Eli Manning or Tony Romo....Who's better?

No where did I say Mr. Romo was a bad quarterback. He's a good quarterback, but certainly not a great one.

And the argument that "He has a very high drive to succeed on the field" is moot.

I have a very high drive to become a millionaire. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No where did I say Mr. Romo was a bad quarterback. He's a good quarterback, but certainly not a great one.

And the argument that "He has a very high drive to succeed on the field" is moot.

I have a very high drive to become a millionaire. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I agree Romo is good, not great..But to say Eli Manning is a "crunch time " QB or a top QB simply because his team won a SB is crazy..Eli is a solid QB that was on a team that caught fire at the right time. But Eli Manning did not lead that team thru the play-offs, the defensive front 4 did. What Eli did was play caretaker and not turn the ball over, which is well and good, but it was not like he went thru that play-off run on fire and beating the teams on the strength of his play..even with that amazing run his play off record is 4-3..not real crunchtime, in fact he lost his first TWO play-off games ( alot like romo) and the year BEFORe winning the SB the Giants missed the play offs. Look at his stats

Never been rated abover 85..only once had over 60% completitions for a year

now onto his play off stats again 4-3 record, all 4 coming in one year

8 TD 7 INT career in play off with a 58% compl and a whopping 77 rating...oh..and he has yet to lead a team to more than 24 points in a play off game

so again yes Romo has to prove himself in the play offs...BUT Eli Manning is not some play off stud who once the postseason hits he will will his team to victory or anything close to that..average QB on a team built on running the ball and playing great D.

You are mistaken my friend. These are the career for both players. Not even close. I'll leave you to average the comparisons. Clear cut to me.

Tony Romo

CMP ATT YDS COMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT

831 1307 10562 63.6 8.08 81 46 65 94.5

Eli Manning

CMP ATT YDS COMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT

1276 2284 14623 55.9 6.40 98 74 120 76.1

I am mistaken. I was using the stats for Peyton Manning instead of Eli. The bottom line is both Mannings have a Super Bowl trophy and Romo hasn't even won a playoff game. Championships are what an NFL quarterback will be remembered for (unless you're Dan Marino or Dan Fouts).

I am mistaken. I was using the stats for Peyton Manning instead of Eli. The bottom line is both Mannings have a Super Bowl trophy and Romo hasn't even won a playoff game. Championships are what an NFL quarterback will be remembered for (unless you're Dan Marino or Dan Fouts).

aaah, the ol' "this standard is definitive, except for when it isn't definitive" argument. Since you've added the caveat that great quarterbacks can be measured without championships, and you named a couple, wouldn't you admit that it's reasonable to assume that measuring a quarterback's ability by his championships is flawed and riddled with holes?

If this argument were to be taken to its conclusion, we would have to say that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are obviously just as good as Peyton Manning; they all of a SB ring. Dan Marino couldn't be any better than Rex Grossman, and Terry Bradshaw would absolutely have to be better than Bart Starr or Johnny Unitas.

Stats don't make a good quarterback.

You could argue Romo is a better quarterback than Eli Manning, and you could argue the other way around.

But regardless of how you feel on that subject, Romo needs to start changing his approach to his game and performing better ... otherwise, he's not the answer for the Cowboys.

Interesting that you responded to my reply by putting Mannings stats down as if it were Eli. You were responding to my post about Eli and must have tried to sneak it in there. Doesn't matter to me. Plenty of other people and people that matter; are convinced of Romo's ability. He doesn't have to prove anything. He just needs to play his game and if the TEAM plays well enough to win a Super Bowl then it'll happen. Just like it did when the Giants and so many other teams that have won with an average QB. Some of you people are putting too much emphasis on one player to determine your championship level. You are most assuredly living in a dream world to think this way. Still goes back to team ball.

Mantle... The same can be said of every player in the NFL. You need to perform better.... Romo's performance is not enough no matter how well he performs. If you just go on stats then Romo is great. Oops it still goes back to the team performing better and less injuries and luck.

Since this thread has turned to Romo talk. Romo won't have a proven receiver next year. Roy Williams didn't make any plays last year. All Romo has is Witten and Barber. Williams was with the team for 14 games played in 10 and had 19 receptions for 198 yards and 1 T.D. . Is he going to have a break out year ? How can he when all he has is Patrick Crayton to take any load off of him. Unless they can find someone that gets cut, Romo's numbers are going to drop. If he has a great year, and a great year to me is making it to the N.F.C. Championship, Romo is a bust.

