Still wondering......

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...And I'm sure that Texas never held all night long... :rolleyes:

On almost any given play, if you look hard enough, you can find something to complain about. The pictured play was certainly holding on Tech, but I'll wager if I replayed the tape of the game, I could find some uncalled holding penalties on the Horns!

...And I'm sure that Texas never held all night long... :rolleyes:

On almost any given play, if you look hard enough, you can find something to complain about. The pictured play was certainly holding on Tech, but I'll wager if I replayed the tape of the game, I could find some uncalled holding penalties on the Horns!

You will probably find a block in the back on that punt return. UT needs to quit whining on this game. It is done, over, you lost. Move on now. Good grief!

You will probably find a block in the back on that punt return. UT needs to quit whining on this game. It is done, over, you lost. Move on now. Good grief!

It was gift wrapped for you big man. That's part of why it hurts so much. The other part is obvious, we would've been in the Big 12 championship game and most likely the national championship game. It's not quite so easy to say, "Oh well, we lost so let's move on to next season." I don't understand why fans of opposing teams can't understand the magnitude of that game and the obnoxiously huge ramifications of said game.

I've said it many times on SDC that Tech played well enough to win that game, and won it fair and square and have congratulated Tech fans on what I think is the biggest win in Texas Tech history. I even went so far as to post that I had a slight soft spot in my heart for Tech that night, because I remember what it is like to break a long losing streak against a hated opponent, i.e. UT defeating OU in 2005.

Please Tech fans, remember that you were handed a second chance when Gideon dropped the game ending interception and it took a near miracle play for Tech to defeat UT even though UT had been beaten down in the first half. It seems almost all Tech fans always want to say that had UT won they wouldn't have deserved to win, because Tech completely dominated the first half. That doesn't matter one bit. Can't you give credit to UT for having the heart, desire, passion and determination to continue fighting even though they were down 22-6 at half time on the road in an extremely hostile environment?

I bet if your team had been in the position UT was in, and having really should've won the game, only to lose it in the end with the national championship right there to be had, you couldn't let it go either. You've never experienced winning a national championship in football as a fan. The sheer joy and ecstasy of Texas winning the national championship in 2005 is something I'll never forget. Once your team has been there, and at the end of the season you were literally one play away from playing for another national championship you will understand why UT fans can't just let it go.

Congratulations Texas Tech fans on a great win against UT last season. I actually have a picture hanging in my garage of all the students on the field after the game, and on the bottom of the picture it reads "Red Raiders 39, Longhorns 33" and it gives the date. I'll let you Tech fans tell me why you think a Longhorn fan has that picture hanging in his garage surrounded by burnt orange.

I'm usually on the side of believing that no one is a victim of officiating because typically it evens out over the course of a game. There are a few instances where calls are blown, but the truth is that Texas had the chance to earn that win regardless of the officials.

A) Gideon catches the easy pick, Texas wins.

B) If the safety doesn't take a horrible angle on the last play and shoves Crabtree out of bounds, Texas still has a chance to win.

Texas lost this game for themselves regardless of any call by the officials.

I'm usually on the side of believing that no one is a victim of officiating because typically it evens out over the course of a game. There are a few instances where calls are blown, but the truth is that Texas had the chance to earn that win regardless of the officials.

A) Gideon catches the easy pick, Texas wins.

B) If the safety doesn't take a horrible angle on the last play and shoves Crabtree out of bounds, Texas still has a chance to win.

Texas lost this game for themselves regardless of any call by the officials.

Agreed, Aggie2008, I wholeheartedly concur...

I will begin this post by saying that I can sympathize with the Horn fans (as much as it is possible for a Sooner to empathize with a Horn! :thumbsup: ). The missed opportunity by Gideon, the poor angle by the DB on the last play of the game... it stings like all get-out to lose a game like that, especially in view of the BCS ramifications and aftermath! :D

Congrats to the Red Raiders on a thrilling victory, congrats to the Horns for ALMOST (but not quite) pulling out a win...

Having said all that, there WERE no blatant, game-changing missed calls in the TT - UT game, NOTHING that could compare with the reaming that OU endured at the hands of the officials and replay officials in Oregon in 2006. I shudder to think of the Longhorn nation's angst had something similar happened to them in Lubbock... Kind of like OU-TT in 2005, also in Lubbock, when Amendola caught the ball on a 4th down play, came to terra firma a yard and a half short of the first down marker, but was awarded a first down... then Tech subsequently was awarded a TD on Henderson's late reach across the goal line... THOSE kind of calls is what keeps a true fan awake at nights for awhile...

..... ain't football fun? :lol: We can argue til the cows come home, but nothing changes...

Agreed, Aggie2008, I wholeheartedly concur...

I will begin this post by saying that I can sympathize with the Horn fans (as much as it is possible for a Sooner to empathize with a Horn! :thumbsup: ). The missed opportunity by Gideon, the poor angle by the DB on the last play of the game... it stings like all get-out to lose a game like that, especially in view of the BCS ramifications and aftermath! :D

Congrats to the Red Raiders on a thrilling victory, congrats to the Horns for ALMOST (but not quite) pulling out a win...

