Time to lower the drinking age?

parentofredheads

I wouldn't mind seeing the legal drinking age dropped to 19. The problem with 18 is it would include high school students. I don't want to head over to Applebees and see half my baseball team legally drinking at the bar.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with the opinion of the writer. Using the same logic, we should make illegal drugs legal. Maybe there is a lot of people that do not have a problem with that, but I'm not one of them.

Ypu don't correct behavior by changing the rules to allow it. How about mandatory classes on alcohal abuse to all incoming fresham, and follow up intervention or expusion if not corrected. Change the behavior not the law.

How about if one who is underage gets cuaght they have to work thier finey off push mowing a mile stretch of grass along the highways. Just tell em when they get it all done they can go home and thier record is clean

Think how much money the government could save.

Might as well make em work up a thirst.

They would either think twice or mow a lot of grass either way they would be puished.

I agree with Lhornfan. Lowering it to 18 means high school seniors can legally drink. Alcohol abuse is already a problem with underage drinkers. I don't think it should be more convenient. I don't want to watch my students drinking. There's just something disturbing about that.

JV Coach is right, too. Put some teeth into the law and show our kiddos that there are consequences to breaking the law, and some might think twice. Right now, a lot of students use fear of getting caught as a reason not to drink. Sometimes that's the best argument they can give to keep from succumbing to peer pressure.

This topic is a relentless one that I don't think will ever be settled.........I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

While I do see the stance on, "They're 18, they can die for this country, let'em have a cold one."

I also know the cold hard facts on what alcohol can do to a person when they aren't mature enough (and even when they legally are).

I've seen grown men whither away while their families suffer the consequences of their drinking.

While I jumped on the horn many times in the past about letting'em have their beer, I now look at it from a different perspective.....(a more enlightened perspective, if you will :thumbsup:)

So, to answer the question, "Time to lower the drinking age?"

To quote a great friend, "I vote an emphatic NO."

My cousin used to tell me that drinking didn't make him do stupid things, it helped him NOT CARE about doing the stupid things. I realize that can happen at any age whenever someone chooses to drink, but I just think some of the consequences are much greater the younger kids are. NO junior/senior should be able to buy alcohol. Again, that just makes it too convenient to buy for and influence younger kids. It's easy enough as it is.

From reading the article, RAISING it didn't do much to alleviate any of the problems, either...the only thing that is going to end any of the problems is for people to turn to God and obey Him......

:highfive: EXACTLY!

Kid's in the 80's were drinking at parties in High School. It's still happening now. Once I turned 18, you could head over to Shreveport/Bossier and drink. I don't have a problem with lowering the age. There are responsibilities when it comes to drinking alcohol. I don't expect all people to be teetotalers. I don't mind people that abstain. I think if you can vote, get married, serve your country, pay taxes, and you want to wind down with a cold one, no problems. I'd rather hang out with a beer drinker than a dope smoker, regardless of what they say beer/wine drinkers have more brain cells than a dope head. You get tired of hearing "hey man".

If they are in the service, let em drink at the NCO, enlisted mens club on post or base--use that 3.2% beer they gave us at Fort Riley. Didnt need much as we were in such great shape!! Too many 18 year olds ourt here lacking maturity.

When I was at Ft. Bliss that is exactly what they did. We were allowed to drink on post. They figured it was safer to let us do that then go out drinking in the city of El Paso.

i figure it this way keep the age at 21 unless your carrying a military ID card that says your a member of the armed forces. then...whatever age you are is good!

that solves the old problem of if your old enough to fight and die your old enough to drink. you wanna drink when your 18...sign up! otherwise...wait a few more years.

When I was at Ft. Bliss that is exactly what they did. We were allowed to drink on post. They figured it was safer to let us do that then go out drinking in the city of El Paso.

I don't think it was El Paso that they were worried about. It was Ciudad Juarez.

All very valid points, and I was with Colmes on this initially... if they can die for our country, etc., but ONLY the servicemen should be ABLE to on base, and ONLY on base! Good idea on that one.

Truthfully, I don't think it's going to matter what age it is... 16, 17, 18 or 21... if kids want to drink, they're going to find a way. I think the people who are supplying these kiddos with the alcohol are the ones who should SUFFER - if they went after those type of people, that would help!!!!

I totally agree, these kids these days are EXTREMELY immature. Most of 'em can't walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time!

I agree there needs to be a lot more information out to the kiddos, literally HAMMERING it in their heads! A very good point was also made, about IRRESPONSIBLE parents, who pass things on to kids... I've seen this first hand to a couple of genuises (literally) in our family, that had the world by the tail, everything offerred to them free, and they blew it, because they got so heavy into alcohol, which was a total waste!

As far as making the rules if you break the law... mowing grass... I'd prefer they WEEDEAT the highways...but then that would be too easy, but too hard for government beaurecracy.

If they are in the service, let em drink at the NCO, enlisted mens club on post or base--use that 3.2% beer they gave us at Fort Riley. Didnt need much as we were in such great shape!! Too many 18 year olds ourt here lacking maturity.

Right on. Let em drink on base. Cause I don't want the 18 year olds that have been in for 3 or 4 months following me to the bar!

On a side note, It doesn't matter that there is a law in place -- Teens are going to drink. I know, because my friends and I did. By the grace of God we never got caught! lol

I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18. Legally you are seen as an adult at 18.

The "21 to drink" law never stopped me from drinking when I was underage. Very few underage people back then had problems getting alcohol, underage people still get alcohol easy enough today. The binge drinking incidents would probably go down but it would still happen if the age was lowered back to 18.

As far as 18 year old high schoolers being allowed to drink legally it doesn't really change anything. Plenty of them drink already... you just don't see them in public. If you are a high school coach, institute rules against your athletes drinking, if such rules are not already in place.

In the end, no matter what your age, it is a matter as to being personally responsible for your actions while drinking.

Not to be negative or get off the subject here, that is exactly my thoughts on employers that enable and encourage illegal entry in the country by hiring illegal aliens.

True, true (could name lots of companies in trouble for that now). Would be even nicer if someone actually upheld our Constitution of no illegal entry!