Longhorn Running Backs

Eaglefootball

Unless you have a great/quick first step, spread offenses are very difficult for running backs because most of the time you get the ball with little to no built-up momentum.

McGee is a runner that would flourish more in a pro-style offense with a lead blocker...he's not the kind of back that can consistently hit a big gain out of a zone read because he's more of a downhill runner than a scatback.

Unless you have a great/quick first step, spread offenses are very difficult for running backs because most of the time you get the ball with little to no built-up momentum.

McGee is a runner that would flourish more in a pro-style offense with a lead blocker...he's not the kind of back that can consistently hit a big gain out of a zone read because he's more of a downhill runner than a scatback.

Thats why i like Fozzy. He shows good vision and a really good burst. They have a good problem at running back in my opinion. There is no feature back, who cares. They have a guy for every situation. These guys arent just scrubs either. The best recriuting school in the nation wouldnt be paying for these guys school if they werent good. ALL OF THEM!! I just think that fozzy is the best big play threat.

I'm pulling for McGee because of course I'm from Longview as well. Just as was stated earlier, Vondrell is and will be a better back out of the I, which Texas will do a lot more of this year. They are putting Colt under center a lot more this year instead of the shotgun every play.

I watched Vondrell flourish at Longview and I think he can do the same thing at Texas, but the line has to do there job and the Horns can't abandoned the run like we did a lot last year.

Fozzy cannot stay healthy. Great talent, but he just can't stay on the field. Cody Johnson is a short yardage back and that's about it. He just doesn't have the burst and breakaway speed required, which is why he is the short yardage back. Mack is using him in the perfect way. He'll get a few spot carries in the open field every game probably, but his time to shine is goal line and short yardage.

I am not worried about the running game. Texas has got more than enough talent at the rb position. I don't give a rat's @## if they have 1 back have a 1000 yd season or several with 200-400 yds, as long as they get the yards. It worked out pretty well last year against just about everybody including OU.

I think Vondrell is going to kick it up a notch this year, and I think Chris Whaley will be a contributor as well.

Fozzy is dinged up - again - and will not play vs. UL-M.

McGee will start, with Johnson and Newton as backups.

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if UT runs it any more than they did last year. Greg Davis has no problem with using the pass to set up the occasional run - especially on first down :thumbdown: . With a QB like Colt, he gets away with it more times than not, but that is a dangerous way to make a living against top 10 teams. It works out well if the QB can run, which Colt can (but not like VY).

More snaps under center will help the run game, but only if they pass from that formation as well - which historically they have not.

The linup for the Horns coming out of camp was McGee; Johnson and Newton.

Fozzy is potential only; has not played a season; gets injured all the time.

Gotta go with what you got; McGee has had a great camp and Mack is very high on him this year and is particularly laudatory about his strength and toughness. I think he may have a good year if he is successful with pass blocking.

Who knows where Fozzy will fit in; when healthy again; for how long? Wish him luck as they can use his quickness - but last year when he did play he was quick laterally but not north south. OU type LBs like that.

When your QB is the leading rusher on your team you dont really sweat who gets the start and who works in second series... Both guys will get their touches. After colt gets his of course...

What you do worry about when the QB is your top rusher is the true freshman at backup without a snap at #2 QB.

Ive seen some vids recently... Im excited that Newton will get some snaps. He looks like he is least afraid to hit a hole out of all of our backs. And whoever said that Johnson doesnt have explosivness hasnt watched the Texas Vs A&M game apparently. He had more yards in that game than any QB, RB, FB in any other single game that year. Including Ogbonayas 140+ against OU

TX has a stable of backs. Fozzy needs to get well and stay healthy. He's not doing anygood on the bench. Someone needs to step up this season, even if it's Whaley.

I think Cody Johnson is one of those "unknowns" this year. He was a spot player last year; but he's in better shape now and I look forward to him getting a bunch of carries in a game. I think he can wear down a defense. But I do think that McGee will be the man this year and Tre will get his shot and some experience.

TX has a stable of backs. Fozzy needs to get well and stay healthy. He's not doing anygood on the bench. Someone needs to step up this season, even if it's Whaley.

Yes, they have a stable of backs ... the problem is there isn't a thoroughbred in the bunch! Whittaker could be if it weren't for the injury problems.

Thats why i like Fozzy. He shows good vision and a really good burst. They have a good problem at running back in my opinion. There is no feature back, who cares. They have a guy for every situation. These guys arent just scrubs either. The best recriuting school in the nation wouldnt be paying for these guys school if they werent good. ALL OF THEM!! I just think that fozzy is the best big play threat.
lets hope they got one for every situation, we can't count on colt again this year

I think Cody Johnson is one of those "unknowns" this year. He was a spot player last year; but he's in better shape now and I look forward to him getting a bunch of carries in a game. I think he can wear down a defense. But I do think that McGee will be the man this year and Tre will get his shot and some experience.

CJ is outta shape at the moment and if-n-when he does get into shape he can wreck teams in the 4th quarter.