Reallllly Nervous!

jaykay08

I am going to NYC this Thursday, and I need to know what I can do to better prepare myself. I have never been on a big plane before, and I know the rules and regulations (for the most part)....I just need to know what I can do to make this trip easier on me.

I am going to NYC this Thursday, and I need to know what I can do to better prepare myself. I have never been on a big plane before, and I know the rules and regulations (for the most part)....I just need to know what I can do to make this trip easier on me.

1) Carry-on....two bags which include a personal item....all liquids and gels must be in containers less than 3.5 oz and together in a 1 quart Ziploc bag

2) If checking your bags, disregard the above.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for a better seat. Go to the desk at the gate or ask the person at the ticket counter when you check your bags. Bulkhead seats have plenty of leg room.

4) If you've never been to NYC before, don't be afraid to use the subway system and wear comfortable shoes. If you're a walker, a lot of Manhattan can be covered by foot.

5) For the subway system, try www.hopstop.com. It's a really good resource for defining a subway route to a desired location. It's even better if you can access the site via a smart phone of some type.

6) In my opinion, the best pizza is at John's Pizzeria just off Times Square. It's at about 46th St and 8th Ave. Moderately priced and great pizza.

7) If you're a first-time visitor and not overly adventurous, spend $45 for a two day hop-on/hop-off pass on a NYC tour bus. It's a great way to see the sights that you may not easily find on your own.

8) In my opinion, best view in the city is from the "Top of the Rock" at Rockefeller Center. The tour of NBC Studios at Rockefeller Center isn't bad either.

9) If it's not too hot/humid, a great way to spend an afternoon is people watching and picture taking at Central Park.

10) If you're going to try and visit the Statue of Liberty, I would try and buy tickets online (before you leave) through the park service. I would expect lines are heavy because of the recent re-opening of the crown observatory.

11) David Letterman's show is taped at about 51st St and Broadway. If they're taping that day (starts about 5:00 pm), look for the side entrance one street back (I think 50th St). The side entrance is where that night's guests will enter the building and they'll have a small barricade set up if you want to try for autographs.

By far the best thing I've done in NYC the past 5-6 times I've been there is visiting the area around Ground Zero. In particular, St. Paul's Chapel which is one block up. Every time I have a chance, I go by there to revisit the story of that church's impact on the recovery efforts.

For eats, you want to avoid Times Square as much as possible (with the exception of John's Pizzeria of course). Most of the Times Square eateries are way over-priced.

If you enjoy Asian food, I can recommend China Mirch. It's in the area of about 23rd St and 2nd Ave. If you like Indian food, you gotta go by Brick Lane Curry House. It's the place made famous on the Travel Channel's Man vs Food. They are in the East Village at 306 East 6th Street.***Both of these places are very reasonably priced restaurants***

Hope that helped.

NYC is a great place.

No matter what anyone says, there is nothing on the wing.

Pray that you aren't sitting next to the 500 lb mouth breather, because odds are that part of him will be in your seat and they usually smell funny.

Dress comfortable, and I recommend wearing shoes that are easy to take on and off - It just makes it easier when you go through security.

Keep your eyes out for potential terrorists, have a plan to tackle and stab them with the ink pen that you put in your carry on. Don't be fooled by the guy in the turban, hes just the decoy.

If you are old enough and drink bring a couple of bucks to drink on the plane. For me it is tradition to have at least one drink at the Friday's in the airport(DFW). Bring some magazines or a book with you too. I always carry a backpack as my carry on with a few mags, book, and a portable DVD player. Every time I fly I check my bags and have always put a knife in it, I tell them when I am checking it and have never had a problem.

If you are flying on a big plane(767 or 777) just sit back and enjoy the takeoff, those suckers have some power and will put you in the seat at takeoff.

Also keep this in mind, you are being hurled through the air at 400+ miles per hour in a pressurized metal tube put together by parts from the lowest bidder. :thumbsup:

If you wear boots you are going to take them off soo much you will wish you had brought flip flops.

Also keep this in mind, you are being hurled through the air at 400+ miles per hour in a pressurized metal tube put together by parts from the lowest bidder. :thumbsup:

If you wear boots you are going to take them off soo much you will wish you had brought flip flops.

Well, THAT'S comforting for her!!

And I agree with the boot comment, I wore mine and kept'em off for about 20 minutes because of all of the trouble with the metal detectors and such..

1) Carry-on....two bags which include a personal item....all liquids and gels must be in containers less than 3.5 oz and together in a 1 quart Ziploc bag

2) If checking your bags, disregard the above.

3) Don't be afraid to ask for a better seat. Go to the desk at the gate or ask the person at the ticket counter when you check your bags. Bulkhead seats have plenty of leg room.

4) If you've never been to NYC before, don't be afraid to use the subway system and wear comfortable shoes. If you're a walker, a lot of Manhattan can be covered by foot.

5) For the subway system, try www.hopstop.com. It's a really good resource for defining a subway route to a desired location. It's even better if you can access the site via a smart phone of some type.

6) In my opinion, the best pizza is at John's Pizzeria just off Times Square. It's at about 46th St and 8th Ave. Moderately priced and great pizza.

7) If you're a first-time visitor and not overly adventurous, spend $45 for a two day hop-on/hop-off pass on a NYC tour bus. It's a great way to see the sights that you may not easily find on your own.

8) In my opinion, best view in the city is from the "Top of the Rock" at Rockefeller Center. The tour of NBC Studios at Rockefeller Center isn't bad either.

9) If it's not too hot/humid, a great way to spend an afternoon is people watching and picture taking at Central Park.

10) If you're going to try and visit the Statue of Liberty, I would try and buy tickets online (before you leave) through the park service. I would expect lines are heavy because of the recent re-opening of the crown observatory.

