Should the High School Football Season Move to the Spring and Baseball Move to the Fall?

RedCreek49

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do some of you old timers remember back when the coaches would barely let you have a water break? ... :sweat: Going without water was supposed to toughen you up :no: Somewhere along the way they figured out water was a good thing ... :thumbsup:

Do some of you old timers remember back when the coaches would barely let you have a water break? ... :sweat: Going without water was supposed to toughen you up :no: Somewhere along the way they figured out water was a good thing ... :thumbsup:

No water and take those salt tablets!!!! But nobody was dying back then either. I agree with Redcreek- let them have coach supervised practices in the summer so they can be aclimated.

There does need to be spaced out practices over summer so it isn't a culture shock in August. We need the parents to tell the kids to put away the video games and go fishing or something outside. You just don't see the kids out in the weather if it's hot, then two-a-days roll around and they have a hard time.

JUNCTION BOYS !

That's exactly it! Kids are not accustom to the heat like the marjority of us were when we were growing up. A lot of people did not have air conditioning. We hardly got to come in the house during the summer until dark. Hauling hay, pup wood and paper wood, picking peas and butterbeans, hauling sod and watermellons, playing out side, having railroad (slag) rock fights or being locked out so we would not mess up the house. Them there was putting up or fexing fence, roofing, mowing, planting pine trees etc...

Most kids now days stay inside and play video games. The only time they come out is to go to practice or to a game. The other day they had to takes kids to the hospital because they overheated watching games at Dr. Pepper Field.

I doubt they do much tinkering with the schedule right now but with all the liberals in control of everything, let a few deaths happen and look out.

AMEN BROTHER WELL SAID!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

Drive down any neighborhood any time of the year and you see very little activity of kids playing outside. We are raising a soft generation.......Back when, If I wasn't working I was in the gym during the summer(NO A/C).......I say start early for two a days and be finished by 11:00.....or build indoor practice field with A/C ...lol

But one of the main reasons that the kids aren't outside doing stuff is because of the parents. SOME of the parents don't care what their kid does. Heck, some parents don't know whose house their kid is at! :no:

But one of the main reasons that the kids aren't outside doing stuff is because of the parents. SOME of the parents don't care what their kid does. Heck, some parents don't know whose house their kid is at! :no:

During summer (no car)

We would roam around town on bicycles most of the day, parents were at work. We played wiffle ball, football, and basketball. Get back home around 7pm eat, go right back outside... till heard parents calling you home. (Football season) 2 a days started @ 7am on field practice till round 9:30-10:00. Go home come back @ 3pm go in classrooms for chalkboard talk till round 5pm. Go to field practice, run gassers till 7:30-8:00. Everyone complained but I would do it all over again if I could. Those were the days! We had the hottest summer ever recorded during those years. I say leave it where it is football belongs in the fall. State Fairs and everything!!!

If baseball players are supposed to be the boys of summer than football players are the boys of the fall. Could baseball be pled in the fall and into December. Yes, I think if could, the December games could be a little rough though. However, about the coldest I've been is during February or very early March on a Baseball game with a 25 mile per hour wind cutting you into.

Could Football be played in the spring. Yes, it could, I remember the old USFL and the recent Spring and Summer Pro Leagues althought they did not last. Football teams would have to depend a little more on thier running games early in the season until the weather warmed a little bit.

Up North, Baseball teams come South in February and early Marh to play Community/Jr. and Sr. College ball because of the weather but could they play football that time of year.

Who knows, I thing it will be a cold day in you know where instead of a hot day in Texas before they switch the sports season!

The Football Trainers Association is advocating delaying the start of two-a-day practices until the second week of fall practice. Teams would go the 1st week once a day in shorts and two-a-days in shorts.

It is rumured many experts would like to see the season start date moved to the end os September insteadof the end of August. In order to do this teams would have to eliminate a few games per year. It really would only effect the teams that make long runs in the playoffs.