Having said all that, there WERE no blatant, game-changing missed calls in the TT - UT game, NOTHING that could compare with the reaming that OU endured at the hands of the officials and replay officials in Oregon in 2006. I shudder to think of the Longhorn nation's angst had something similar happened to them in Lubbock... Kind of like OU-TT in 2005, also in Lubbock, when Amendola caught the ball on a 4th down play, came to terra firma a yard and a half short of the first down marker, but was awarded a first down... then Tech subsequently was awarded a TD on Henderson's late reach across the goal line... THOSE kind of calls is what keeps a true fan awake at nights for awhile...

..... ain't football fun? :lol: We can argue til the cows come home, but nothing changes...

Amen, Texas fans don't know what bad officiating is.

It was gift wrapped for you big man. That's part of why it hurts so much. The other part is obvious, we would've been in the Big 12 championship game and most likely the national championship game. It's not quite so easy to say, "Oh well, we lost so let's move on to next season." I don't understand why fans of opposing teams can't understand the magnitude of that game and the obnoxiously huge ramifications of said game.

I've said it many times on SDC that Tech played well enough to win that game, and won it fair and square and have congratulated Tech fans on what I think is the biggest win in Texas Tech history. I even went so far as to post that I had a slight soft spot in my heart for Tech that night, because I remember what it is like to break a long losing streak against a hated opponent, i.e. UT defeating OU in 2005.

Please Tech fans, remember that you were handed a second chance when Gideon dropped the game ending interception and it took a near miracle play for Tech to defeat UT even though UT had been beaten down in the first half. It seems almost all Tech fans always want to say that had UT won they wouldn't have deserved to win, because Tech completely dominated the first half. That doesn't matter one bit. Can't you give credit to UT for having the heart, desire, passion and determination to continue fighting even though they were down 22-6 at half time on the road in an extremely hostile environment?

I bet if your team had been in the position UT was in, and having really should've won the game, only to lose it in the end with the national championship right there to be had, you couldn't let it go either. You've never experienced winning a national championship in football as a fan. The sheer joy and ecstasy of Texas winning the national championship in 2005 is something I'll never forget. Once your team has been there, and at the end of the season you were literally one play away from playing for another national championship you will understand why UT fans can't just let it go.

Congratulations Texas Tech fans on a great win against UT last season. I actually have a picture hanging in my garage of all the students on the field after the game, and on the bottom of the picture it reads "Red Raiders 39, Longhorns 33" and it gives the date. I'll let you Tech fans tell me why you think a Longhorn fan has that picture hanging in his garage surrounded by burnt orange.

K, first, I am not big, nor am I a man! UGH. Second, whine away that you lost the opportunity to go to the National Championship. Wake up and smell the coffee. That was a 3 way street in our conference last season, yet only the Horns whine so long and so consistently about the loss. There are always missed calls in every game. There are always fans that think there are more missed calls than there really are. There are always teams that give away great opportunities in each season (ie, UT losing to TT, TT then losing to OU) It is part of the game. We can rehash this and revisit the argument all you want, however, the loss will still be there and you will still sound like you are whining. Move on.................

Oh and yes, TT will most likely lose to UT in Austin this year. It's a fact and while we won't be happy about it, I think we all know that UT has the team to beat in 2009.

Cant call holding on that unless the Tech player was not allowing him out, And by that the Texas player had run to far on his speed rush and was spinning upfield back to his pass rush lane. And the Tech o-line hands slipped. Know like I said if the TT player was keeping the UT player in place or hindering the UT player from getting back into his rush lane then yes call holding, otherwise let the players play.

And by the way if they tackle crabtree it would not have mattered.

And TT O-line from last year is a bunch of ####, for the record

i'm a big longhorn fan...but i'm also one of those people who admires certain players so much from other teams, that even if my team loses, i'm still happy for that player...crabtree is one of those guys (harrell certainly is NOT!) its just one of those plays where after its over, and you have finished cursing your TV set, you sit back and tell yourself "crabtree is gonna really be something" another guy like that to me is noel devine of WV...i don't think he will be a good pro...cuz he is too small, but he is one of the funnest players to watch in the country.

texas will be very legit this year...OU doesn't understand yet how tough it is to completely rebuild a line. thats another thing texas figured out colts sophomore year. this years o line will be beastly for texas

K, first, I am not big, nor am I a man! UGH. Second, whine away that you lost the opportunity to go to the National Championship. Wake up and smell the coffee. That was a 3 way street in our conference last season, yet only the Horns whine so long and so consistently about the loss. There are always missed calls in every game. There are always fans that think there are more missed calls than there really are. There are always teams that give away great opportunities in each season (ie, UT losing to TT, TT then losing to OU) It is part of the game. We can rehash this and revisit the argument all you want, however, the loss will still be there and you will still sound like you are whining. Move on.................

