Russian Subs off OUR East Coast

OldSchool

Yeah, sure, just like 9/11. You betcha... We heard after the fact, after thousands of people lost their lives. Sure, yeah, they were right on top of it... good job Mr. Offensive Defense!

You're quite the military mind there parent. I've never heard that the military was responsible for 911. You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, sure, just like 9/11. You betcha... We heard after the fact, after thousands of people lost their lives. Sure, yeah, they were right on top of it... good job Mr. Offensive Defense!

What are you actually saying here?

Do you want machine gun toting soldiers doing police work in airports? There are lots of good reasons not to do this, not the least of which is that soldiering and police work is mutually exclusive. Just because both cops and soldiers have guns doesn't mean the job is the same.

I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what else the military could do about the specific set of circumstances of the hijackings of 9/11, given that we still have civilian air liners carrying passengers and large quantities of fuel at 500 miles per hour over American cities. Hard to make them pull over for an inspection.

I don't think Blue was suggesting that "offensive defense" is the only thing needed. Obviously, it's not.

What are you actually saying here?

Do you want machine gun toting soldiers doing police work in airports? There are lots of good reasons not to do this, not the least of which is that soldiering and police work is mutually exclusive. Just because both cops and soldiers have guns doesn't mean the job is the same.

I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what else the military could do about the specific set of circumstances of the hijackings of 9/11, given that we still have civilian air liners carrying passengers and large quantities of fuel at 500 miles per hour over American cities. Hard to make them pull over for an inspection.

I don't think Blue was suggesting that "offensive defense" is the only thing needed. Obviously, it's not.

The only one who can move the military is the government... you know, the government that we have today, you know, the ones that go around touting "I'm sorry".

9/11 would've never happened, had the military been able to do it's job years before.

I suggest to you, it doesn't take too much of a way to figure out how to get 200 miles off our border and shoot something.

The only one who can move the military is the government... you know, the government that we have today, you know, the ones that go around touting "I'm sorry".

9/11 would've never happened, had the military been able to do it's job years before.

I suggest to you, it doesn't take too much of a way to figure out how to get 200 miles off our border and shoot something.

WOW! Your hate for the Obama administration has turned you into a tyrant. :thumbdown:

What is the real argument here?Is it the 200 mile distance?Is there anyone one here who seriously thinks our subs have not been 200 miles off a Russian coast line?Or that we are not sitting just off the coast of North Korea or Iran?You can be alot farther off the coast and still hit the USA with a missle.I do not like our current administration either but I also know our military would protect us if it needed to.

Maybe true. But figuring out when to shoot is a little tougher when the enemy flies out of Logan International.

Sorry I forgot you were a BluePirate arrrrrrr

Really I think this has a lot more to do with how Obama has shown major weakness in his short term as Prez then anything else. This is the second country that has come real close to our "waters" ,but we watch em real good, since B.O. has become comander-in-chief. Obama has given an order for our men on the ground not to shoot when shot at in Afghaniland so I do not doubt our navys strength I just doubt how much we strength we are allowed to use.

----

I am not an Obama supporter by any means, but in this particular situation he didn't show weakness IMO. He did the right thing, but doing nothing. There was no reason for a military strike on the Russian subs - they didn't do anything wrong. And do you think our country could afford to go to war with Russia over this little incident? Because that is exactly what would have happend if we had taken up arms against them. No we absolutely could NOT! And as far as your Afghaniland comment - thats not true - I know people over there and they are still shooting back on a daily basis.

Some of you are to hypervigilante. Contrary to popular belief, we can't go around blowing up every Joe Blow that wants to mess with us. If we did that - we would have combat troops fighting in a number of places all around the globe, and we simply could not afford that or keep the man power necessary for that sort of fight. Trust me when we are truly provoked - we will strike back.

I am not an Obama supporter by any means, but in this particular situation he didn't show weakness IMO. He did the right thing, but doing nothing. There was no reason for a military strike on the Russian subs - they didn't do anything wrong. And do you think our country could afford to go to war with Russia over this little incident? Because that is exactly what would have happend if we had taken up arms against them. No we absolutely could NOT! And as far as your Afghaniland comment - thats not true - I know people over there and they are still shooting back on a daily basis.

Some of you are to hypervigilante. Contrary to popular belief, we can't go around blowing up every Joe Blow that wants to mess with us. If we did that - we would have combat troops fighting in a number of places all around the globe, and we simply could not afford that or keep the man power necessary for that sort of fight. Trust me when we are truly provoked - we will strike back.

Doc, with all due respect, see if I can explain my point of view a bit...

I don't think I, nor anyone else here, has said that we start bombing subs off our coast... not saying that at all. However, what we would like to see is, "Russian subs 200 miles off our coast, U.S. military on heightened alert." or something to that effect.

The point I'm trying to make is, we've been caught with our pants down before, and look what happened. Had our military, FBI and CIA been unleashed before, a lot of American lives would not have been lost. That's the point, whether it be 9/11, Iraq or Afghanastan. None of us, absolutely none of us want to see our young men and women in harm's way. Not to mention, had our military of old been unleashed, there's no way we would've been in Afghanastan and Iraq as long as we have, with Osama Bin Laden still floating around.

