20 "chick flicks" that even a guy can enjoy

cheaptrick77

(by BARRY KOLTNOW | Orange County Register)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.4ba7cb6.html

It's not easy being a man right now.

The action movies have come and gone, and there are not one, but two, chick flicks in theaters. One, (500) Days of Summer, is better than the other, The Ugly Truth, but there is a good chance that your significant other will want to see both. And if that's not enough, the queen of chick flicks – writer-director Nora Ephron – has a movie opening Friday (Julie & Julia).

Yes, these are difficult times for men.

But I want to suggest to you guys that chick flicks don't have to be as painful as you think. They're not all Steel Magnolias and The English Patient.

Some of them actually are not horrible for men.

Here are some examples of chick flicks that are enjoyable for men who are in touch with their feminine side without losing touch of their beer-can-crushing-against-their- forehead masculine side.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006): OK, it was about the fashion industry, but you have to admit that Meryl Streep played a character so tough that she could have been played by The Rock.

Pretty Woman (1990): It sounds girly, but it has hot cars and hookers.

Jerry Maguire (1996): Football completes us.

Notting Hill (1999): Who among us has not imagined that if we could just meet a movie star or supermodel, we would sweep them off their feet?

The Bodyguard (1992): Elbows to the nose, gun battles and arm slings. It's hard to believe women liked this movie.

Love Actually (2003): Hugh Grant's silly dance at 10 Downing Street made us all feel better about our manhood.

Miss Congeniality (2000): Sandra Bullock played a klutzy FBI agent so well that it looked like one of us trying to pass at a beauty pageant.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002): Good food scenes and a crazy father with a bottle of Windex.

As Good as It Gets (1997): Two words: Jack and Nicholson. He doesn't even belong in a chick flick.

When Harry Met Sally (1989): Although director Rob Reiner ripped off Woody Allen, the orgasm scene in the deli makes it worthwhile.

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994): Hugh Grant was pretty unknown to American audiences, and British romantic comedies had not inundated our theaters yet.

Muriel's Wedding (1994): Lots of ABBA and spandex. Sounds bad, but works for guys, too.

My Best Friend's Wedding (1997): Julia Roberts showing her true colors.

You've Got Mail (1998): A cautionary tale for guys who think it's a good idea to write love notes over the Internet.

Sleepless in Seattle (1993): This film usually is at the top of any list of favorite chick flicks, and we're not going to lie to you, guys: This is to women what The Godfather is to guys.

Mamma Mia! (2008): See Muriel's Wedding (above).

Legally Blonde (2001): Well, there is a sorority house scene.

Titanic (1997): Some clever marketing guys promoted this as a chick flick, but we knew better.

The Notebook (2004): This is a tough one. Good acting performances and a good twist probably isn't enough, so grin and bear it.

Sex And The City: The Movie (2008): This one has a naked dude, so it's hard to sell as a man-friendly flick. Go to the concession stand during the offending scene and think about Samantha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only agree with two of the movies listed: Muriel's Wedding and When Harry Met Sally .......... the other 18 = :sleeping:

...and I want to see (500) Days of Summer.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006): OK, it was about the fashion industry, but you have to admit that Meryl Streep played a character so tough that she could have been played by The Rock. I really don't mind "chick flicks" all that much, I'll watch most any movie once......but THIS movie was TERRIBLE!!!!! Girlfriend dragged me to see it....one of the few movies I didn't have ANY desire to see.

Pretty Woman (1990): It sounds girly, but it has hot cars and hookers. My entire family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and my immediate family all like this movie. It's just a good movie.

Jerry Maguire (1996): Football completes us. It was a "chick flick"??? :blink:

You've Got Mail (1998): A cautionary tale for guys who think it's a good idea to write love notes over the Internet. It's weird to think that this was made in 1998. It's amazing how far along technology has come, I'll have to rent this one and watch it again. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan do a good job in this movie, IMHO.

Sleepless in Seattle (1993): This film usually is at the top of any list of favorite chick flicks, and we're not going to lie to you, guys: This is to women what The Godfather is to guys. I thought Gone With The Wind was the "The Godfather" of chick flicks?? Or at least WHAT The Godfather is to guys.....

Titanic (1997): Some clever marketing guys promoted this as a chick flick, but we knew better. Great movie. Very cool to see the way people dressed during the time period, even if that's the only "factual" part of the movie. I liked viewing the old cars in the lower deck.......very curvy...:wub:..:rofl:

The Notebook (2004): This is a tough one. Good acting performances and a good twist probably isn't enough, so grin and bear it. This is a great movie even if the love story is cheesy. I know of a few couples that can relate to it. Rachel McAdams is gorgeous. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and I want to see (500) Days of Summer. There have been quite a few commercials about it.....might be interesting......

I like "Gone With The Wind", "When Harry Met Sally", and "As Good as It Gets" as chick flicks go.

I did see "Pretty Woman" (forced I might add), and completely thought it was horrible. Then again horseheads face always messes up a good movie. I can't think of a single movie with Julia Roberts in it. I could have enjoyed "The Mexican", but everytime I see her face: :sick: .

One Woman's Perspective ~ MINE!!! LOL!:

The Devil Wears Prada (2006): Good ~ really close to reality.

