Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year...

HouTex

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

I actually found this link while watching a fairly popular channel on youtube, sxephil.

I would imagine thats where it's getting it's publicity from.

I go to public school, and I havent heard anything about it before today.

Also, theres a bit of language in the bottom video, and is only to show where I recieved the information.

What do you guys think?

It should be an option and not a required course. Some things are better left to parents and other leaders ( pastors , sunday school teachers , RA and GA teachers ) to teach.

I agree it should be an option,and I wanna say that is the way the law reads basiclly the law says if kids/community want a Bible class they should be afforded the chance to have one.

I would never want the state to control The Bible but as far as teaching it there are pastors , sunday school teachers , RA and GA teachers who also teach school so that in and of itself is no big deal. Also I heard of one school distract were the Head footballl coach also taught a Bible class in the high school forthe kids. Talk about a dream job for me coachin football and teaching the Bible

The last time I was in High School we were allowed to take Bible Study as an elective. I didn't take it, it would have been too easy to pass. I don't have a problem with it being an elective. As I've said in other threads, why aren't many of the books that are mentioned in the Bible not included in the Bible. Here we go on that tangent, again.

I think the only problem that I would have is if the teacher tried to teach their own religion through the course, as presented by th YouTube video. He should have pointed out Isaiah 11, instead of "All Good Dogs Go To Heaven".

I don't think that it hurts anyone to visit other churches or study other religions. I've met some great people in all religions, and to me that is our journey in life to know the One true God. I'd prefer that many accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour, but it is not my calling to MAKE people believe what I have a testimony of. I can share it with people, but it is for me to follow Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ has never shoved His Gospel down anyones throats nor did He smite anything but a fig tree.

It doesn't hurt anyone to read The Bible. The only people that it offends is those that fear the teachings of it. They're not afraid to teach Edith Hamilton's rendition of "Greek Mythology" (sophomore English), why are people so afraid of the Bible being read ?

I remember in high school, I signed up for bible class, but unfortunately the class didn't have enough enrollment to pan out. I was really disappointed, because the teacher was really passionate about being able to teach the class and I he taught my speech class the year before, but that's just the way things go sometimes.

I'm confused, do kids have to take it, or are schools required to offer the class as an elective. I don't think we should force kids to take the class. It is good though that schools offer it.

I think an elective just has to be offered.

Whitehouse started one last year, so I don't think it will affect the school.

Interesting. This past year, and I'm not sure if they were doing it before then, but as one of the senior moms to feed the seniors every month... I learned that every day at Harmony, one of the youth director (usually the same one) comes over at lunch time, and they congregate in a room, discuss the Bible, etc...I was pleasantly surprised how many attend.

Now, here's the problem....people, whether pastor, youth director, etc. have differing views on the Bible.

Example: Son comes home and says, Mom, did you know....I said, no, that's not right..."Well, Brother XXXX (youth director) said that it is." Mommy hackles rise... uh-huh. Get on the phone, call my mom... Mom, young'un's being taught X... she says, give me 15 minutes...15 minutes later, not only has she got the answer, but she's coming through the door...(apparently she was looking stuff up while Dad drove)...heads straight to young'uns room... they're in there for an hour or so...me and Dad stay in the living room...Dad says, "I think your mom's fixing to take off that youth director's head." Ya think, Dad? LOL!

3 days later, I'm getting a phone call from youth director...apologizing...(course in the meantime, I'd let the pastor's wife know)...

Parents not only have to watch what their kids are being taught school-wise, but also in religion.

Interesting. This past year, and I'm not sure if they were doing it before then, but as one of the senior moms to feed the seniors every month... I learned that every day at Harmony, one of the youth director (usually the same one) comes over at lunch time, and they congregate in a room, discuss the Bible, etc...I was pleasantly surprised how many attend.

Now, here's the problem....people, whether pastor, youth director, etc. have differing views on the Bible.

Example: Son comes home and says, Mom, did you know....I said, no, that's not right..."Well, Brother XXXX (youth director) said that it is." Mommy hackles rise... uh-huh. Get on the phone, call my mom... Mom, young'un's being taught X... she says, give me 15 minutes...15 minutes later, not only has she got the answer, but she's coming through the door...(apparently she was looking stuff up while Dad drove)...heads straight to young'uns room... they're in there for an hour or so...me and Dad stay in the living room...Dad says, "I think your mom's fixing to take off that youth director's head." Ya think, Dad? LOL!

3 days later, I'm getting a phone call from youth director...apologizing...(course in the meantime, I'd let the pastor's wife know)...

Parents not only have to watch what their kids are being taught school-wise, but also in religion.

What was being taught?

There is a chance taken by the school by allowing this to happen. If they allow the youth director or any kids to meet and discuss the Bible, by federal law, any other group - and I mean any - also has the right to have a classroom to meet. This could include gays, wiccans, satanists, skinheads, black panther wanna bees, etc... I wouldn't expect it to happen at a smaller school such as Harmony, but it has happened in larger districts forcing the district to not allow ANY group facilities to meet. I realize it ####, but it is the law until we can get it changed.

