*Official* Confederations Cup thread

CrankThatCrabtree

US plays Italy today, I'd be stoked with a tie but I'm not counting on it.

US group is Italy, Brazil, US, and Egypt, Brazil beat Egypt today 4-3.

the other group is Spain, South Africa, Iraq and New Zealand

Spain is the class of this tournament I believe, they are #1 in the world in the FIFA rankings and it's not close, they are going to win that group with great ease. You have to believe it's going to be Italy and Brazil advancing in the other group, I'm glad the U.S. plays Italy first as Italy is notoriously slow starters in tournaments. (3-0 thrashing at the hands of the Dutch for instance in 2008 Euro)

US loses 3-1 because of a Red Card in the 33rd minute by Ricardo Clark..... bush league call, it was a yellow card but definitely not a red. US scored first on a PK but just couldn't hold the lead through the 2nd half. Down 2-1 in about the 80th minute Donovan was fouled in the box but there was no call. If this game is played at full strength I fully believe the US would have at least got the tie. Very frustrating

here is how group B played out today

going into today the standings were

Team..........W....L....D.......P......TobinFrost......GF

Brazil..........2.....0....0.......6.......4.........7

Italy............1.....1....0......3........1.........3

Egypt..........1.....1....0.......3.......0.........4

USA............0.....2....0.......0.......-5........1

(TobinFrost= goal differential, GF= Goals scored)

Brazil beats Italy today 3-0 and USA beats Egypt 3-0 so the group ends up like this

Team..........W....L....D......P.......TobinFrost......GF

Brazil..........3.....0....0......9........7.........10

USA............1.....2....0......3.......-2.........4

Italy............1.....2....0......3.......-2.........3

Egypt..........1.....2....0......3.......-3.........4

top 2 from each group advance

Goal differential is the first tiebreaker when it comes to group play, goals scored is the 2nd tiebreaker, therefore the US advances under the most unlikely of scenarios from the second tiebreaker. I'm so pumped you guys have no idea.

USA vs. Spain is going to be as close to an impossible game to win as possible, but I'm glad we get a chance to play it.

Because he doesn't fit in with the way the U.S. tries to play him, we want him to play outside when he is better in the middle of the field in more of central attacking role or even as a striker, he really played like trash for 60 minutes and then scored. He doesn't help on defense like an outside midfielder should, he doesn't really concern himself with that facet of the game and it hurts the team, especially since we have so many injuries in the back 4 as it is.

2-0

U.S. plays winner of Brazil vs South Africa (that game is tomorrow). In all likelyhood it will be a U.S. vs Brazil rematch but you never know. Going in I'm sure the world would have put easy money on a Spain and Brazil final

2-0

U.S. plays winner of Brazil vs South Africa (that game is tomorrow). In all likelyhood it will be a U.S. vs Brazil rematch but you never know. Going in I'm sure the world would have put easy money on a Spain and Brazil final

Thanks...maybe the good old USA will pull this one out, too..... :happy65:

Did he touch the ball? No. Did he effect the play in anyway, absolutely not. Good goal

he was standing behind the wall on the 6 yard line in front of the keeper. if the keeper has to worry about him being part of the play he is offsides. he wasnt standing on the touchline but right in front of the keeper and those brazil guys can chip over anything.

so i guess u r saying if he was standing on the front post he wasnt part of the play because the ball went to the other post?