1A rerun

pighunter

This is crazy!!! All my life Ive watched kids slip coming of the line, and never awarded a re-run, or even as much as a re-start. Im unbiased here as far as who advances or not, but somebody (a child, no less) got rooked here just to satisfy a couple of coaches. Sorry guys, but if yours didnt make it, dont make excuses. You may have just taken a once in a lifetime oppurtunity away from a child. Hope you're happy.

Must have been something to it, otherwise the games committee, the meet referee, and the UIL would not have allowed it to be done. People are forgetting this was not a decision one person made, there were many people involved in the decision making process. I doubt you have ever seen a race run in the conditions they were run in Saturday.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is crazy!!! All my life Ive watched kids slip coming of the line, and never awarded a re-run, or even as much as a re-start. Im unbiased here as far as who advances or not, but somebody (a child, no less) got rooked here just to satisfy a couple of coaches. Sorry guys, but if yours didnt make it, dont make excuses. You may have just taken a once in a lifetime oppurtunity away from a child. Hope you're happy.

If you would have been there and seen the conditions in which they ran the 1st boys 100m, you might have a different view. Any coach that says they wouldn't have done the same thing Coach Allison did under those circumstances, is either kidding themselves or in the wrong profession. Every coach I know would stand up for their athlete in this instance. Then it is up to the games commitee and/or UIL to make the decision.

643out

It was pouring rain and a block slipped how is that an excuse?? The coaches didn't take anything away from anybody. EVERY KID HAD THE SAME OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE RACE AGAIN.

Must have been something to it, otherwise the games committee, the meet referee, and the UIL would not have allowed it to be done. People are forgetting this was not a decision one person made, there were many people involved in the decision making process. I doubt you have ever seen a race run in the conditions they were run in Saturday.

If they ran the race, then it should be final. I do not care either who advances for my sake. If I was the coach of the kids that advanced the first time, I would not have put them on the track again and protested the re-running.

If they ran the race, then it should be final. I do not care either who advances for my sake. If I was the coach of the kids that advanced the first time, I would not have put them on the track again and protested the re-running.

I can tell you this much... if his coach had filed a written protest to the committee and they denied his appeal, and he chose to not put his kid on the track again then that coach would have cost his kid a chance to medal. I can see and understand everyone's viewpoint on this (except the blaming of kids and their parents), but we ultimately have to live by the decisions those in authority make. It's a fact of life people... not all of us agree with it, but that's just the way it is.

If you ran the race you ran the race! Raining, blocks slipping, ect are all excuses made after the fact. Truly amazing that they re ran a race because of excuses. Anyone that thinks they can justify the re run are insane. The Meet officials and UIL obviously fit in that category. I guess it is nice to be able to make the rules up as you go along!!!

YUGAFAN750 said-- "It was pouring rain and a block slipped how is that an excuse?? The coaches didn't take anything away from anybody. EVERY KID HAD THE SAME OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE RACE AGAIN. "

YUGAFAN750- I understand your statement and you have every right to make it but respectfully, I don't agree with it. The kid from Hubbard was injured. He prepared for the race (he had one shot due to his injuries) and his body held together and he won. It took everything he had to stay in the race and not fall out from his injury. He did it. He won. Now he has to come back and run it again? His injuries kept him from being 100% so he did not have the same opportunity to win the race the second time, and why should he have to win it twice?! Did the winner of the 200 have to win it twice? NO. What about the winner of the 110m hurdles, did he have to win it twice? NO. Did any other boy have to win his event twice other than the 100m? NO. Then why should the winner of the 100 have to win it twice? And in the girls race, they didn't all have the chance to win the second race because some of them were not there- they had already left the meet.

since all of you guys are experts here on what's right and wrong with the uil, palestine high school, and track, why don't we just settle it this way: line all the coaches up from the schools who were competing in the 100m dash, and let the coaches race each other. whoever gets 1st and 2nd goes to austin.

Obviously you are a very mature adult with quality, educated views on these topics...

Im a lot older than what you think... And I got more degrees than a thermometer... I know the rules of a track meet... Ive ran off track meets for more than 30+ years... Even the ones in Austin... Unless the rules have changed (which I doubt)... Kids were hurt by this... Only 5 girls were in the re-run... Is that right to the other 3 girls that left after the race was over with... No... But I know whats right and whats wrong... And what happen that day was wrong...

It was pouring rain and a block slipped how is that an excuse?? The coaches didn't take anything away from anybody. EVERY KID HAD THE SAME OPPORTUNITY TO WIN THE RACE AGAIN.

YUGAFAN750- I understand your statement and you have every right to make it but respectfully, I don't agree with it. The kid from Hubbard was injured. He prepared for the race (he had one shot due to his injuries) and his body held together and he won. It took everything he had to stay in the race and not fall out from his injury. He did it. He won. Now he has to come back and run it again? His injuries kept him from being 100% so he did not have the same opportunity to win the race the second time, and why should he have to win it twice?! Did the winner of the 200 have to win it twice? NO. What about the winner of the 110m hurdles, did he have to win it twice? NO. Did any other boy have to win his event twice other than the 100m? NO. Then why should the winner of the 100 have to win it twice? And in the girls race, they didn't all have the chance to win the second race because some of them were not there- they had already left the meet.

I can't figure out what your position is because first you say one thing then you say another. Every kid had the same opportunity to win the FIRST race. That is the one that mattered by the rules.

Why don't all you track experts get together and host the regional meet next year and then you can make those hard decisions? 643out

I do have an honest question though: Why didn't they just use the times from each race, and take the top 2? Just a thought.