There is a chance taken by the school by allowing this to happen. If they allow the youth director or any kids to meet and discuss the Bible, by federal law, any other group - and I mean any - also has the right to have a classroom to meet. This could include gays, wiccans, satanists, skinheads, black panther wanna bees, etc... I wouldn't expect it to happen at a smaller school such as Harmony, but it has happened in larger districts forcing the district to not allow ANY group facilities to meet. I realize it ####, but it is the law until we can get it changed.

That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it... I thought... uh-oh.... probably one of those, you can do it until somebody complains kind of thing...

Course it was during lunch...and I don't think there's going to be any black panther wanna be's at Harmony...

Stupid question... what's a "wiccan"?

Red I was told a long time ago, that there's not such thing as a "stupid question."

Wicca according to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca

Wicca (pronounced [ˈwɪkə]) is a neopagan, nature-based religion.[1] It was popularised in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant, who at the time called it a "Witch cult" and "Witchcraft", and its adherents "the Wica".[2]

You can found out alot about wicca buy watching Harry Potter http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/harrypo...highlight=wicca

Here is a story about an ole boy who was into the spirits and got out plus thier is a side note about the history of wicca. http://christiananswers.net/q-esp/esp-wicc...highlight=wicca

And as a parent it would be wise to know or be able to discern what wicca/witchcraft is, becuse it is a growing religion and as a school teacher I have seen more and more kids dabble/believe in wicca.

http://aiia.christiananswers.net/resources...highlight=wicca

---------------------------------------

So remember as Christians we are to talk to our kids about The Bible ourselves and not just leave it up to somebody else. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...&version=50;

It is sorta like education so many parents just drop thier kids off at school and never spend time or stop spending time with thier kids when it comes to education, they just give it over to the government and do not understand why our kids as whole are not that smart.

More often than not, this is the area of federal law that allows Christian groups to meet on campus after getting denied by the school system. I used to listen to the ACLJ (not the ACLU) talk show alot and this was the main topic from a good percentage of callers.

You can found out alot about wicca buy watching Harry Potter http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/harrypo...highlight=wicca

Here is a story about an ole boy who was into the spirits and got out plus thier is a side note about the history of wicca. http://christiananswers.net/q-esp/esp-wicc...highlight=wicca

And as a parent it would be wise to know or be able to discern what wicca/witchcraft is, becuse it is a growing religion and as a school teacher I have seen more and more kids dabble/believe in wicca.

So remember as Christians we are to talk to our kids about The Bible ourselves and not just leave it up to somebody else. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...&version=50;

It is sorta like education so many parents just drop thier kids off at school and never spend time or stop spending time with thier kids when it comes to education, they just give it over to the government and do not understand why our kids as whole are not that smart.

I thought that that might be what it was... I totally agree though... gotta stay in your kids' business! When I found something out after the fact, I always got this from my sons, "Mom, if I/we would've told you, you would've been up there!".... YA THINK! or the "Mom, please don't call." but then, I'd get, "Mom, you're going to have to call up there and do something about this," or "Mom, I'm not doing X until you talk to that teacher."

My sons' teachers were always told, if you're fixing to punish them fine, but I want to know first, because I'm coming up there with a danged belt, and we'll see who can swing the hardest! (never had to - LOL!)... I also always told the teachers, if the boys are messing about, not doing what they're supposed to do, all you have to say is, "If you don't straighten up, I'm fixing to call your mom." Worked EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Sorry, got off topic there a bit...

Are you sure you grew up in Gregg Co. ? 7 Pines was notorious as having an area for wiccan meetings in the 80's. True they may have just been rumors, just like the stupid one about them kidnapping blonde haired kids and sacrificing black cats at Holloween. I remember hearing that there was a coven that lived at a house on Marshall Ave, by the Wendy's. The closest thing I've come close to a wiccan is someone with a Motley Crue pendant or t-shirt.

I don't know why anyone would want to believe in a failed religion. However, if there are FCA's and classes on The Bible, as pointed out it opens up a big can of worms. Back in the day, it wouldn't have, but today is a different story.

Another conspiracy theory. I've seen one Harry Potter movie on television, and I watched the Golden Compass. They're fairy tales, not indoctrination of wiccan or satanism. I suppose kids can't watch Sleeping Beauty, The Wizard of Oz, The Lord of the Rings, 70 % of Disney Movies period (hmm, maybe that's not such a bad thing), The Lion, The WITCH, and The Wardrobe, Star Wars, and I could go on and on. That's just a bunch of people with a lot of time on their hands, that want to condemn anything and everything that they don't understand.

I agree with the rest of your statement.

Disciplining a child is never about competition.

Parentofredheads meant it as a joke. I feared my parents discipline, more than I feared any paddling at school. My parents didn't beat me or anything close to the sense of the word. It was simply the feeling that I had when I let them down. I'm sure her sons feel the same way.