11) David Letterman's show is taped at about 51st St and Broadway. If they're taping that day (starts about 5:00 pm), look for the side entrance one street back (I think 50th St). The side entrance is where that night's guests will enter the building and they'll have a small barricade set up if you want to try for autographs.

By far the best thing I've done in NYC the past 5-6 times I've been there is visiting the area around Ground Zero. In particular, St. Paul's Chapel which is one block up. Every time I have a chance, I go by there to revisit the story of that church's impact on the recovery efforts.

For eats, you want to avoid Times Square as much as possible (with the exception of John's Pizzeria of course). Most of the Times Square eateries are way over-priced.

If you enjoy Asian food, I can recommend China Mirch. It's in the area of about 23rd St and 2nd Ave. If you like Indian food, you gotta go by Brick Lane Curry House. It's the place made famous on the Travel Channel's Man vs Food. They are in the East Village at 306 East 6th Street.***Both of these places are very reasonably priced restaurants***

Hope that helped.

NYC is a great place.

If I ever go to NYC, you're coming with.

I fly at least once a month overseas or to Canada and have spent a lot of time on planes and in airports. Therefore I have learned a lot on business travel.

An exit row also has additional leg room.

Try to avoid a middle seat so that you do not have people on either side of you.

Do not try to be funny when going through security. Just do as they say else you might get pulled aside by trying to make a funny about security. They take it serious.

Wear comfortable clothing.

If you have nasal congestion take some nose spray with you to inhale just prior to boarding the plane to clear your sinuses. There is no pain like an ear ache on a plane due to the pressure not relieving in your ears. Chewing gum helps for some people also.

I prefer aisle seats but you being a first time flyer you may want to get a window seat to enjoy the view. You can get some really cool photos from the plane.

People get irritated if you stand too long in the aisle adjusting/storing your luggage while loading. If possible step into your seat area to do your business.

Take your own snacks onto the plane. The airlines do not cater like they used to. Plus the prices are way too high for what you get.

Bring your own entertainment. In flight entertainment is hit-or-miss.

Bring your own headphones. They usually charge money for theirs and they are not very good.

Most of the traveling that I do is international and the flights are 10 to 15 hours long and I like to sleep. So if you are a sleeper then I would recommend an U-shaped neck pillow for head support.

Be aware of your surroundings. Size up the people. Know where the exits are.

Avoid doing number 2 in the lavatory! Go before you board!

Enjoy your flight and hopefully you will get a decent neighbor for the flight.

I just saw the movie "Taken" so I am a little scared now. lol I am afraid of getting sick on the plane and becoming claustrophobic. I went on a cruise last summer, and they were really strict on security as well, but they were just doing their job so I just did everything they said and it went fine. I also worry about them doing "random security checks" because my best friend's last name is Ahmed, and she is going with me. lol she always gets stopped. She is Egyptian, but her mom and dad divorced because her dad was trying to push his muslim beliefs too far on the family, so she was raised christian and is proud of it. She went to Grace. lol anyways, I'm just always worried something bad is going to happen. I need to lighten up.

I just saw the movie "Taken" so I am a little scared now. lol I am afraid of getting sick on the plane and becoming claustrophobic. I went on a cruise last summer, and they were really strict on security as well, but they were just doing their job so I just did everything they said and it went fine. I also worry about them doing "random security checks" because my best friend's last name is Ahmed, and she is going with me. lol she always gets stopped. She is Egyptian, but her mom and dad divorced because her dad was trying to push his muslim beliefs too far on the family, so she was raised christian and is proud of it. She went to Grace. lol anyways, I'm just always worried something bad is going to happen. I need to lighten up.

:rofl: You said it not me....;)

You'll be fine Jay. :thumbsup:

As far as the movie "Taken" is concerned, it's an EXCELLENT movie, eh?

Okay, so as to not get off topic.......

Again, for getting sick, take Dramamine, it truly does help :thumbsup:...I can't remember whether it helps with headaches too (I imagine it does though). I had to take it after our flight to Miami with Aggie Football in '07 because we flew in what seemed like a toy airplane.....LOL! I did get nauseas on our way there, but took the Dramamine on the flight back and had no trouble at all. Needless to say after that I bought my own Dramamine and took one before every one of our flight trips. :)

Where might I find this dramamine you speak of?

It should be in the Pharmacy section of most any store with a pharmacy....I imagine Brookshire's has it, and Walgreen's and CVS definitely will! (It's an OTC medicine).

Dramamine Original Formula

Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula

Dramamine Chewable-Formula

:thumbsup: I had the Original Formula, and given that it can make you drowsy (although I never did get drowsy) you yourself might want that one.

It should be in the Pharmacy section of most any store with a pharmacy....I imagine Brookshire's has it, and Walgreen's and CVS definitely will! (It's an OTC medicine).

:thumbsup: I had the Original Formula, and given that it can make you drowsy (although I never did get drowsy) you yourself might want that one.

I'm a lightweight, Delap. lol I'll be on the plane a few hours though so I'll definately get some sleep. :)

What airline are you flying? Have you looked online to see what type of aircraft it is?

American Airlines and I'll have to check the plane later. I have to go to work. The info is in my email. I'll check it later.

Just say it delap! Wal Mart carries Dramamine! And, I recommend the chewable. Tastes ok and I think it works faster. I do recommend to start taking it at least 24 hours before you get on the plane, especially if you are prone to any motion sickness!

Just say it delap! Wal Mart carries Dramamine! And, I recommend the chewable. Tastes ok and I think it works faster. I do recommend to start taking it at least 24 hours before you get on the plane, especially if you are prone to any motion sickness!

:rofl: :rofl: I knew someone would come back and say it for me!!!