This is the year that Romo has to prove himself. There are some huge shoes to fill, when you are the quarterback of God's Team and America's Team. Romo has to put up or shut up, after this year. I don't think he'll do it. I might be wrong. The only way that Romo can gain favor in my mind is to lead the Cowboys to the N.F.C. Championship. If he doesn't, he's toast in my opinion.

Romo is still better then Carter so to start bashing Romo becuase he cant handle pretty ladies and football.

Plus I am one to blame last year on the guy who aint here no more.

But I agree Romo needs to be more prepared for a playoff game or start dating uglier women!!!!

Since this thread has turned to Romo talk. Romo won't have a proven receiver next year. Roy Williams didn't make any plays last year. All Romo has is Witten and Barber. Williams was with the team for 14 games played in 10 and had 19 receptions for 198 yards and 1 T.D. . Is he going to have a break out year ? How can he when all he has is Patrick Crayton to take any load off of him. Unless they can find someone that gets cut, Romo's numbers are going to drop. If he has a great year, and a great year to me is making it to the N.F.C. Championship, Romo is a bust.

This is the year that Romo has to prove himself. There are some huge shoes to fill, when you are the quarterback of God's Team and America's Team. Romo has to put up or shut up, after this year. I don't think he'll do it. I might be wrong. The only way that Romo can gain favor in my mind is to lead the Cowboys to the N.F.C. Championship. If he doesn't, he's toast in my opinion.

Dave... Personally I think Dallas has two proven receivers in Crayton and Williams. Both have shown over the years they can be very good receivers. No, I do not think they are "star" receivers. We need players like them, solid with good potential. Besides we have a couple of good TE's including one of the best to have ever played, as well as Felix Jones whom may be a diamond in the rough. The passing game seems to be adequate. If our line can perform better and special teams... then we should be looking good. Too me your still putting too much onto the QB to determine your success or lack there of.

You could argue Romo is a better quarterback than Eli Manning, and you could argue the other way around.

But regardless of how you feel on that subject, Romo needs to start changing his approach to his game and performing better ... otherwise, he's not the answer for the Cowboys.

1) I think I just showed in my earlier posts that yes, some stats do lend themselves very well to showing some of the best quarterbacks that have played. It's pretty astounding really, since YPA has remained steady since at least the 40's.

2) I haven't seen much of an argument against Romo being better that isn't riddled with holes in logic or contradictions.

3) Changing his approach how? Throwing motion? More safety valve passes? I'm going to jump out and assume you mean less turnovers, but they very guy we're comparing Romo to is a cavalcade of turnovers when his team relies on him for any length of time. That includes some of his awful playoff games.

"Stats don't make a good quarterback"? Are you kidding me?!!! You just can't have a good QB without good stats...PERIOD! Who would hire one without good stats? People throw out all this cr@p about Romo's approach to the game and his attitude and commitment..... This thought process comes from people that live in fantasy. I don't care who you are. Some of you guys take a few "snippets" of video interviews and think you know what a person is made of. Fact is you don't really know what the athlete like Romo is about anyway. You only see what the press wants you to see.

Just seeing how so many people like myself are closed minded on the Romo situation I don't expect peoples opinions to change. Point is, it does not matter how good he plays if his line and support is not healthier and improved. You are truly blind if you cannot see this. I'm saying with just an average QB any team can win with support. Eli proved that!

BTW I don't care about Quincy Carter. He's closed his own doors and doesn't deserve my time.

what approach should he change? He should throw less picks? Would you rather have 35 tds and 18 picks or 20 tds and 10 picks because I'd much rather the former. He's had one whole season as a starter in which he led the team to the 1 seed in the NFC. What did he do in the playoffs, I think he did his job, people like Crayton let him down and the refs were pretty atrocious. Everyone attributed last season's second half performance to another Romo chokejob, but I'd almost be willing to bet his hand was still in terrible shape but he was playing anyway.

Dave... Personally I think Dallas has two proven receivers in Crayton and Williams. Both have shown over the years they can be very good receivers. No, I do not think they are "star" receivers. We need players like them, solid with good potential. Besides we have a couple of good TE's including one of the best to have ever played, as well as Felix Jones whom may be a diamond in the rough. The passing game seems to be adequate. If our line can perform better and special teams... then we should be looking good. Too me your still putting too much onto the QB to determine your success or lack there of.

Wasn't the same said with Joey Galloway and Raghib Ismael ? They both had potential. Tashard Choice might be the diamond in the rough. Felix Jones had a reputation as a solid running back at Arkansas.

The Quarterback is the backbone of any football team. The Quarterback touches the ball on every play. The Quarterback is the field general, he has to motivate the team to perform for him. You can leaders in every aspect of football, but if you're Quarterback doesn't have support from the team they wind up like Gary Hogeboom, Steve Pelluer, Vinny Testaverde, etc.