It is hot and in the years to come, it is onlly going to get much worse it's been said. One group has even suggested moving Football to the Spring and Baseball to the Fall. I'm not sure how well that would work out up North.

Also, what impact would moving the High School Season have on the players going to play in college? Should their seasom be moved too? Would the world stop if Football was not played in the fall?

The fear driving this is Football players are going to start suffering heat strokes and possible death at rates never seen before!

no, no & no! are we bringing up a generation of everything has to be perfect or i can't perform?...again.....no.......fall is for football!!

Eventually, the liberals will have us playing flag or two hand touch and get away from those big ole hot shoulders pads and that mean hitting. They will probably want the kids to wear flip-flops so their feet can stay cool too! I guess then they will make it a rule that no one is allowed to run too fast so other can't catch them so everything will be fair for everyone!

Eventually, the liberals will have us playing flag or two hand touch and get away from those big ole ht shoulders pads and that mean hitting. They will probably want the kids to wear flip-flops so their feet can stay cool too! I guess then they will make it a rule that no one is allowed to run too fast so other can't catch them so everything will be fair for everyone!

That's the goal it looks like they are trying to reach......

The trainers are complaining? maybe they should start doing their jobs and encouraging the athletes to get in shape.

Pathetic. :thumbdown:

Don't EVER say an athletic trainer isn't doing his or her job. A LOT more goes into that profession than is realized.

As far as "encouraging the athletes to get in shape."--I got news for you if the athletes care about what their performance is like they'll take the initiative and do it on their own. And it isn't an athletic trainers resposibility to get the athletes INTO shape. It's only their responsibility to provide preventative measures for injury and rehabilitation of an injured athlete.

Maybe parents ought to start doing their jobs and actually parent....:thumbsup:

And to answer the question of if football should be moved to the spring instead of the fall: NO, it should not.

The majority of the kids today just aren't conditioned to the heat. Too much time indoors playing video games and on the computers. When I was a kid we were outside the majority of the time and we were used to the heat and we drank a lot of water. I say leave football where it is.

Another problem that I see is kids will use energy drinks as forms of energy. Those drinks (Monster, Red Bull, etc.) aren't good for you. Especially before a football practice or game. They are worse than sodas. That just goes to show that our society is getting lazier; not taking care of themselves and expecting something else to do it for them.

Does anybody know where I can get a cab with AC to enclose my push mower? I don't want my boys overheating while they mow this summer! Global warming is a serious issue. I know this because I am good friends with a polar bear and two eskimos!

Does anybody know where I can get a cab with AC to enclose my push mower? I don't want my boys overheating while they mow this summer! Global warming is a serious issue. I know this because I am good friends with a polar bear and two eskimos!

:clap: That's pretty funny.

They've been playing football for 100+ years in the fall. Why would they change it now?

Technology is so much better now that things can be done to prevent any dangerous things happening compared to what was available just 10 or 15 years ago.

I believe in the Global Warming trend, and how we need to be green, recycle all we can and all of that stuff that just really makes sense. But this warming thing is not affecting but maybe one degree every 20-25 years. Depending on where you live, it may be even colder. This varies all over the world. I am an old codger and I played over 40 years ago. It was hot as hell back then, just like it is now. Does anybody remember 1980 with something like a thousand days with 100 degree days in a row. Exaggerating a little on the days but it did last from May until the middle of September and I can remember taking a picture of my thermometer on the patio and it was 117 in the shade.

We all need to make this world a better place for our children and our children's children, but we don't need to change football season. I have been going to high school football games since 1955 and it has always been hot in August and part of September. I've seen it snow and sleet on Halloween and that same year it was 108 degrees in week 2. Hot and cold is what football is all about. People love to go to the Friday night games late in the year and bring a thermos of something and nowadays one of those snuggle blankets.

I say leave it alone, people are just not outside as much as they used to be and they cannot take the hot weather anymore. IMO everything is just fine as it is.