Pleasant Grove New Field

futfan

The new turf is actually SAFER than grass. Many studies say this. This is why UT just went to turf. They had one of the nicest grass fields in the business! Get out of the 1970s!!!

Just curious as to why they didn't go ahead and build a new track around the new field? It sure is nice though!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new turf is actually SAFER than grass. Many studies say this. This is why UT just went to turf. They had one of the nicest grass fields in the business! Get out of the 1970s!!!

Your wrong! There has been a higher percentage of ACL and other knee injuries on turf than on grass. Many studies say this!

I'm glad we agree that "you're" wrong.

Yes, I have read studies. Some studies say Turf is safer and others say Grass is safer. Any study produced either by or in conjunction with and manufacture of Artificial surfaces will say turf is safer. The independent studies especially by Orthopedists and Neuro groups seem to favor grass but I admit it not by an overwhelming number.

The new 3rd generation turf surfaces are far superior than the older types. That is one thing about the artificial surfaces, they can vary in type, like a car (make, model, V6/V8, 2-door, 4-door). Not all artificial surfaces are created equal.

Concussions happen with a little higher frequency and artificial surfaces but again it not a great deal higher. Artificial surfaces for the most part are harder. However, some of the new type are actually softer and have a lower impact rate and concussion rate than frozen grass fields. We just do not happen to have frozen fields in this part of the country.

The newer field turf is very good stuff, I just prefer grass and so do a majority of NFL players. If that mean I'm still in the 70's so be it. I just think the game should be played on grass. With that said I can easily see why teams go to Turf. Turf is more versatile and does provide you with the most efficient product. Turf has a 90% lower maintenance cost and saves hundreds of hours of time. I still believe it is not quite as safe and grass but there is not a great deal of difference.

Just curious as to why they didn't go ahead and build a new track around the new field? It sure is nice though!

There isn't enough room for a track at the new stadium....and why build a new track when PG has very few athletes come out for track to begin with.....the track at Leon Blake stadium is adequate enough.

There isn't enough room for a track at the new stadium....and why build a new track when PG has very few athletes come out for track to begin with.....the track at Leon Blake stadium is adequate enough.

Right on both. If a track were built into the current area, it wouldn't have fit without major land modification. If that were a plausible factor (cost-wise), I would've changed the layout completely.

Seeing how this project was done with a great bang for the buck, I am pleased at how it worked out.

Right now, the middle school has a very good showing (participation) in its track program. having the track resurfaced recently has provided a few more years of good lifespan. Having the facility there for meets makes sense, no real need to spend that much to duplicate a facility that will not really be efficiently used.( bang-for buck again).

I agree with Red that I believe grass is still safer is will maintained and properly prepared. Also agree with Fut that a muddy field is dangerous. That is why I see Grim as the poster of a great grass field. The drainage is good and the field recovers quickly. I can not say the same about LE or Blake. When the turf was laid down at Arkansas High, you bounced across the field. As the rubber has compacted, my legs are more tired coming off the turf field. I also find from time to time the turf "grabs" my cleats (at least I think it is the turf!!!). I can see a kid making a cut having an issue. No doubt better than carpet though. Just my opinion on experience and not a study.

Pleading the fifth is not answering because it may incriminate you. What are you holding back, and why. He just asked where you were from. If we knew, we might agree that your stadium rocks!

As for playing in the mud, nothing wrong with it. I was under the impression that they were not able to prepare it because of the weather. Besides, NB is really a nice surface. No complaints about field conditions affecting the outcome, or contributing to injuries.

OK, I'm from Arkansirius! Serious! :notworthy: :happy65: :alien: :rofl: :notworthy: As far as stadium rocks, its full of rocks. Rock and roll, moon rocks, rock candy, Rock Hudson, rock steady...

Right on both. If a track were built into the current area, it wouldn't have fit without major land modification. If that were a plausible factor (cost-wise), I would've changed the layout completely.

Seeing how this project was done with a great bang for the buck, I am pleased at how it worked out.

Right now, the middle school has a very good showing (participation) in its track program. having the track resurfaced recently has provided a few more years of good lifespan. Having the facility there for meets makes sense, no real need to spend that much to duplicate a facility that will not really be efficiently used.( bang-for buck again).