Ok you don't agree with it and that's fine I see your point of view. However, were the other races ran when it had started pouring down rain?

Im a lot older than what you think... And I got more degrees than a thermometer... I know the rules of a track meet... Ive ran off track meets for more than 30+ years... Even the ones in Austin... Unless the rules have changed (which I doubt)... Kids were hurt by this... Only 5 girls were in the re-run... Is that right to the other 3 girls that left after the race was over with... No... But I know whats right and whats wrong... And what happen that day was wrong...

Great, you sound qualified to give an opinion, and yet you choose to ignore the fact that many qualified people made this judgement. The kids, their parents, and coaches should not be criticized for standing up for what is right for their kid either. I do not disagree with the fact kids were hurt by this, either way, their were kids that were going to be hurt. In a perfect world, the results would have repeated themselves, but obviously there were issues that caused those results to change.

If you were one of the three people still watching the boys race in the monsoon, you would have seen Cayuga's Shead slip as he came out of his blocks. Many people didn't notice this because it was raining so hard, it was difficult to see anything. The fact that he caught up and finished third is amazing. If this had happened to your kid, you would have been right up there protesting to the games committee as well, any coach is going to fight for his athlete when something like this happens. The problem is that they should have never run in those conditions to begin with, they were rushing the kids trying to get the races in before they had to call the meet. With that said, the decision to rerun was made behind closed doors. The rules committee determined that they should not have run the race and ruled that both the girls and boys 100 should be run again. The meet referee concurred. The rules committee called the UIL BEFORE the race was rerun to make sure that they were in agreement. After UIL approval the race was run again, this time the kid from Tenaha taking first, Cayuga second, Hubbard third. There were kids sitting behind the blocks to make sure they did not slip this time, as the track was still wet from the rain. No matter which way you cut it, somebody is going to be unhappy.

I was one of the three people sitting in the monsoon rain storm because my daughter was in line for the 800 relay. They should never of run the boys 100 meters but they did. The Cayuga boy had just as much opportunity as the seven other boys. Why did his block slip? Why did the seven others not slip? Maybe he didnt set his blocks good enough. Most of them had people holding their blocks behind them. The whole deal comes down to they ran the race and they should of stood behind it. On the girls side it wasnt raining very hard when the ran this race the first time. The Gateway girl clearly had a misstart which could of been from not having her blocks set properly which again falls on her. This race should never of been rerun at all. It was raining as hard or harder when they reran this race. This all boils down to the games committee screwing up and it cost two athletes dearly.

If you start a race, the final results have to count. There are no "do-overs" in track. The officials should have known better than to start a race in the pouring rain, but because they continued the race some kids have to pay the price. Show me another sport where this can take place.

I was one of the three people sitting in the monsoon rain storm because my daughter was in line for the 800 relay. They should never of run the boys 100 meters but they did. The Cayuga boy had just as much opportunity as the seven other boys. Why did his block slip? Why did the seven others not slip? Maybe he didnt set his blocks good enough. Most of them had people holding their blocks behind them. The whole deal comes down to they ran the race and they should of stood behind it. On the girls side it wasnt raining very hard when the ran this race the first time. The Gateway girl clearly had a misstart which could of been from not having her blocks set properly which again falls on her. This race should never of been rerun at all. It was raining as hard or harder when they reran this race. This all boils down to the games committee screwing up and it cost two athletes dearly.

I have to disagree on two counts, first, there was not anyone holding the blocks in the first race, they only allowed that after the restart of the track meet and the rerun of the 100 because the track was so wet. (Although not nearly as wet and slippery as the first race) Second, when they did redo the race, it was not raining hard at all, just a light sprinkle.

Those BAMMABOYS are smart ones!!!!!

Interesting that UIL would recommend a rerun because I can guarantee you down in Austin, once a race is run, it's over! If it was raining as hard as is being reported, why didn't meet referee step in and call a rain delay right then. I still can't figure out why the girls race was rerun if only a light rain during that race. Having started meets for over 20 years, in wet conditions we are paying especially close attention to a block slippage but in defense of the starters, in catching block slippage sound is very important. Many times you hear the sound of the block slip and may not actually no immediately what lane, but you still call a restart but in a driving rainstorm, the sound was most assuredly compromised. Very unfortunate situation but still feel first race should have stood. Hate it most of all for the kids that have been effected but part of athletics is learning some hard lessons, one being life isn't always fair.

Interesting that UIL would recommend a rerun because I can guarantee you down in Austin, once a race is run, it's over! If it was raining as hard as is being reported, why didn't meet referee step in and call a rain delay right then. I still can't figure out why the girls race was rerun if only a light rain during that race. Having started meets for over 20 years, in wet conditions we are paying especially close attention to a block slippage but in defense of the starters, in catching block slippage sound is very important. Many times you hear the sound of the block slip and may not actually no immediately what lane, but you still call a restart but in a driving rainstorm, the sound was most assuredly compromised. Very unfortunate situation but still feel first race should have stood. Hate it most of all for the kids that have been effected but part of athletics is learning some hard lessons, one being life isn't always fair.

Well said...

Sports r us- The top portion of my post was a quote from YUGAFAN. I copied it and pasted it on my post. I tried to use the "quote" button but after 3 mins of waiting, nothing happened. So I copy/pasted it. i should have put in my own quotation marks and attached YUGAFAN to it. My opinion is that of the bottom of the post. Sorry for the confusion.

YUGAFAN750- Whether it was raining or not, the race happened. It was raining in lane 5 just as much as it was in lane 4. All of the participants ran under the same conditions and that equals a fair start. If the block slipped then that is up to the back up starter. He didn't call them back because the block didn't slip.