Pretty Woman (1990): Have never watched it - don't like Tom Cruise

Jerry Maguire (1996): Nope

Notting Hill (1999): Yuck

The Bodyguard (1992): This woman didn't watch it. If I'm going to watch Kevin Costner, I'll watch Dances With Wolves or Tin Cup

Love Actually (2003): Couldn't sit through it

Miss Congeniality (2000): LOVE Sandra Bullock - CRASH is still one of her best!

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002): Funny movie

As Good as It Gets (1997): LOVE this movie! "You make me want to be a better man." That line works, guys!

When Harry Met Sally (1989): Nothing special

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994): Watched the first three minutes and turned it off.

Muriel's Wedding (1994): Never saw it - never had any desire to

My Best Friend's Wedding (1997): Too true

You've Got Mail (1998): One of my favorites - Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks - everyone should have that kind of chemistry!

Sleepless in Seattle (1993): See above note.

Mamma Mia! (2008): Meryl Streep and the music of Abba saved this movie

Legally Blonde (2001): Cute, but nothing special

Titanic (1997): Two hours too long - just sink the darn boat already!!!!

The Notebook (2004): This one hits too close to home.

Sex And The City: The Movie (2008): Yuck

And, Mustangmania, Monster-in-Law is classic!!!!

Does "Gone With The Wind" count"???

I think it's a chick flick, but Rhett Butlers comments to Miss Scarlett made it more than a chick flick to me. It was written by a woman, and it's a romantic movie.

It's sort of like Valley Girl, When Harry Met Sally, Casablanca and Pretty in Pink. It shows the soft side men have with women. Tombstone was on the verge of being a chick flick, but there was too much action in it. Many women may not find this romantic, but one of my favorite quotes from Tombstone is "Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle". It's somewhat crude, but I like it.

i like just about all types of movies and like i tell my sons, chickflicks are where the chicks are.....

The Devil Wears Prada (2006): OK, it was about the fashion industry, but you have to admit that Meryl Streep played a character so tough that she could have been played by The Rock. i liked the acting more than the film.

Pretty Woman (1990): It sounds girly, but it has hot cars and hookers. i thought this one was a very funny movie.

Jerry Maguire (1996): Football completes us. i don't see how anyone couldn't like, rod tidwell, his brother tp, or one scene in particular with kelly preston

Notting Hill (1999): Who among us has not imagined that if we could just meet a movie star or supermodel, we would sweep them off their feet? not a big hugh grant fan but i thought the supporting cast was very good.

The Bodyguard (1992): Elbows to the nose, gun battles and arm slings. It's hard to believe women liked this movie. probably my least favorite on the list.

Love Actually (2003): Hugh Grant's silly dance at 10 Downing Street made us all feel better about our manhood. probably my favorite on the list. takes a couple of times to put all the pieces together.

Miss Congeniality (2000): Sandra Bullock played a klutzy FBI agent so well that it looked like one of us trying to pass at a beauty pageant. not wild about this one. did have some funny moments though

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002): Good food scenes and a crazy father with a bottle of Windex. the whole two totally different cultures trying to mesh was the funniest part for me. i liked this movie a lot.

As Good as It Gets (1997): Two words: Jack and Nicholson. He doesn't even belong in a chick flick. one of my favorites on the list. sometimes jack needs a little blue pill and sometimes he doesn't

When Harry Met Sally (1989): Although director Rob Reiner ripped off Woody Allen, the orgasm scene in the deli makes it worthwhile. billy crystal was hilarious in this one to me.

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994): Hugh Grant was pretty unknown to American audiences, and British romantic comedies had not inundated our theaters yet. very funny movie once you get into it.

Muriel's Wedding (1994): Lots of ABBA and spandex. Sounds bad, but works for guys, too. huge toni collette fan and this was my first glance at her.

My Best Friend's Wedding (1997): Julia Roberts showing her true colors. julia, cameron, and rachel griffiths all in one movie plus it was very funny. dermot mulroney fan since long gone

You've Got Mail (1998): A cautionary tale for guys who think it's a good idea to write love notes over the Internet. entertaining but would've been better if f-o-x let her keep her shop

Sleepless in Seattle (1993): This film usually is at the top of any list of favorite chick flicks, and we're not going to lie to you, guys: This is to women what The Godfather is to guys. i liked this one a great deal but not as much as when harry met sally

Mamma Mia! (2008): See Muriel's Wedding (above). had my doubts, but i thought it was a good movie.

Legally Blonde (2001): Well, there is a sorority house scene. reese and i'm in

Titanic (1997): Some clever marketing guys promoted this as a chick flick, but we knew better. hey 25 million elvis fans can't be wrong

The Notebook (2004): This is a tough one. Good acting performances and a good twist probably isn't enough, so grin and bear it. very clever movie to me.

Sex And The City: The Movie (2008): This one has a naked dude, so it's hard to sell as a man-friendly flick. Go to the concession stand during the offending scene and think about Samantha. just because i like the girls, but not a very good movie to me.

...and I want to see (500) Days of Summer.

The lovely Ms. dragged me to a "chick-flick" this past week while vacationing in Southern Cali. The movie was "The Ugly Truth" and it was friggin' hilarious. I liked it so much we saw it twice. Gerard Butler was unbelievable. Plenty of great "guy" one-liners.

• 8 years later...