Another point is, the lackluster and shall I say, no bricks in the britches of a President and Congress we have at this moment IS THE PROBLEM, not our fine men and women of the military. We know they can do their job, IF, and ONLY IF they're released to do it.

Another point is, the lackluster and shall I say, no bricks in the britches of a President and Congress we have at this moment IS THE PROBLEM, not our fine men and women of the military. We know they can do their job, IF, and ONLY IF they're released to do it.

An excellent point...when the military is micromanaged by politicians, we are not successful.....when the military is allowed to do their jobs, no one can stand before us.......

what we would like to see is, "Russian subs 200 miles off our coast, U.S. military on heightened alert." or something to that effect.

Thats a given. Trust me, regardless of what the lame duck President is doing or saying, our military is still out there doing its job. We keep our eyes on things like that - theres alot of things that happen and that the military does to protect us that goes unreported. Theres just some things that are better kept a secret.

Thats a given. Trust me, regardless of what the lame duck President is doing or saying, our military is still out there doing its job. We keep our eyes on things like that - theres alot of things that happen and that the military does to protect us that goes unreported. Theres just some things that are better kept a secret.

Good Post Doc

So you want us to go pick a fight every time a foreign military comes close to America's shores? That ain't gonna happen. If there had been a legitimate threat, then our Navy would have taken to the proper actions to protect our country. The rules of escalation of force are very strict. The Russian subs floating in International Waters, no matter how close to U.S. Waters, did not show hostile intent and was not classified as a hostile act, therefore engaging them with combat action was not authorized. Like I said before, If there was a threat, our Navy would neutralize the enemy before you even heard it was happening.

I'm incensed everyday that the MDCM (Mexican Drug Cartel Military) is allowed to invade our Nation. The MDCM is more powerful than the Mexican Army. They have been here for years, and we still haven't stopped them or attempted to stop them.

I see what you and Blue are saying, and perhaps BHO gave them permission. I don't like it one bit. They can do their maneuvers elsewhere.

The point I'm trying to make is, we've been caught with our pants down before, and look what happened. Had our military, FBI and CIA been unleashed before, a lot of American lives would not have been lost. That's the point, whether it be 9/11, Iraq or Afghanastan. None of us, absolutely none of us want to see our young men and women in harm's way. Not to mention, had our military of old been unleashed, there's no way we would've been in Afghanastan and Iraq as long as we have, with Osama Bin Laden still floating around.

Two historical events come immediately to mind to dispute your point.

1. Pearl Harbor

2. Vietnam

1. The roosevelt administration knew about the upcoming attack....they refused to act on it because they wanted us in the war.....

2. The Gulf of Tonkin incident was manufactured by johnson so he could escalate our involvement in vietnam.....

Doc, with all due respect, see if I can explain my point of view a bit...

I don't think I, nor anyone else here, has said that we start bombing subs off our coast... not saying that at all. However, what we would like to see is, "Russian subs 200 miles off our coast, U.S. military on heightened alert." or something to that effect.

You have NO idea what the Navy did to 'relocate' the subs, as it should be. For some reason, you assume the Navy stood idle. I'm betting sonobouys were dropped all over them.

BTW... Heightened alert would do nothing to move the subs.

You have NO idea what the Navy did to 'relocate' the subs, as it should be. For some reason, you assume the Navy stood idle. I'm betting sonobouys were dropped all over them.

BTW... Heightened alert would do nothing to move the subs.

You have NO IDEA either... do you?

Betting don't get it, does it?

Two historical events come immediately to mind to dispute your point.

1. Pearl Harbor

2. Vietnam

My way of thinking, you just VERIFIED my point... after the fact.

You have NO IDEA either... do you?

Betting don't get it, does it?

Wrong. I do have a good idea of what they did, as I was in the Navy. Clearly, you have absolutely NO concept of how the Navy operates.

A statement by U.S. Northern Command confirmed the American military's tracking of the Russian submarines. "We have been monitoring them during transit and recognize the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law," said the statement. LINK

I bet right... obviously.

BTW, "heightened alert" gets squat.

Wrong. I do have a good idea of what they did, as I was in the Navy. Clearly, you have absolutely NO concept of how the Navy operates.

A statement by U.S. Northern Command confirmed the American military's tracking of the Russian submarines. "We have been monitoring them during transit and recognize the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law," said the statement. LINK

BOOYAH!

Hmm sounds like we were on top of things the whole time to me...

Then why didn't you post it before?

Now see... that was easy, wasn't it? LOL!

If any of you are interested there is a great book out by one of my favorite people...George Friedman, ...The book is "The Next 100 Years"...i just finished it, and it was pretty good. He talks of a coming "Second Cold War" between the US and Russia that wont be as intense as the last but its well worth reading!!

Also,...check out his organization....STRATFOR,...Headquartered in Austin..

heres the link

http://www.stratfor.com/