repeal the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy. The key test for military service should be patriotism, a sense of duty, and a willingness to serve. Discrimination should be prohibited. The U.S. government has spent millions of dollars replacing troops kicked out of the military because of their sexual orientation. Additionally, more than 300 language experts have been fired under this policy, including more than 50 who are fluent in Arabic. The President will work with military leaders to repeal the current policy and ensure it helps accomplish our national defense goals.”

Here is what it says today:

He [President Obama] supports repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in a sensible way that strengthens our armed forces and our national security.”

I'm curious to know who thinks "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" should be repealed.

I hope that they foot him for the bill for his West Point education.

I don't care if homosexuals serve in the military, as long as they have seperate barracks or pink tents or rainbow tents. Anyone can say that they are gay to get out of military service. That's a cop-out to me. The way I see it, if they want the liberty to be gay, let them fight for their freedom as well. Just put them in seperate platoons. I don't have a problem with any person desiring to fight in the military. In my mind it's a seperate situation than segregation.

Perhaps it's because of my knowledge of Greek, Macedonian, and Roman conquerors. One of the greatest Generals Alexander the Great was bi-sexual/gay. I could serve side by side with another homosexual. I just would desire seperate showers and sleeping quarters.

I agree with Dave on this one. As Long as they can live up to their end of the contract I dont see the problem with it. If they join just for the benifits or want to change the training to suit them they need to go. - - - - But definitly would want different bathrooms and bunks. I would not think it would be fair to make a straight guy share a shower with a known homsexual. If that happened I think you would see a mass exudus from our all volunteer armed forces. It would not surprise me if it happened anyway.

And that's just the point of it all.

I don't have a huge problem with homosexuals in the military on the surface level. A soldier is a soldier. I'm not a fan of rejecting anyone who earnestly wants to serve in the Armed Forces.

The problem is what you guys have stated: morale and comfort level of other soldiers. If it is something that is distracting or uncomfortable for other soldiers then it becomes a problem. One thing all the armed forces preach from day one is unity. That is the strength of our armed forces. You don't want to have a person in a unit that is a distraction to the other soldiers.

Another issue is physical and mental safety of out of the closet homosexuals. Being in the Army is a tough thing to begin with, but it is entirely plausible to think that open homosexuals would have it even tougher due to constant teasing, hazing, etc.

It is a tough issue.

If they are going to let flaming gay men bunk with normal men then they just as well let ripe horney soldiers bunk with the female soldiers so that they can get their jollies off and possible make advances on them at any given opportunity. Wouldn't be any different. If the gay men can can have close access and drool over the other men around him then the normal men should be able to have close access and drool over the women. At least that would be natural and make sense!

:wub: Whoa! What are you trying to say, Dave? :hug:

~~~Who would have thought?~~~ :no:

I think that was an accidental "out of the closet" moment.

I wonder if his wife knows? Hopefully she doesn't maintain a "don't ask, don't tell" marriage.

:shocked: - :shocked: - :shocked:

I've worked with homosexuals, I'm not geeze louise. It's not a freudian slip. I suppose that I didn't know how to convey that another person that you work with likes to play with the same team.

I was simply stating that I can work with homosexuals. I'm not a homophobe, if they want to do what they do hey let them do it. Let them do their thing, I just don't want to see it or hear about it.