Gotta question for the military people

parentofredheads

Cousin's out of town, so I can't ask him.

Here's the questions and then I'll explain...

1) If a soldier gets killed in active duty, does his widow and children receive his pay for the rest of her/their lives?

2) If a soldier gets killed in active duty, does his children receive a free college education?

3) If a soldier is wounded, does he receive his full compensation till his death?

4) If a soldier fulfills his sign-up requirements, does he receive compensation from thereon?

And I'm sure I have other questions, but these are what come to mind.

This is the reason why I'm asking, and why I thought of it.

I was thinking about how every Congressman, whether they serve 2 years or 20, they get govt. healthcare, and their pay for the rest of their lives...

Granted some congressmen have served their country... I just wondered which had the better benefits... the solders who fight for our freedoms, or the ones who usurp the very thing our soldiers fight and die for.

1) If a soldier gets killed in active duty, does his widow and children receive his pay for the rest of her/their lives?

2) If a soldier gets killed in active duty, does his children receive a free college education?

3) If a soldier is wounded, does he receive his full compensation till his death?

4) If a soldier fulfills his sign-up requirements, does he receive compensation from thereon?

Don't quote me on truth, but this is what I do know.

1) As far as I know they don't, unless he was in the service for 20 years + this is only for the spouse. They will recieve SSN benefits.

2) Not that I'm aware of, there are scholarships that they may apply for that may pay for tuition. This is not a given.

3) No, the only way that the soldier is if the soldier suffers a disability due to the injury. There are review boards that will weigh the severity of the disablity. This can range by different percentages.

5) They must serve at least 20 years to gain a partial retirement. To gain a full retirement they must serve 30 years. I'm unsure of the percentages that they recieve in the years between 20 -30. I do know that they recieve 50 % after serving 20 years. I'm not sure how much this has changed in the past 10 years.

However, if service man takes a job as a civil servant their time in the military counts towards their retirement. They are also awarded points on a civil service exam. This is an option. My dad served 4 years in the military and 26 years with the USPS. He recieved his full pension, and the insurance provided was great. It was far superior than an uncle that had a 100% disability from the military, and had to go to the VA for treatment. My uncle was able to use the commissary which helped, because his injuries occured in 1952 in the Korean War and his disability check was decent, but military pay isn't as high as civil service pay.

Even those that retire under the civil service plan do not recieve a big pension. It's enough to "live" on, but not to be extravagant. I hope this helps

These are great questions. There is no reason why these men and their family's are not taken care of, but I did have to turn you in to - Tell on your friends.gov - Expect a visit from Acorn tommorow

These are great questions. There is no reason why these men and their family's are not taken care of, but I did have to turn you in to - Tell on your friends.gov - Expect a visit from Acorn tommorow

Don't worry parentofredheads....I'll save you a cell next to mine..... :whome:

LOL! Bring 'em!!!!!!!! How many points do I get for uh, getting me some Acorn? (I guarantee you they'll never make it out of their vehicle with the dogs I have...) LOL!

That's sort of what I thought....

So our Congressmen/women are sitting on their patooties, and "SERVE" as "voters wish", and they're racking up the dollars till death do us part, and not to mention the best healthcare they receive...

Uh, ya know... something's seriously up side down with that!!!!!!!!

There are so many, many things that when Bush and Congress were in the majority... they should've done something about all of this...immigration, etc....

I want to vote for somebody that's going to change that for Congress... that's absurd!!!!!!! So they're getting paid for a job they used to do, and when they're voted out - that is the most absurd thing - they still get their pay, and don't do a darned thing.... UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Colmes, do you have any idea where I can go to see exactly how much the taxpayers are expending on Congress now, and the ones who are still alive, etc.?

I "trusted" 'em to do lots of stuff. Never again! It goes without saying those on the Hill have lost touch with We the People.

Give me a strong military, stop the absurd spending, quit giving yourselves raises, quit bailing out the the elitist thieves in the financial industry, quit mortgaging the futures of my grandchildren and their children and grandchildren, trade with others but stay the heck out of entangling alliances, trade agreements and treaties that push me into accepting globalization ilk because I am not going for it , get out of the U.N. and get back to America First.

Nice post. :thumbsup:

I "trusted" 'em to do lots of stuff. Never again! It goes without saying those on the Hill have lost touch with We the People.

Give me a strong military, stop the absurd spending, quit giving yourselves raises, quit bailing out the the elitist thieves in the financial industry, quit mortgaging the futures of my grandchildren and their children and grandchildren, trade with others but stay the heck out of entangling alliances, trade agreements and treaties that push me into accepting globalization ilk because I am not going for it , get out of the U.N. and get back to America First.

That's something I don't understand.......why do they lose sight of what they're in there for??? I've never understood that!!

How come this big companies can get all these handouts of money and yet when we the backbone middle-class of America need some help they scoff at us???

Now I'm not one for handouts I agree in working for what you get but what I'm getting at is we have people in this country that are filing for bankruptcy every day and yet these companies get into a bind and here comes Uncle Sam to help'em out...? That doesn't make a darn lick of sense if ya ask me!!! :rant:

And what's worse is those companies that were crying "We need help...." some of their first piece of the bailout money went to pay big bonuses to their top executives.......?? Now tell me if that ain't fubar'ed....

We make a mistake in our job it's OUR mistake and it's OUR responsibility to clean it up. And we do so in a hurry. We don't sit there waiting for a bonus when we didn't deserve it!!!!!!!

WOW...........I'm sorry, I think I just went way off topic.........