JV Football

uniballer

I know that JV football has its place, and I do not in any way want to cheapen what those young men do, but is there anything more overrated than the record of your JV team?

I see year in and year out in all of these preview magazines about how Jim Bob's JV went 9-1. Well think about something, if a kid is in the 10th grade and can play, you are going to have him on Varsity. In bigger schools I can understand that JV teams are full of players who could start on small school varsity teams. But in 1A-3A, if a kid is on your JV, it is because the kid needs work or because he is a move-in or something of that nature.

My point is that just because your JV went 9-1, it doesn't mean your future is good. Your opponents may have had their best sophomores playing on the varsity. Anyone else see what I'm saying?

I know that JV football has its place, and I do not in any way want to cheapen what those young men do, but is there anything more overrated than the record of your JV team?

I see year in and year out in all of these preview magazines about how Jim Bob's JV went 9-1. Well think about something, if a kid is in the 10th grade and can play, you are going to have him on Varsity. In bigger schools I can understand that JV teams are full of players who could start on small school varsity teams. But in 1A-3A, if a kid is on your JV, it is because the kid needs work or because he is a move-in or something of that nature.

My point is that just because your JV went 9-1, it doesn't mean your future is good. Your opponents may have had their best sophomores playing on the varsity. Anyone else see what I'm saying?

I agree 100%

Yeah, even though your post is 100% correct i do like to hear about my JV doing good. However, it doesnt always mean that your team the following year will be good or bad. Alot of times for the bigger 4a-5a schools the most successful JV is the one with the most JRs. Thats the reason why i completely agree with your post.

It might be a little overrated. But, I think it is a good indicator of the overall depth of the football program. Not all kids that could play on varsity do play on varsity. If the varsity team is deep coaches will leave athletes on JV so that they will get playing time. Having those kids on the JV team helps the JV win ball games. So, it is at least an indicator of depth.

I agree to a point. My only disagreement would be in the fact that a good jv season keeps those kids hungry that are moving up the next year. That's going to be the case this year for us (Sabine.) Our JV had a 5-5 season last year. Not an overly impressive record by any stretch, but keep in mind that this was the first taste of success any of these kids have had in football. Not just a .500 record, but ANY win. The vast majority of those kids are now varsity players, and believe me, you can see a huge difference in the team from last year to this one already, so yeah. I think that having a good jv record can translate to the varsity level. We'll see, anyway. We're off to a good start.