Oh and yes, TT will most likely lose to UT in Austin this year. It's a fact and while we won't be happy about it, I think we all know that UT has the team to beat in 2009.

I'm not worried about the missed holding calls against Tech, and when I saw the block that sprung Shipley I immediately called it holding in my head and thought it was coming back. On the issue of the three-way tie, I didn't even bring that up, but that is another element that makes the Tech loss for UT very hard for me to swallow as a Longhorns fan. In every other major conference in the country UT would've gone to the conference championship game. Oh yes, I do understand all the coaches agreed upon it before the season, but that doesn't make it the best way to decide a three way tie. Rules are good and I feel should be followed unless they're stupid. George Washington and his band of traitors thought the rules England was forcing on them was stupid, and they changed the world.

I don't understand why our goofy conference wouldn't just swap the rules to make them like those of the SEC or ACC or Big 10 or whoever. I mean, what is so hard about saying "Okay, here's the new and improved rule on determining the winner of a three way tie."?

And again, as a Tech fan you do NOT understand and know what it's like to have been on the mountain top so you can't possibly relate to where UT fans are coming from.

tech.jpg

:sleeping:

What is this picture supposed to suggest? I don't see anything at all, and certainly not anything substantive to add to this discussion, but then consider the source.

Look, some of you seem to be a little reading comprehension challenged. I'll try to help you out. The question was, basically, how was a hold so blatant, so out in free "space", so near the ball NOT called. I did not argue anything in regards to the outcome of the football game or reference any other infraction, just this call.....comprende?

Now, carry on.

I'm not worried about the missed holding calls against Tech, and when I saw the block that sprung Shipley I immediately called it holding in my head and thought it was coming back. On the issue of the three-way tie, I didn't even bring that up, but that is another element that makes the Tech loss for UT very hard for me to swallow as a Longhorns fan. In every other major conference in the country UT would've gone to the conference championship game. Oh yes, I do understand all the coaches agreed upon it before the season, but that doesn't make it the best way to decide a three way tie. Rules are good and I feel should be followed unless they're stupid. George Washington and his band of traitors thought the rules England was forcing on them was stupid, and they changed the world.

I don't understand why our goofy conference wouldn't just swap the rules to make them like those of the SEC or ACC or Big 10 or whoever. I mean, what is so hard about saying "Okay, here's the new and improved rule on determining the winner of a three way tie."?

And again, as a Tech fan you do NOT understand and know what it's like to have been on the mountain top so you can't possibly relate to where UT fans are coming from.

I agree with almost everything you said, catluv, except the bolded portion above.

Are you seriously suggesting that because Texas fans (or any other fans, for that matter) disagree with or think that a rule is stupid, that the rules shouldn't be followed, that they should be blithely ignored if they are STUPID???

Tell me that that isn't what you meant!

Now, if you said that you thought that the rules were stupid, and that they should be changed, I might be able to agree with you on that point, but you would still need agreement from the rest of the conference decision-makers, and that point has already been discussed and dismissed, with the reasons thereof clearly justifiable.

Three critical words: Strength of schedule, and those same three words will probably come back and bite the Horns again this year should by some happenstance another 3 way tie ensues (maybe OU, UT & OSU this year). Probably won't happen, but who knows?

.... and if it DOES, I will head to Walgreens and buy a good set of earplugs; I am sure that I will need them... :D

I agree with almost everything you said, catluv, except the bolded portion above.

Are you seriously suggesting that because Texas fans (or any other fans, for that matter) disagree with or think that a rule is stupid, that the rules shouldn't be followed, that they should be blithely ignored if they are STUPID???

Now, if you said that you thought that the rules were stupid, and that they should be changed, I might be able to agree with you on that point, but you would still need agreement from the rest of the conference decision-makers, and that point has already been discussed and dismissed, with the reasons thereof clearly justifiable.

Three critical words: Strength of schedule, and those same three words will probably come back and bite the Horns again this year should by some happenstance another 3 way tie ensues (maybe OU, UT & OSU this year). Probably won't happen, but who knows?

.... and if it DOES, I will head to Walgreens and buy a good set of earplugs; I am sure that I will need them... :D

I'm suggesting the rules should be changed. Sorry, I did leave out the part that you should follow said rule until you can get it changed, which would require the remainder of the conference agreeing upon the change, but it is a stupid rule and should be changed.

Please quit using the SOS argument. The reason OU got the nod is because they impressed the computer geeks by scoring 60 pts 6 games in a row. Cincinatti was a pretty good team and so was TCU, but Washington was 0-12 and Ten-Chattanooga was 1-11 in the FCS.

As for that highly touted defense everybody keeps bragging about that returns 9 starters.....they gave up 26 to Cincy, 31 to Kansas, 35 to Kansas State, 45 to Texas, 28 to Nebraska and 41 to Oklahoma state. I think it might be a little overrated if you ask me..