One UIL rule you would change about high school sports

tjtwii

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people who might wear this one out LOL

I would change how people (parents, fans) could contribute to the individual sports instead of all sports. In other words, I don't know why a fan that wanted to contribute $10,000 to just a high school FOOTBALL program could not do that. The way that it must be handled now is to go into a General Operating fund and the Superintendent or CFO could distribute maybe $2K to football, $2K to girls softball, $2K to cheerleading and $4K to the sprinkler system behind the bus barn. I understand that all kids should be treated fairly and I agree with that, but people, this here is Texas and that is Lone Star Beer, pickup trucks, bluebonnetts on the highway and Texas High School Football on Friday nights. That's just how it is, and it is what it is.

:rock:

I would change how people (parents, fans) could contribute to the individual sports instead of all sports. In other words, I don't know why a fan that wanted to contribute $10,000 to just a high school FOOTBALL program could not do that. The way that it must be handled now is to go into a General Operating fund and the Superintendent or CFO could distribute maybe $2K to football, $2K to girls softball, $2K to cheerleading and $4K to the sprinkler system behind the bus barn. I understand that all kids should be treated fairly and I agree with that, but people, this here is Texas and that is Lone Star Beer, pickup trucks, bluebonnetts on the highway and Texas High School Football on Friday nights. That's just how it is, and it is what it is.

Sounds great...but if we did that, we could just send Highland Park (and the likes) the trophy EVERY year.

Personally, I'd like to see a 35 point mercy rule in the 4th quarter.

Yes, we all need a school our football team could be proud of. There is more to life than football and it's because there are people like you who think this way that they have this rule. I enjoy football, it's great a great pre-season to basketball. lol

I think that this would be a good rule to see changed. And I don't necessarily think that it would bring down other sports. There are always people at every school who support other sports. Yes, football would get more money than anything else most likely, but not at schools who have an established football team and facilities. People would donate more money to other sports that may not have the facilities, uniforms, etc. Money causes interest in the sport, and interest in a sport results in more kids getting involved.

this here is Texas and that is Lone Star Beer, pickup trucks, bluebonnetts on the highway and Texas High School Football on Friday nights. That's just how it is, and it is what it is.

I'm glad you don't represent everybody's opinion, even though many agree with you. Not everyone in Texas is a beer drinkin redneck that only likes football. I think I do agree with you though about donating money to certain sports. Football already gets enough money and attention. It would be nice to see people be able to donate money to some of the other programs, instead of having to send it to the "General Athletic fund" aka "Football fund". Since a lot of schools already have new weight rooms, turf fields, and indoor facilities, I'm curious as to what AD's are going to do next to pull the kids toward football. Maybe flatscreens in all the lockers? If all of the other sports are getting facilities that are equally as nice, then that is ok, but it seems like at some schools the football teams are getting luxury items, while other programs are actually in need of facilities, equipment, assistant coaches, etc. These things get overlooked by our football coaches/AD and football centric community. So, I think the rule to donate money to a certain sport might benefit all programs.

Sounds great...but if we did that, we could just send Highland Park (and the likes) the trophy EVERY year.

Personally, I'd like to see a 35 point mercy rule in the 4th quarter.

2000 Maud was down 40 at the start of the 4th quater playing Overton and those guys lost 43 to 41 it was one of the best games that i have ever saw in my day so i dont like the idea of a mercy rule "Its TEXAS FOOTBALL ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN"

2000 Maud was down 40 at the start of the 4th quater playing Overton and those guys lost 43 to 41 it was one of the best games that i have ever saw in my day so i dont like the idea of a mercy rule "Its TEXAS FOOTBALL ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN"

I completely agree. And also, if my team lost by 35 I would rather the papers say that than, "Losers by default" Football isn't meant to have a mercy rule.

I would like to see 15 minute quarters....and ( might get in trouble for this !) but limit halftime to 30 minutes. If need be , let one band perform before opening kick off

We gotta let the kids rest at halftime, please remember these are 16-18 year old kids. They give there heart and soul out there let the kids rest before they put it all out there for the second half.

There's something to be said about allowing a limited number of JV players also suit up (and potentially play) for a limited number of varsity games. It's allowed in softball. It also would help in player development. Make it a two- or three-player limit for perhaps a dozen games in team sports like basketball, baseball, and soccer and, perhaps, five games in football.

If someone wants to donate his/her money to a certain specific program, that should be no-ones business but theirs....this rule is one that I would like to see changed......

title ix

We gotta let the kids rest at halftime, please remember these are 16-18 year old kids. They give there heart and soul out there let the kids rest before they put it all out there for the second half.

halftime is thirty minutes each band is allotted fifteen minutes...refs can flag offending school ifn I remember correctly, i think it was a point of emphasis a few years back

title ix

Not trying to argue, because you do bring up a good point about Title IX being the reason the money is spread around, but if I personally want to donate money solely for, let's say the baseball team, why can't it just be them and leave it at that??

Now, me, personally, I love both baseball and softball so if I ever DID have the money to donate then I can guarantee you they'd both get a donation from me. But why should someone's donation be spread around??

Not trying to argue, because you do bring up a good point about Title IX being the reason the money is spread around, but if I personally want to donate money solely for, let's say the baseball team, why can't it just be them and leave it at that??

Now, me, personally, I love both baseball and softball so if I ever DID have the money to donate then I can guarantee you they'd both get a donation from me. But why should someone's donation be spread around??

Cuz IMO not every school will have a Boone Pickens... Wouldnt be fair to the other sports. This isnt the pros or college its high school... It would get out of hand fast if were allowed to happen.

Cuz IMO not every school will have a Boone Pickens... Wouldnt be fair to the other sports. This isnt the pros or college its high school... It would get out of hand fast if were allowed to happen.

Go back and read post #7.

I think it could IF there were some guidelines. By that I mean letting the people know upfront what their money will go towards. On the other hand Jim Bob might want to donate 15K to the football department cuz he's a diehard football fan. Then the school tells him no it will have to be spread around. IMO Jim Bob will keep his money.

I think it could IF there were some guidelines. By that I mean letting the people know upfront what their money will go towards. On the other hand Jim Bob might want to donate 15K to the football department cuz he's a diehard football fan. Then the school tells him no it will have to be spread around. IMO Jim Bob will keep his money.

What about only letting each person donate a certain amount each year to one specific program? For example telling Jim Bob that if he is going to donate to football he can only donate 1K per year. Same for every sport.

Limit teams making the playoffs to two. If there is an issue due to size disparity, then one which is above the median of all schools in a classification and one from below the classification. If there are no schools in either group in a district, then the largest and smallest school finishing in the top 4 in their district advance.

For example if you had a 4A district in the metroplex and the median enrollment is 1400 and every school in the district exceeded 1400, then the largest school (enrollment 1800) would advance in the the large school and the smallest school (enrollment 1500) would go small school provided they both at finished at least 4th.