Same could be said for the soccer program there. If you want to talk about "bang for buck" the 20 fans at PG soccer games, boys and girls, aren't exactly providing bang for your buck. That is a ridiculous argument. No need to put the soccer program in the new facility either since the soccer program won't "sufficiently" use it. PG track, although not great, is more competitive that PG soccer. It's a shame track athletes don't get to advance to the post-season simply by having a team or finishing the year like many soccer teams do. Get real! It's because kids like your's and others don't want to work hard and get on the oval. That's a problem not isolated to PG, though. Just shows your ignorance for the value of track in an athletic program. Again, ridiculous argument!

Same could be said for the soccer program there. If you want to talk about "bang for buck" the 20 fans at PG soccer games, boys and girls, aren't exactly providing bang for your buck. That is a ridiculous argument.

Not sure of your point but it does not make sense to me.

1) A track is an expensive proposition. The point made was moving the track would be expensive and not cost effective. If you know were the new stadium was built , there was not room for a track.

2) Most school use their football field for soccer.

3) Are we encouraging participation on the field of our youth (which soccer provides). Who cares who watches in 30 degree damp weather in January? By the way PG does better than most schools putting bums in the stands.

4) PG has a competitive soccer program within their district. Are they going to win state? No.

From what I have seen, this will be a fun place to watch football and soccer.

Also Blake has sufficient stands to handle a track crowd.

The issue is space to accommedate - not importance of the program.

Bordertown I completely agree with you that it is not about the importance of the program. I was arguin that point with his statement that "there is no need to spend money on another facility that will not be efficiently used" becasue as he state earlier along with golfer that there weren't many athletes that come out for track!!

Same could be said for the soccer program there. If you want to talk about "bang for buck" the 20 fans at PG soccer games, boys and girls, aren't exactly providing bang for your buck. That is a ridiculous argument. No need to put the soccer program in the new facility either since the soccer program won't "sufficiently" use it. PG track, although not great, is more competitive that PG soccer. It's a shame track athletes don't get to advance to the post-season simply by having a team or finishing the year like many soccer teams do. Get real! It's because kids like your's and others don't want to work hard and get on the oval. That's a problem not isolated to PG, though. Just shows your ignorance for the value of track in an athletic program. Again, ridiculous argument!

I think before you assume my kids have not run on the oval, you had better be sure of whom you speak. Unless you know who I am, how do you know what events my kids ran in? I think you owe an apology.

As for Soccer, it is almost no cost at all to add Soccer to the new facility, compared to the cost of modifying the entire stadium layout to accomodate a track.

Track and Cross Country students do have the opportunity to advance as individuals to higher levels toward State, regardless of team results. Soccer players do not, I think you have it backwards.

Arguing the success of one program over another is not somewhere I'm going, as I have had kids in both. I support both. I will not pit one against the other.

I am not ignorant of the value of a track program. Nor or my kids afraid to get out and "work hard" .My kids saw a big increase in endurance during the soccer season, which is a big part of why they wanted to do it. It helped out both sports.

Why bring up Soccer? I am curious.

If you really want to know about the soccer fans, or were at the games, you would know. If not, here are some points...

Games are played outdoors in Winter. 80 minutes in other than winter wear for the athletes.

More than 20 fans show up. Except on the longest road trip in foulest weather, I don't remember seeing that few.

At track and cross country meets, I almost never saw any students or non-family. It was always just us and the school photographers. At Soccer games, we did have students brave the weather to come out and cheer. Not at all the numbers for the big 3 sports, but some.

PS: I do go to, and insist my kids go to events in every sport at their school at least once per year. If they expect to see fans at theirs, they need to be one at the others.

talk about "bang for buck"

The bang for the buck, or efficiency of use, was not a dig on track athletes not being worth a new facility. I was referring to the fact that we got a nice new stadium at a very attractive price. Utilizing the lay of the land as it were was a good way to keep the cost down. The bleachers do not require any support structure, land work was kept to a minimum, and the seating is very much along what 3A schools need.

Considering the cost that would be added to the project for a new track to be included, when PGISD has recently (2-3yrs) resurfaced the one at the middle school shows that our administrators did what we expect them to do, be fiscally prudent with our tax dollars. Could we really expect one of them to step up and defend themselves on this issue based on these facts, had they decided to pursue the expense of a new track, also?

Believe me, I would have loved it if had been a part of the new project. It would be great to go to the new place for meets. I had already given thought to where to lay out the 5K for Cross country. But at the cost to the Taxpayers, I think the right choice was made.