We'll see, I'm not expecting any of the recievers to have a "break out" year.

Wasn't the same said with Joey Galloway and Raghib Ismael ? They both had potential. Tashard Choice might be the diamond in the rough. Felix Jones had a reputation as a solid running back at Arkansas.

The Quarterback is the backbone of any football team. The Quarterback touches the ball on every play. The Quarterback is the field general, he has to motivate the team to perform for him. You can leaders in every aspect of football, but if you're Quarterback doesn't have support from the team they wind up like Gary Hogeboom, Steve Pelluer, Vinny Testaverde, etc.

We'll see, I'm not expecting any of the recievers to have a "break out" year.

Agreed the QB is your generalized leader on the team. The defense feeds off him as well. I've not heard any of the players really complain of Romo. He does take chances occasionally trying to make plays when he no doubt should eat or throw away the ball. His experience in this area will improve. Besides, having someone take the team on their back and try to make things happen is someone I would want leading my team.

I really like Choice as well. You are probably right about his skills. I think he just got under the radar being in Georgia. He was already touted as a really good back while at Oklahoma. Choice and Jones opens up so many options if Garrett can design the plays for them.

Dont forget that Romo has the most over-rated LT protecting him ever. Flozell (The Hotel) Adams needs to be closed down. If a DE cant run around him they can always bull rush him.

The TE Bennet ONLY MAKES PLAYS WHEN THE GAME IS ALREADY LOST can not block that well so please do not crown him as the next TE.

Do not depend on Crayton I can not make a clutch catch, to be a solid wr.

Plus the cowboys secondary cant cover 2 sitting on the toilet.

And how many times did pac man fumble a punt last year.

Plus you cant spell Turn Over with out TO.

Dont forget that Romo has the most over-rated LT protecting him ever. Flozell (The Hotel) Adams needs to be closed down. If a DE cant run around him they can always bull rush him.

The TE Bennet ONLY MAKES PLAYS WHEN THE GAME IS ALREADY LOST can not block that well so please do not crown him as the next TE.

I guess this means your not a fan of the Cowboys. It doesn't matter. You would be the same person that would complain if Dallas won Super Bowl. There's always haters.

so for any QB who has been starting for 2 1/2 years and yet to win a SB...pack up your bags and retire.

this does not bother me because the same ppl will be lifting Romo's name when he wins a SB...and they have the talent to do it.

accoring to those who say you're only legit if you don't win a SB....i guess eli is on the same level as his brother...as steve young, brett farve...and better than dan marino.

Romo has every tool to be one of the best. But until he starts protecting the ball he (& the Cowboys) are going nowhere.

IMO he's already handicapped having a porous OL, a weak WR corps, and an offensive coordinator who basically has shown an inability to adapt to game situations. His saving grace is the TE situation. IF Roy Williams can reverse his production of last year then they have a chance. If Marion Barber or Felix Jones goes down this could get ugly.

We'll see.

I guess this means your not a fan of the Cowboys. It doesn't matter. You would be the same person that would complain if Dallas won Super Bowl. There's always haters.

I am a Cowboys fan, I am not a Jerry Jones fan or a fan of lazy soft O-lineman, pre madaonna TE or a 2cd rate WR who does not know his role.

I am a Cowboys fan, I am not a Jerry Jones fan or a fan of lazy soft O-lineman, pre madaonna TE or a 2cd rate WR who does not know his role.

i dont understand why you even mention bennett...he is a backup tight end...he plays ten snaps max per game.

31-16352-B.jpg

Makes a difference when you view the world without them.

I disagree.

1) Flo had a bad year last year playing with a bad wing. He's not getting younger. However, over a 3 year period I believe he's been near the top of the league in fewest sacks allowed. He has readily shut down Umenyiora, Abraham, Freeney, Porter, and Peterson during that stretch. The only guy that seems to give him trouble is Trent Cole.

2) Bennett has contributed in several wins. He caught the gamewinner vs. Washington. He blocks better than Fasano out of the FullHouse and F-back positions. When he hits the MLB, he pancakes or seals them. He did a far better job than most suspected.

3) The Cowboys secondary isn't a Cover 2 secondary. They're a press-bail man secondary. They may use a Cover 2 shell at times, but they actually play more Quarters/ Cover 3.

4) This last two points are meaningless and trivial; neither play of the team any longer. Sure, Adam Jones was bad as a punt returner; I'd be far more concerned with Marion Barber's high fumble numbers than anything to do with Clayton or Smith as a punt returner.